something good happening in my town

When you own that piece of land that you return to occasionally. You may wish to construct an off grid dwelling. This is the place to discuss different construction methods, materials, and types. Think straw bale, earth ship, yurt, etc..

Moderator: TMAX

splummer

something good happening in my town

Post by splummer »

with all the doom and gloom that happening in the country something good is coming out of it ,at least in my town anyways.we live in very rural western maine ,nothing but mts and trees, no bussiness ,stores etc ,to buy a beer you haveto travel at least 40 miles to get one ,so ,over the years we learn to do with out or learn to make our own.well anyways yesterday 2 guys started their own garage bussiness, their rates are more then fair even like to trade for their labor,over the years i have taken on more projects then i can handle so this morning i traded my old gmc duece and a half for some much needed work on my dodge m 37 power wagon, both paties happy with this arrangment, now i see some light at the end of the tunnel as far as getting some things done, i wish theseguys all the luck . steve
just because you ride the bus , it doesnt make you a bus person
the bus stopped and i got on and thats how it all began
splummer

Re: something good happening in my town

Post by splummer »

i should add that this gives us more time now to do other things around here ,like working in our garden ,which gets bigger every year .and having time to do our maple in late winter , last year it got a little overwhelming and had a friend help out .like i said before living here we do most things on our own. steve
Headache

Post by Headache »

Maple, mmmmmmmmmmm me loves me some maple sugar! :P
splummer

Post by splummer »

me too :D
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

"Trade" may be something we all have to do more of in the times to come. I've never been part of anyplace that even came close to being self sufficient, but I see more and more people giving gardening a try. I guess a lot of them won't take it very far but it shows how people are thinking these day. Probably not a bad thing, actually.

Rufus
Headache

Post by Headache »

I love the idea of being able to produce my own food. This way I know where it came from, I know what's in it and I can read all the ingredients. This is also why I make my cat's food as well, he's much healthier now than he was 2 years ago because of it.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

> make my cats food...

Headache, that could be one lucky cat! My mother fed one of our Siamese raw beef kidney every day for the last 10 years of his life - started when he was 11 years old...

Rufus
dburt

Post by dburt »

As the economy worsens, and more folks either end up losing thier homes, or have much less disposable income it appears that perhaps many folks will have to band together to help each other out. More bartering, more give and take, and all of this might not be bad. Unless of course you live in the middle of a big city and don't even know who your neighbors are! :roll:
splummer

Post by splummer »

trading still happening around here what do you have to trade