EV Pusher meets Eco trekker ...

Alternative Fuels of all sorts, Biodiesel, Electric, Human Power, Steam, etc.

Moderator: TMAX

GoodClue

EV Pusher meets Eco trekker ...

Post by GoodClue »

Sharkey,

Did the Aussies ever complete their cross-country trip, and did they complete their video? Maybe I've not dug deep enough, I'd like to see the finished product.

I know they see things differently, I dated an Aussie lady, wish I'd followed her back home like she wanted ...

Saw an Aussie documentary on a fellow doing a cross country BMW motorcyle trip ... the crew set up ahead of a road wash-out and filmed him flying through the air instead of warning him in advance ... they did get him and the bike fixed up and completed the film ...

Just wondering ... your stories are excellent, your studies and info exceptional ...

Doug
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

I thought that I had an accounting of the remainder of the Eco Trekker crew's trip written up somewhere, but I can't find it in emails or on the forum, so here it is again:

They managed to straggle across the country, getting hooked up with alternatively fueled vehicles and free thinkers, eventually landing in New York in December. While crossing one of the bridges in the snow there, the awning on the RV came dislodged and was ripped off the coach. The crew were all cranky and tired, sick of being cooped up together, and hated the bitter cold of the Northeast.

I understand that they all flew back home to Oz for the rest of the North American winter to thaw out. At some point, the investors of the filming insisted that they return to the US to complete their task, crossing the country from east to west, returning to their departure point. This stage of the trip was not very clearly described in their online journal, and I have the idea that it was rushed, undertaken in a less than concerted effort in order to get back and finish the journey. While the eastbound trip took months, the westbound one took only a week or two.

The Ecotrekker film footage was eventually edited into thirteen episodes and put on the market as an adventure story. The name was changed to Coolfuels Roadtrip, and it ended up playing as an independent series on late night TV. In fact, I just got a message last night from a friend in Seattle who had seen me on the box.

I was supplied a DVD copy of episode #2, in which I appear. What exactly happens in the other episodes, I have no idea, I've never seen any of them.