Condensation

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Caravan Monster

Condensation

Post by Caravan Monster »

Whether it's a small wooden structure like my own, or a large bus conversion, condensation is a problem. I thought it might be a good reference topic for people to add their ideas and experiences to.

In my own case, I didn't even notice the problem last winter. This winter has been long and cold (by UK standards!) and when I realised what was going on, this is what I found:

Any ideas how to treat / prevent the condensation ? The mould wiped off, but I expect it'll be back! Here's the link to my build thread if it helps understand the construction of my home:

http://www.mrsharkey.com/forum/vwtp.php?t=482
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Yeah, condensations a bitch.

I fixed my issues by installing a dry source of heat (coal range) and feed it a steady diet of pinecones.

ps, when you wipe the mould off , you will have to kill the remaining spores with some bleach. Its nasty stuff , take care of your eyes.
Last edited by Dusty on Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
58 Bedford House
southpier

Post by southpier »

eliminate cold bridges between inside & outside. this usually is more common with metal frames.

include continuous vapor barriers on the warm side of the walls & roof (ceiling).

encourage free ventillation on the cold side of the wall or ceiling insulation.

include either active (fan) or passive (opposing windows) ventilation in the living space.

both boiling tea water and sleeping increases moisture in the air. warm air is not only able to support a greater amount of moisture (humidity), but once it does will migrate to any cold surface.

this is where the moisture begins to be noticed as droplets.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Here is a link to something that I wrote about condensation awhile back. It's not complete but shows how the problem is managed successfully on boats.

http://www.nomadichome.org/?page_id=385