Anybody thinking of their gardens yet?

When you own that piece of land that you return to occasionally. You may wish to construct an off grid dwelling. This is the place to discuss different construction methods, materials, and types. Think straw bale, earth ship, yurt, etc..

Moderator: TMAX

Stealth Camper

Re: Anybody thinking of their gardens yet?

Post by Stealth Camper »

Peppers do well in very hot weather, as long as they get water. Probably not hot enough in Canada to really thrive. We had about 60 days over 100 degrees F last year. Quite a few over 110. And we have been in extreme drought for over two years. This year, we got some rain...finally!!

Do I remember you saying you have a greenhouse? Might try leaving the peppers in that for the summer. And leave it pretty much closed up so it gets hot! They will love you for it...
splummer

Post by splummer »

every thing that was planted did great this year, garden already for next year :) steve
just because you ride the bus , it doesnt make you a bus person
the bus stopped and i got on and thats how it all began
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

I planted two tomato plants in a pot at the front of my trailer...didn't work. Now, looking at 5 acres in NE Oklahoma. Should have plenty of space there! Gonna start small - last time I had access to more than a city lot, we ended up with 1/2 acre garden that just about killed me to keep up with! Gotta pace myself this time.
splummer

Post by splummer »

2 more months for me, if the snow is gone
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

I planted radishes and carrots last week. Noticed this morning that some of them are starting to come up.
flxible

Post by flxible »

over here on Vancouver Island, I've got peas in, some of which are just peeking up, and have a range of things seeded in flats in a greenhouse, soil temps are up enough steady for things to jump .... greenhouse is the "greek salad garden", tomatoes, peppers and cukes, with a row of peas along one side and a row of basil down the other, usually all going well by mid-may .... happy eating! :D
splummer

Post by splummer »

may be the end of may for us up here still have snow, been snowing here today
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Radishes are up. Got a 28 degree freeze last night, so they may get damaged. Saturday was 84. Sunday was high of 43. Back to psycho-weather time.... tornadoes coming soon!

And now, to make everything just THAT much better, I heard on the news that we have had more earthquakes than California this year. Fracking is such fun.... (that is not an obscenity in the classical sense - it is the pressure technique used by oil drillers to pressurize a well and get more production. It is NOT a 'clean' way to drill either.)

The 5 acre thing I mentioned previously fell through - major letdown. The next weekend after that, we drove around and SWMBO said, "I feel like we are going to find our place today...." We saw a few places that looked interesting so called about some of them. Long story short - we found 20 acres. Trying to get it now. We have a signed sales contract, financing in place and ready to write a check. Just waiting on survey and title search! Then I gotta build a barn....and everything that goes in and around it on a nice size acreage. Have good neighbors on 3 sides. 4th side - haven't met, but have heard they are a little "odd". Stand-offish. Sounds good, too. It's all good.....

Flat pasture. Possible place for a pond, if the old oil pipelines across the area can be cleanly removed. 6 trees. 1 honey locust (think long sharp spikes all over). 5 Hackberry. Plenty of room for orchard, garden, barn, shop, house, a couple of cows. Already have a 'deal' worked out with one neighbor to let my cows use their pond for water, and let us use it for fishing and duck hunting! In exchange, I let their cows share the back 5 or 6 acres to eat with my cows. Barter at its best - this may just work.

Now I am looking for someone who will process chickens (butcher them) for half the bird - I will let them have all the white meat and we get all the dark meat.

I ramble....there is so much to plan, do, think about... geez, what have we done? Now I have somewhere to put the bus that will be with me - not stored!! Maybe now I can work on it!! Oh, and the trailer...and cars...and woodworking projects....gonna need a sawmill...!!

And this state in its "infinite wisdom" passed a law today that gives utility companies the right to charge an extra surcharge to any customer that has either solar panels or windmill power generation trying to reduce their electric bill. And the great lament in these here parts is how to get good companies to move here and bring good jobs with them..... this ought to help a lot! Not.
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Are you sure you're not here in California with me? That new law sounds like something our legislature would pass :lol:
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

We are in a reality distortion zone here that is literally breathtaking to witness. We are in a frenzy to do everything we can to actually reduce the standard of living of everyone in the state, from leaving roads/bridges in decay to cutting education funds - by a couple hundred million dollars (small for CA, but very big numbers considering the population and tax base here).

It is a beautiful place to live - especially in northeast of state - and the spring storms are monumental!! But being the "reddest of the red" brings a set of issues that we struggle with every day. And doesn't help bring in "new"... we do have a good sized google facility here, and they have buildings/land to expand. But I am gonna bet they will not continue to expand with that, depending on how much that surcharge is. google uses a lot of solar.....but the low wage rate here may offset that to keep them going. We will see....
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

The two large pots I have are full of plants! One is loaded with tiger lilies that are just starting to bloom! They should be very nice.

The second one started out with an "icicle" radish that bolted to seed too soon. I got to eat a few, but they were about like eating fire!! Similar to what I would expect a bit of lit charcoal to be like. There is a Cherokee Purple tomato in the pot now, starting to grow nicely. If it doesn't get too hot, too soon, should be good. Now have 20 acres to plan for, so next years garden should be a little bigger....