Oh well, at least now that I have it I can rest assured I'll never need it!?! Jack
Thanks to the paint shaker 4 cyl diesel and the beat up roads. I am constantly finding stress fatigued brackets and such on my little skoolie. My sharp eyed wife spotted one of the under the front fender driving lamps hanging by its wiring when we pulled into our camp site Thursday evening. Since the original 11" head lamps (despite the halogen bulbs) barely light the way 5' in front of the bus, the long range driving lamps are really a very necessary part of the equipment. Fortunately, moving the brackets to a bit more centralized location and re-welding them wasn't very difficult--but I'll keep an eye on them now.
By the way, the camp ground was at Lake Cachuma, Ca about 14 miles from Solvang, Ca. The weather was beautiful and the lake was nearly full. 'Twas the first time out for more than an overnight since Yosemite in May--I really need to get out more often. Jack
Nope--but I've got a dealer level scanner for my little Isuzu powered bus! After discovering that the Isuzu dealers charge $200 per scan per code I freaked out and began looking for a dealer level scanner. After several false starts and a return of a non working scanner I now have a complete scan and diagnostic system with a lap top computer setup. I felt it was necessary to go this route since all the info Isuzu has on it's vehicles is proprietary. I could just see myself stuck in BF nowhere at Bubba's garage and no hope of figuring out what was wrong.
I like all the snazzy new computer stuff and multiplex wiring but I don't like not having a clue how to fix my bus--now I do. Jack
P.S. Not cheap at $1500 but -----
From the "its always easier to to do it right the first time" file-----
I spent the day on my back under my bus draining the gas tank for the genny and modifying the fuel pick up line. Had I known 5 yrs ago what I now know about gasoline additives and their effect on non EPA approved rubber hoses I wouldn't have had all the fun. My buddy Tom and I both had our custom built aluminum gas tanks made at the same time. The welder provided a couple of "threaded bungs" on the side of the tanks near the bottom. He also fabricated filler necks and a large port on the top of the tanks for insertion of the fuel sender unit--a beautiful job. We'd both planned to use external electric fuel pumps and simply set a barbed connector into one of the bungs and went from there to the pump using flexible rubber fuel line (both from the same length of Gates Made in USA fuel line). About 3 weeks ago, Tom's fuel line gave up the ghost and puked the better part of 20 gallons of gasoline on his garage floor and out the drive. Long story longer, I was able to staunch the flow, clean up the spill and safely drain the remaining gas without burning Tom's condo complex down.
It didn't take me long to see the error in our design. If we'd have simply installed a
"straw" in the top of our tanks making sure none of the rest of the fuel line fell below the top of the tank we'd have been golden. Its that straw (though external) that burned up my day and back. All's well that ends well---ARRG!
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest