Anybody thinking of their gardens yet?

When you own that piece of land that you return to occasionally. You may wish to construct an off grid dwelling. This is the place to discuss different construction methods, materials, and types. Think straw bale, earth ship, yurt, etc..

Moderator: TMAX

yugogypsy

Anybody thinking of their gardens yet?

Post by yugogypsy »

I got my seed catalogs weeks ago and my nieces and nephew are going to help with the garden this year.

Ought to be good fun, especially for my littlest great-nieces, they are 5 and 2, LOL, I bet their Mom has some mud-pie laundry to clean up!

We're going to start pretty soon as niece Erin has some time off coming up.

Going to grow veggies for a couple of friends too, going to be a VERY intensive gardening effort this year.

Happy Valentine's Day All

Lois :)
Bash On Regardless!
splummer

Re: Anybody thinking of their gardens yet?

Post by splummer »

yep been thinking , still months away but thinking, its going to be huge this year
just because you ride the bus , it doesnt make you a bus person
the bus stopped and i got on and thats how it all began
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Whole lot of wishing, but doesn't look good for this year. Casually starting the search for that little piece of land, so not gonna take the time to do one at the soon to be previous place. Am more than ready!
yugogypsy

Post by yugogypsy »

Only thing new here this year is gardening in straw bales and having the family to help.

I've got my seed catalogues, just have to order some seeds and seed potatoes + onion sets. We've saved enough seed over the last few years to do the rest.

:) Lois
Bash On Regardless!
splummer

Post by splummer »

already started our garden,on paper that is .also stated some inside ,hope its a good year
yugogypsy

Post by yugogypsy »

yeah, that's as far as we've gotten too, drew the garden plan, my family is not being as helpful as promised and my partner is being a lazy pig! :evil:

LOIS!
Bash On Regardless!
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Got some hot red chili pepper seeds from brother in law over Christmas. Nothing real special, except that he has been growing and saving the seed for a long, long time. Starting some in peat pots. 3 are up this week, with two more expected. Hopefully. Have two large pots to put these in real soon.
splummer

Post by splummer »

as a rule we plant on memorial day ,usually by then the danger of a frost is pretty much over .so we start lots of plants indoors during march,mostley plants that need at least 90 daze for harvest.i always grow chile peppers ,one thing iam doing this year is fenceing the garden, due to an increasing deer population. we have a long wait before planting ,at present we are getting sno and theforecast is about a foot , march up here is a sno month , abot mid april warmer weather starts coming in and the sno disappears, i hope, despite all the weather reports claiming we have a below average snow pack i have to say we are deep with sno. lat week it looked like the sap was running but now it stopped , been to cold , hopefully it will start running ,
yugogypsy

Post by yugogypsy »

We're all fenced in here and usually start stuff in the cabbage family in the greenhouse about now.

My niece got sick on her time off so we've had no help so far. Got a helper from Help Exchange coming March 12th so hopefully we'll get something done after that.

My other favorite gardening buddy is up in the Nelson area of B.C. visiting his brother until the end of the month so he'll get home just in time for his birthday and starting the first beans and peas in the greenhouse.

My partner has been busy with other peoples gardens again so I think we are going to have a repeat performance of last years nothing to put up for winter because he WON'T help.

Guess I be the little red hen and do as much as I can of it by myself

Lois
Bash On Regardless!
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Now have half a dozen cayenne pepper seedlings. The pressure is now on to come up with some kind of large pot that can survive our summers. Was looking today at store, and am now thinking about buying two pots - one about 22" and a smaller one about 18". Get a couple cans of "Great Stuff" foam, spray it into the larger one, then push the smaller one into it. Finish filling the sides. Might keep the sun from heating up the dirt directly quite as much as single pot.

Add a small mister over the area, and it might just work. Maybe.
yugogypsy

Post by yugogypsy »

I went out and took pictures of my garden this morning. I have a friend who has never seen my garden so I'll be mailing him some pictures, plus a picture of Pit Stop because he thinks it's funny that I got a bus.

Pit Stop is not funny, she's a very good shed, just needs a bath :oops:

Mercy needs a bath too, she's turning green and so is my Dodge Caravan. :oops:

Too cold to play with the hose yet though.

We've got kale and some other greens in the garden that wintered over. Rick has been having mixed salads for supper. But the nettles aren't up yet and Rick wants nettle tea and steamed nettles.

He's working for our friend Ken today so maybe the nettles are up over there, they get more sun in their yard than we do.

Take Care All
Lois
Bash On Regardless!
splummer

Post by splummer »

wow, a year has past since the last post on gardens, well its time to start planning,if your into gardens. we still are ass deep in sno up here and still cold ,so we started our seeds in doors and in april they will go into the green house,then if all goes well into the ground memorial day. its been a very long winter up here so iam looking forward to starting our garden, but first we will do our maple its getting closer so will be busy with that, so lois if your reading this let us know about your garden plans if you have time, i know i wont have much extra time this month , so hope every ones stays busy and have fun this upcoming season , will try to check in once and a while to see whats happening, have fun and see you all later
yugogypsy

Post by yugogypsy »

just plain darn cold here today, cold weather & Rick has a cold & I am overtired

Garden--I'll sow some spinach in my greenhouse soon, it hasn't frozen lately

Lois
Bash On Regardless!
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Wow! Where did THAT year go?? Geez...the older I get, the faster it goes.

Well, the cayenne pepper mentioned last year did great in spite of the heat. Peppers like heat, but this was ridiculous! I did some traveling for work during the heat of the summer and the next door neighbor put some water on them from time to time. Then he moved away before harvest, so didn't get to share with him! Gonna have to start fermenting and make some Tabasco sauce!!

So, two weekends ago, I decided that I am going to try tomatoes again - yeah, I'm a glutton for punishment; into heavy self-abuse! Started some seed for both "Mortgage Lifter" and "Cherokee Purple". Will put one in each pot. Still need to build up an insulated pot arrangement to see if they will survive the heat.

Still in extreme drought, so this year looks like it may be a bad summer. Has been warm winter, so definitely starting wrong.
yugogypsy

Post by yugogypsy »

Steve,

Try Moneymaker tomatoes, they are a commercial greenhouse type that do great on trellises outdoors, they get VERY tall and bear a uniform shaped tomato that is good for canning or sandwiches, dehydrating or freezing.

I've been growing them for about 10 years and they've never let me down. When they hit 8-10 ft in height pinch off the tops or they'll just keep growing. I put the trellis for mine up against my Mercedes because the white paint reflects the sun heat back at them and they ripen uniformly that way.

Glad you did well with your peppers, that is something I CAN'T grow.

Cheers :) Lois
Bash On Regardless!