Changes at Miracle Acre

When you own that piece of land that you return to occasionally. You may wish to construct an off grid dwelling. This is the place to discuss different construction methods, materials, and types. Think straw bale, earth ship, yurt, etc..

Moderator: TMAX

rlaggren

Re: Changes at Miracle Acre

Post by rlaggren »

Lois,

The forum (actually any forum) waxes and wanes over time. I've seen it in many others. This one had to redeploy after Sharky decided he didn't want to be a landlord any more. That's a real hard hit for any group, the culture changing, people pissed off wiping everything they can from their posts, the whole nine yards. "It just ain't the same" for sure, but how could it be otherwise? Stuart probably doesn't have the time to invest that Sharky (it was really Sharky's baby and a true labor of love) and the folks posting now are mostly geared toward vehicle and tech stuff.

I think the theme is pretty good and I try to keep the contact going w/all who post but w/out getting into any sex/politics/religion/back-biting or any other stuff that makes to divide and upset people or just gets doesn't seem to go anyplace good. We got enough of that lotsa other places.

It's good to hear from folks like you. You live way differently than I do and I do admire your "bash on" spirit. <g> Me, I'm pretty staid, middle class still in a boat, but part time in a house now. I'm lucky enough to have just about enough coin to fix things as they break and keep going; it's pretty darn close, though. Maybe in the future I'll try to down size back to the boat or into a bus or something. Believe me, (I guess you know!) keeping a house going after years of neglect is LOTS of work and time. Gotta do it to keep the two tenants paying and I actually like that kind of work but if there's a change there... Who knows?

Cheers

Rufus
yugogypsy

Post by yugogypsy »

Oh, I wasn't expecting this forum to be Sharkey's , I realize that Stuart and all the mods have things on the go.

I'm wishing I had $5000 right now, I'd downsize to a 24 ft Riviera Star sailboat called "Anastar" after my late friend Anna. I am FURIOUS :evil: with her sons for putting it up for sale after I spent 3 days on my hands and knees cleaning it.

Plus they've peeved me off in a few other ways. But I'd buy that boat, Anna's pride and joy, little boat needs her keel fixed but there's a maritime center here that helps boat owners do their own repairs. If you have a membership you have access to tools and technicians. In this case I'd need instruction on how to scrape the keel down (rust on steel or iron keel) and put a special coating on it and then the anti-fouling paint. I had her bottom scraped by a diver pal of mine and he put new zinc discs on her.

I'm sure you know that tune if you're living aboard.

My house is coming along slowly, main focus is the garden right now.

Take Care and Keep Well
Lois
Last edited by yugogypsy on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bash On Regardless!
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Lois, you want a 26' Columbia w/the interior taken out, needing refit in all ways, but good sailor and hull sound... I'll give it to you free. Only problem, it's in South San Francisco. I thought I'd get the time to "make it right", but that doesn't look like a good bet anymore.

Around here these boats are dime a dozen and I'm having a hard time GIVING it away. If you cruise the marinas and talk to the people (the officials are the best info but you cause less waves by talking with the denizens) I think you might find many boats of the kind you describe going for lien auction. Around here they can't get rid of them for love or money and boy would they like too! The harbor is usually on the hook for disposing a boat that it can't sell and that takes upwards of $1000/boat (sometimes way upwards...). So if you get the feel of the situation, then wait until _after_ the auction when the harbor still has 3 or 4 boats on its hands you might be able to make an offer, say $200 that would make everybody happy. They'll grouse and moan about back rent and all the stuff - but shucks, you have $200 and that's all you have... Do they want it? <G>

But be aware: 1) Know the law where you are about how to get rid of the boat - ie. if you canNOT get somebody to take if from you, are you liable for big $$$ if you walk away from it? Are you judgment proof? Check it out ahead of time. 2) Check out _exactly_ what is required to get approved for a slip for you boat. Do you have to run it over to the harbor master's office under it's own power? Does it have to look nice? And any stuff on the application.. Nail it down ahead of time, maybe get the application approved before you hand the harbor any money (if you get it on a lien sale). 3) (Duh!) Know the rent and consider how much having the boat will be worth to you.

Oh, and this is ONLY a plausible idea if the boat is glass. NO WOOD. Don't worry about that one particular boat. There are MANY sitting around out there for way less than that price.

Rufus
yugogypsy

Post by yugogypsy »

Rufus,

I'm keeping every receipt for moorage and everything else, I thought ahead about this. Moorage is $215.00 per month, and I'm NOT going to put up the advertising they want me to because there is no point in it. In the past 24 hours I have seen everything from a pair of sea-doos to a Cadillac parked by the road with For Sale signs on them and EVERY time I pointed them out to Roly--"SEE---EVERYONE is getting rid of their toys"

He is the only one that sort of wants the boat, but he doesn't want to live on the coast anymore.

If I play my cards right I'll have a set of keys to it by next week--I told them I'd show the boat because they are always busy and further from the boat than me.

And I'm not going to spare the truth--anyone who looks at Anastar gets the whole truth--she needs repairs and the damn owners are too lazy to do it.

I can do this, it's as simple as small claims court except for one thing--they never ASKED me to pay the moorage, I did it voluntarily to keep the boat for Roly.

But the rest of the family don't want it AND I KNOW they don't have the money to challenge me in small claims!

If it weren't me, it would be the sherriff taking the boat away for unpaid moorage.

They are stupid and stupid will lose them that boat. I'm not expecting too much of a fight. They'll be glad to pass the responsibility on to someone else.

Once I get keys I'll be able to move it if I have to, we got her started the other night (9.9 yamaha inboard/outboat in a compartment)

Sails are good, needs some ropes and pulleys though and oh gee I have a neighbour who was 30 years in the boat business to get advice from too, plus the maritime center :) Oops, Rolly here, bye
Last edited by yugogypsy on Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bash On Regardless!
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Here's an alternative housing situation. Biggest problem I can see is that it cost so much to start. Then moving it would be a bear!

http://airplanehome.com/
yugogypsy

Post by yugogypsy »

Little too big, would straddle my acre and stick out into Natalie's yard next door!

I think my van is hexed, first the trans was acting funny, then the spark plugs got filthy, now the wipers don't want to work unless you get out and wiggle them after turning on the switch! :banghead:

:D And Roly got karma for treating me like s***, their hot water tank started leaking when they are trying to sell the house!

It won't sell in a hurry, economic situation is lousy in this area. :roll: Glad I don't want to sell my house. Don't need to, it's all paid for, just needs repairs.

Somebody please loan me a plumber, I need a hot water tank put in too, but mine died due to running dry when the well pump quit.

Tired of boiling water and taking sponge baths in a tin tub after 18 months.

Rufus--google "Southern Dawn" or look up Chatterbox Falls trip 2008 and you'll see my favorite boat of all time. a 65 footer that was a purse seiner and now she's a longliner.

Wouldn't want to scrub her down, but I would, cause I love her and she's worth scrubbing, cost 1 cool million brand new in 1980!

Take Care all
Lois
Bash On Regardless!
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

I assume your water heater is electric and the element burned out? Home depot has elements and if they don't, a local plumbing supply does. Just get the specs (voltage, wattage, top element or bottom or both) s/b on a tag somewhere on the heater. You need to buy a special socket (about $15?) for the elements unless you know a mechanic w/big sockets and the element s/come w/its gasket. Probably need to take a hammer to the end of the breaker bar on the socket to get the old one loose, then it's pretty obvious. Take a pic or write down where the wires go before you take them off. Use pipe dope when you install the new element. Clean the area where the gasket seats if it uses one. It's been a while since I change one of these - IIRC the elements are about $30 but I could be off a little. Usually electric WH's don't rot their tanks as fast as the gas ones so they can last 15 years or more w/a little luck.

Rufus
yugogypsy

Post by yugogypsy »

Thanks Rufus but I was given a 2 year old hot water tank in excellent condition, just waiting on my plumber and electrician to get it all hooked up.

I'm more interested in changing my garden next year. We've been growing the same old things for years and it's time for a change. Different beans and peas to see what other varieties will grow here and some different squash.

I also need to get more Alpine type strawberries and I'll be selling the runners from the bigger varieties I have.

Rick and I are going to sort all our seeds after we harvest this year, we've got seeds that are YEARS old that we have to toss out and replace.

I stayed up most of the night watching "The Victorian Kitchen Garden" on DVD, check You Tube, it's on there, 1 episode at a time! (BBC special)

I had the book about it and got the DVD used from Amazon.uk

I hope all is well with you.

Cheers
Lois
Bash On Regardless!
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

You might try testing the old seed before pitching it. I have had a LOT of seeds that were years old sprout and grow.

Oldest was a little jar of Christmas Lima beans I found one time that my great grandma had grown. I remember seeing them and eating them when I was a kid. Anyway, I found them in a box my grandma had of her stuff, so planted some. The were probably about 14 - 15 years old at the time and most of them were dead, but probably 15% still grew. Gave me enough to get some seed stock for following years. Still growing the ancestors now. That was almost 40 years ago now... I stopped growing them about 3 years ago, since don't have enough room now. Gonna start back up when get a little patch of land...
yugogypsy

Post by yugogypsy »

Thanks Stealth,

The seeds we have are so old they are either falling apart or have turned an ugly color.

But anything that looks good I'll "proof" with damp paper towel and see if they'll grow.

Cheers
Lois
Bash On Regardless!
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

That does not sound promising. The ones I had looked ok when I started....
yugogypsy

Post by yugogypsy »

Well the hot water tank is plumbed in--for free :D , because my plumber is also my friend and gave me a birthday present! :)

Now to wait on the electrician, him I have to pay. :(

Rufus, Anastar is no longer for sale :) , 2 trips out sailing convinced Roly he was making a mistake in selling her, so now him, his brother Dan and I are going to look after and maintain the boat. We're joining the maritime society to have access to their shop and technicians so we can fix that rusty keel and get new anti-fouling paint on. We'll probably be doing that in August.

The garden is doing great, but I'm lacking help. The two helpers I thought I was getting changed their minds--AFTER I got the camper ready for habitation and put up a cot in my spare room. I'm not impressed :x

oh well, on the bright side, my very first sweetheart, from when I was 13 called to wish me happy birthday and it's always good to hear from him. I'll have to write him a letter later. :)

Take Care All
Cheers
Lois
Bash On Regardless!
yugogypsy

Post by yugogypsy »

WE HAVE HOT WATER!!!

The plumber showed up on Friday and put the tank in and the electrician showed up today and wired it up to my new fuse panel!

Now just to get the shower installed and we can give up sponge baths from a tin tub! :D

Cheers
Lois
Bash On Regardless!
yugogypsy

Post by yugogypsy »

Raining today and Rick is working for Jennifer. We did some work in the yard yesterday, Rick cut down some stinging nettles and we both pulled out a lot of cleavers that were climbing our favorite wild huckleberry bush.

LOL there's a lot to do in the southwest corner of the property, if it's nicer weather tomorrow I'll get Rick started on digging out a stump and I'll trim some brush.

Our strawberries are nearly ready, I'm going to sell some and put the money towards my "fix the Anastar" fund.

I'm looking forward to learning how to fix her, not looking forward to listening to Roly grumbling because I dragged him back to the coast again.

Tough beans, it's his boat. I'll have to have a serious talk with him and just tell him I don't like being here by myself and solely responsible for a boat that's NOT mine!

He says he can't get work here--well that is a bunch of horse droppings :roll: , he just doesn't want work that pays less than $12 per hour.

He also doesn't want to be around some of his family that's here, well he's lived in a camper here at my place before and he can do it again,,and help me with my house renovations and my garden and learn about aquaponics and growing food all year. :!:

Sure is nice to have hot water again, smaller tank but it does the job, now I just have to get Rick to finish taking the bathroom apart and get my friend Gillian's hubby to put in a different window before we install the shower.

Wish me luck everyone
Cheers
Lois
Bash On Regardless!
yugogypsy

Post by yugogypsy »

Oops, that should have been southeast corner of the property. :oops:

Rick finally got the big lawnmower going after I dragged it up to the house from the woodshed, now I just have to take the little mower to the shop because he never did put it back together. :x

The garden is growing, the beets finally came up along with a few other things we'd just about given up hope on. :roll:

I am going to be taking some of the plants I have in pots by the greenhouse for a walk down the trail out back and dumping them out--stuff that Rick brought home that I didn't want.

All our garden growing friends share their plants and we get stuff I detest all too often.

Example: we have a ton of baby kale growing by the manure pile, but Rick brought home kale to eat from Ruth's today---totally unnecessary! :banghead:

I need my gardening/sailing/dinner partner back, so I guess I will be going to the Kootenays and dragging him back here.

Wish me luck everyone
Lois
Bash On Regardless!