Sustainable Living Site

When you own that piece of land that you return to occasionally. You may wish to construct an off grid dwelling. This is the place to discuss different construction methods, materials, and types. Think straw bale, earth ship, yurt, etc..

Moderator: TMAX

yugogypsy

Sustainable Living Site

Post by yugogypsy »

Thought you might like to check this out, an encyclopedia of sustainable living

http://www.appropedia.org/Welcome_to_Appropedia
Bash On Regardless!
dburt

Post by dburt »

Back "in the good old days" I used to read Mother Earth News every now and then to learn such things as how to turn an old washing machine into a minature greenhouse, how to plant your own veggies in an old bathtube, how to build your own cordwood house on a $200 budget, etc.

A couple of years ago we subcribed to it again, and although the rag has matured somewhat along with the rest of us, it is still good for some helpful ideas on raising your own food, veggie and/or animal type, and lots of other good ideas for sustainable/inexpensive living such as going solar, using wind power to help lower electricity bills, etc.

As oil prices go up, and the cost of food, utilities, and most everything else goes up along with it, many of us will need to learn or relearn some basic cost saving measures to survive.
yugogypsy

Sustainable Living Site

Post by yugogypsy »

I never subscribed to Mother Earth, but I did read it, and still have a few copies tucked away for essential things like a plan to build a milking stand for a goat and worm composting.

I've got an acre, all paid for, so I may as well do something with it. I've got about 1/10th of it in vegetable gardens now and plan to do more, plus I have a few chickens, and want a few more, and some milking goats for eating brush + house milk and either a veal calf for using any extra milk or a neutered male goat for chevon.

Once I get the house sorted out, I can go on to getting the place fenced and then build more pallets sheds and get more animals.

:) Lois
Bash On Regardless!
graydawg

Post by graydawg »

Mother Earth magazine was good years ago, they have went high tech now though, it's a shame I loved reading the articles on projects and what other people were building James in da GRAYDAWG
I ONCE WAS A MIGHTY GREYHOUND
I THEN GOT OLD AND RETIRED
I LOST MY SEATS AND GOT A NEW GIG
I AM NOW A HAULIN SOME OLD DAWGS &
I BECAME THE GRAYDAWG
yugogypsy

Sustainable Living Site

Post by yugogypsy »

I agree James, both Mother Earth and Countryside have gone all glossy with adverts and there's not so much good substance to the articles anymore or helpful hints on how to do things on a shoestring.

Lois
Bash On Regardless!
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

I get Mother Earth both in paper and in my email. If you want I'll forward it to you kids 8)
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
splummer

Post by splummer »

dburt wrote:Back "in the good old days" I used to read Mother Earth News every now and then to learn such things as how to turn an old washing machine into a minature greenhouse, how to plant your own veggies in an old bathtube, how to build your own cordwood house on a $200 budget, etc.

A couple of years ago we subcribed to it again, and although the rag has matured somewhat along with the rest of us, it is still good for some helpful ideas on raising your own food, veggie and/or animal type, and lots of other good ideas for sustainable/inexpensive living such as going solar, using wind power to help lower electricity bills, etc.

As oil prices go up, and the cost of food, utilities, and most everything else goes up along with it, many of us will need to learn or relearn some basic cost saving measures to survive.
not to much into mother earth now ,country side ok ,we have a script to back woods home and even that is starting to repeat it self,
your right many people out there will have to learn new skills, i think our choices now will determine of our outcome, not to be doomy glommy but we are going to be facing some real hard challenges ,just hope every body is ready.
just because you ride the bus , it doesnt make you a bus person
the bus stopped and i got on and thats how it all began
Headache

Post by Headache »

I used to subscribe to Mother back in the 80's right before it went political and readership dropped. I picked it back up again when they went back to the old format.

I haven't read it regular in quite awhile other than picking up the occasional issue but I'd love to start reading it again. I'll take you up on that Dennis and donate to the cause as well.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

I'll take you up on that Dennis and donate to the cause as well.
Next time it comes I'll forward it to you. No need to chip in just pay it forward on your end some time 8)
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
yugogypsy

Sustainable Living Site

Post by yugogypsy »

If anybody wants to come up and help with the garden this year we can bottle up a bunch of stuff for you to take home.

Home canned food crosses border okay. :D

HUGS TO ALL
Lois
Bash On Regardless!