ezrablu - 1991 Bluebird of Happiness

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

Rufus...terrific idea! Especially for someone like me who doesn't know much about my bus or what I'm talking about anyway...that will definitely help me understand and remember. Specifically things like oil changes, parts replacements and such. I'll add the log to the hard cover binder I got to put the printed photos of the engine, tags, etc. I have clear plastic sleeves to put those in.

I know that even with my pickup truck it was difficult for me to keep track of time...like replacing parts...I was always way off on "when" I thought I had it done.

Thanks again!
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

I want to make my bus completely self sufficient without having to rely on any resources other than wood to burn for heat in winter and water I'll keep in containers. So if diesel, electricity, propane, oil, gas, etc. are not available, I'll still make it just fine.

I have "this many" things to do with "this much" money which has be done before next winter comes. I figure once my bus is livable and I'm moved in...then I may think about updating or upgrading some things as money permits. Again, my main objective is for my bus to not HAVE to rely on any outside sources other than wood heat and water.

I'm building a bathroom with the least amount of maintenance since I'm not a plumber :D After LOTS of research, I decided on building a sawdust toilet. REASONS: no plumbing, no plumbing leaks or clogs, no water needed except to clean it, then just take it outside and hose it out, no electricity or pumps needed, it doesn't smell, the sawdust/waste can be burned or used as compost...plus they are EASY to build...

http://humanurehandbook.com/humanure_toilet.html

Here are plans in .PDF format which can be printed. Use your imagination to make it as fancy/built in as you want:

http://www.jenkinspublishing.com/downlo ... toilet.pdf

I'm installing regular stainless steel sinks just like a regular house, again minus the full plumbing. Since it's only gray water, they'll be plumbed to drain right out the floor of the bus with on and off faucets under the bus. For "running" water, I'm using marine type low profile faucets to siphon the water from the 10 gallons fresh water tanks which will be under the sink inside the cabinet. I'm building a regular shower and will be using a Zodito take showers. To heat water for laundry and dishes, I can use the Zodi, an electric hotpot, wood stove, campfire or solar depending on the weather/season. (I bought the Extreme Zodi with all attachments: shower, stove, etc. so I can have hot water/showers/cook no matter where I'm at or what resources are available).

For electricity, I have a solar system to put on my bus....but I have plenty of candles on hand for light "just in case". I also have many individual solar lamps. There is grid electric on my land but I'm not going to wire my entire bus because of finances - it's a matter of "this" much money to cover "that" many things that need to be done before winter...so wiring my bus falls to the bottom of the list. Instead I'm doing something simpler but will still give me electricity. I'm installing THIS kind of set up. I'm going to mount two different power inlets; a 50 amp RV and a 15amp 125v so I can use a reg extension cord and RV cord at the same time off my power pedestal on my land plus have either option then when I'm traveling. It's not that I need that much power, but hey, who knows, maybe I will want to run my air conditioner while I'm using my sewing machine and electric skillet :D

For cooking, I have several appliances that can be used according to the resources available. Portable electric roaster oven, electric skillet, electric hot pot, 2 burner electric cooktop, 2 burner propane stove top, rocket stove, wood stove w/cook top, a pressure cooker and outside grill/smoker and oven...or I can use the Zodi stove with propane or wood.
ezrablu
360 DT - 6 Speed
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

ezrablu wrote:For "running" water, I'm using marine type low profile faucets to siphon the water from the 10 gallons fresh water tanks which will be under the sink inside the cabinet.
I don't know why more people in house trucks/buses don't take this route. It fits in so well with reducing energy requirements and maintenance. It is also guaranteed to reduce water usage, which also means, reduced water collection. Though to be fair, I've never had real good luck with hand pumps lasting. The only really maintenance free system that I have experience with is pouring water directly from containers, or having a tap on them, letting gravity do it's thing.
I do however have two of these:
Wale footpumps, which are reputed to be reliable, and are hands free. I will be using them on my next project.
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

THANKS for your insight and experience, Stuart. You understand completely where I'm coming from on this...little to zero maintenance and energy required. Not only for less impact on the environment, but in case I'm in a position financially or physically that I can't rely on outside sources. Once I get my water well drilled on my land I'll be pretty much set there. When I travel, I have many of THESE I got for free to store my water in....big as I can get and still be able to lift :D Plus they store nice side by side or stacked.

I have zero experience with these hand pumps so I was relying on customer feedback. I'll just be pouring water from containers majority of the time...but I'm installing them more for convenience for younger children (nieces and nephews) to use when they come to hang out at my place. For those who can't lift a container or would more likely spill it while pouring it. So I'm hoping these hand pumps will last for a while.

You mentioned a Wale foot pump...is that a specific brand or the kind of foot pump? Do these require electric pump or anything?
ezrablu
360 DT - 6 Speed
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Whale is the brand. The ones I have are called Gusher Galley Pump Mk2. They are manual foot pumps, no electricity required.
They do another one that is flush mounted in the floor, but they look less robust to me.
The ones I have can be recessed under the counter so you don't trip over them. They also pump on both the up and down stroke.

For hauling water, I find 10 litre containers a good size. Two ten litre containers are much easier to carry than one twenty litre one. (One US gal=3.78 litres) so around two and a half gal containers. Being fairly small you can also set up a place on the kitchen counter to leave a water container with a tap on it, instead of having to lift it each time you want to pour, when not using a pump.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

That foot pump looks dandy. For the last few years I have been using one gallon jugs and just pouring the water out of them.

I do have a thirty gallon fresh water tank and a 12 volt pump. I have not hooked them up yet.

Someday I will.
Got love? Give love.
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

Those foot pumps do look dandy alright. I might have to give them a try. I would like not having a faucet mounted on the sink or counter top. Plus if my hands are dirty I wouldn't have to touch anything to get to the water.

I posted my photo as a link instead of an img...sorry. Here are my water containers:

ezrablu
360 DT - 6 Speed
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

EB

Glad you liked the log idea. If it works for you it'll certainly improve your bus's chance of a long and functional life. To give it the best chance, put it in a place easy to reach with a pen always right there.

Re: The sink drain. I think you might be better off if you arrange to dump it into a 5gal bucket; then add a hose to the outside. Since the hose bends it can be added after the bucket much easier than if you plumb for the hose than try to add the bucket. There are numerous places where you may like to use the sink but would really not like to exhibit a personal river running from under your bus. The same idea with the shower would be nice but not so easy.

Rufus
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

I do plan on using 5 gal buckets placed under my bus which is why I'm going to put shut off valves on the bus. And for on my property, I'm going to cut 55 gal. plastic drum in half and make it into a sand/gravel/charcoal filtration unit for the gray water to drain into...then a hose from the 1/2 barrel to water storage barrel so I can reuse the water for my garden, etc. I'll post photos once I actually start doing it. I can get those plastic blue 55 gal food grade barrels for $13 each from a pizza factory about 1/2 hour from here. I also plan on slicing some of those barrel length wise and using them to plant garden plants in....which will have the water from my filtered gray water gravity fed through pipes/hose with holes in it running across the top or under the dirt so all I gotta do is turn a faucet.

I hope this makes sense...I'm tired and the dog is barking at me to play :roll:
ezrablu
360 DT - 6 Speed
Miss Priss

Post by Miss Priss »

Hello! :D
Thanks for the easy link to the pics of your fabulous bus! I can't wait to see pictures of the inside! I am looking for all of the ideas I can get. Yep on the blower. It isn't much different (except size) than the one I used to upgrade the heat when I restored my 74 VW Super Beetle. It only took me 4 days to figure out how to get to my own post so hopefully I can get back to this more quickly to see your updates! :oops:
Miss Priss

Post by Miss Priss »

Nice bus! Are you going to keep all the windows?
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

Sorry I somehow missed your post, Miss Priss :roll:

Yes, for now I'm keeping them...but eventually will probably cover a few. I do have it on my list of things I need to do to my bus.

Speaking of which, after talking on the phone with Rudy last night, he opened my eyes to how long it takes to finish a bus interior. I woke up this morning feeling some doubt about accomplishing my "Before Winter Comes To Do" list.

Yes, I admit to having "My eyes are bigger than my stomach" syndrome. Or some like to call it "Biting off more than I can chew". I don't know if it's naivety or stupidity that makes me always think I can do anything whether I know how to or not :D I'm always so optimistic I figure things will always work out.

Today I feel a little stressed or pressured for time. I'd have a beer and a cigarette to calm my nerves but I don't drink or smoke :D Guess I need to go bake a few loaves of bread and go over my "To Do" list again :D
ezrablu
360 DT - 6 Speed
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

ezrablu wrote: Speaking of which, after talking on the phone with Rudy last night, he opened my eyes to how long it takes to finish a bus interior.
But, you do have TWO buses. So you can get one comfortable to live in camping style, quickly. Then take your time on the other one. Doing the interior to a Rudy standard, at your leisure.
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

Stuart...you're right! Thank you, you're right...I should feel less worried now because I have that second bus now to use. Sometimes I need to slow down and smell the coffee :D

How's things over on your side of the world? I seem to keep missing the chat thing :cry:
ezrablu
360 DT - 6 Speed
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

Part of the reason why I sold my '79 Crown and purchased an Avion travel trailer is I figured that my daughter would be graduating from college before I got the Crown completely converted.

And my daughter was only a year old when I sold the bus.

I agree with Stuart--with two buses you can get one to the point you can camp in it. Which will then allow you to do a real conversion on the other. Or use the other one for storage and/or staging.

In either case, it should take the pressure off of trying to get everything accomplished before the snow flies.

My suggestion would be to do any of the work that requires cutting through the roof, any insulation work, and any under the bus work done during the good weather. Then, once the bad weather commences then you can start on the inside work.

Believe when I say you really don't want to be working inside of a bus if the ambient temp is above 85*. If you have ever worked in a greenhouse during the summer you will understand to what I am referring.

Good luck and remember--do what you can, leave the rest, and don't worry about any of it.