1957 Crown Atomic Energy Coach

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

I was too lazy to add to this thread yesterday, so I guess I will do it now.

I don't believe in using a sledge hammer when doing this type of demolition, actually, "careful removal" is a better term then demolition.
If anything gets destroyed in the process, it can't be used later. I don't know if I will need any of the things I removed, but the option is there if I do.

As I removed each piece, I would stack it to the side, then put it in the shed out of the weather.
Here is a pile ready to go to the shed.

The closet and liquor cabinets really ate into the shower space, maybe that's why they never plumbed it.

The entrance to the shower was from the toilet side, now with two walls gone you can see how small it was.
Look how far off the side of the bus they put that wall. What a waste of space.

Then they didn't even use the wasted space to properly insulate.
wstcstslider

Post by wstcstslider »

It looks like they went all out on the insulation.

I know what you mean about careful removal. You never know what your going to need.

Here is a shot of some of my "carefull removal" of the Komfort. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlEjEpjxm2k
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Chuck, It is a good idea to not destroy components during removal. It has been my experience, though, I rarely get to use the old stuff. If the cabinet walls are saved, they will come in handy to trace the curve of the roof. Very handy.
Got love? Give love.
Granny

Post by Granny »

Chuck, all that bugging us for photosof our projects, and you have been holding out on us all this time! It is about darn time you are posting photos of what you have done with this Crown. I am curious to find out how far along things are. I really appreciate your "careful removal" of the old. You are right, lots of it might be re-usable somehow, somewhere. And, if it is destroyed, then it is gone and not there for use later.
:) :wink: Thanks for finally posting for us to see.
William Biffwinkle

Post by William Biffwinkle »

I could use that ter-lut if yer gittin' rid of it....
You cannot make a sow's ear out of a silk purse either.....but has anyone really tried to do both?

now heer in biffwinkleville we make deep fried DEEserts outa sows ears......an thayr ain't nuthin' stoopider lookin' than'n earless pig....
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Thank you all for the nice comments.

For me, writing, typing and spelling are very complicated. So to post post stuff on this forum is a huge investment time, but I think it is worth it. Sharkey has set up a very good site here, but if we all just sat around waiting for him to post something new, it would be pretty boring, I know because I tried it for awhile. I think it is human nature, to log on the forum to see if there are any new "tasty morsels" of info to snack on.

If you haven't posted yet, hit the "new topic" or "post reply" button, then give it a try. It is fun and rewarding.
If you have posted before, but don't know how to add a photo, go to tinypic http://tinypic.com/ and learn how. You may not get it right the first time, but in no time you will be a pro. I know a few of you out there don't have a good enough internet provider to post photos, thats understandable. But if you have a good IP, give it a try. I think you will enjoy it.

There was time I was too lazy to go through the learning curve of posting and adding photos, but it doesn't take that long to learn, and now I'm glad I did.
So what does all that have to do with a 57' Crown? nothing, but I was about to quit posting because I thought no one was reading them anyway. So if you are following someones post, let them know. If you have a question, hit the "post reply" button and ask it. Another thing, if you have a comment or question about a thread you are following, try to do it on their thread, not on Chat. If you ask them on Chat, your comment or question, and their answer will be gone within two days. Nobody else will benefit by seeing it and the thread may end prematurely.

Now back to the five seven.

Luke,

The reason I bought a bus, is because I'm pretty sure a 12 year old, with a louisville slugger could level the average RV in about 45 minutes.
Thanks for the video.

Rudy,

I know I will be able to use some of it, I'm not sure how much though.
You were able to utilize some of the cabinets in your bus. If you smashed them out with a sledge hammer, they would be gone forever.

Ginger,

Holding out? We are on page 6 of the holdout. :D

Seriously though, I don't want to just post a bunch of pics, I like to try to explain as I go.

As for how far along things are? I will tell you soon....on this thread.

Biff,

SHUT UP BIFF!!!
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Chuckles, It appears you can be eloquent in your writing as well as your train of thought. Kudos to you! You've been holding out on us. Rudy
Got love? Give love.
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Rudy wrote:Chuckles, It appears you can be eloquent in your writing as well as your train of thought. Kudos to you! You've been holding out on us. Rudy

Thank you Rudy!
You are very thoughtful.
Granny

Post by Granny »

Chuck, we are still waiting, ...............and waiting............................and waiting. When do we get to see more? :D
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Granny wrote:Chuck, we are still waiting, ...............and waiting............................and waiting. When do we get to see more? :D
I have resorted back to lurking, it is easier to stay out of trouble that way. :lol:
Granny

Post by Granny »

Jones'n4chrome wrote:Thank you all for the nice comments.

I think it is human nature, to log on the forum to see if there are any new "tasty morsels" of info to snack on.

I was about to quit posting because I thought no one was reading them anyway. So if you are following someones post, let them know.

...... and the thread may end prematurely.

As for how far along things are? I will tell you soon....on this thread.
Chuck, we commented, you thanked us for it, you told us to "wait", we waited, now you say ??????????????? "you are going to lurk to stay out of trouble"? I seem to remember, you were the biggest one to nag me for photos back when I first joined. Now, give up the photos and the "explanations" mister! :D
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

I think that was Dburt nagging for photos. I will post soon though.
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Up until now, most everything I removed appeared to have been carefully constructed outside the bus, then installed inside the bus in sections.
That was not the case with the bathroom though. I seems it was built in place, one piece at a time. I have no way of knowing for sure, but I am almost certain that the person who built the bathroom, did not build the rest of the cabinets. It had so many hidden screws that it had to be disassembled piece by piece. It took forever to remove the shower. I spent more time on removing the bathroom then I did removing all the other stuff combined.
Most of it you can see piled up in the background.

Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

No time lately to post updates on the 57'

I need to buy some start batteries for it though.
Does anyone know of a good brand to buy, or a brand that should be avoided?

Chuck
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

I have had good luck with NAPA United and Interstate batteries.

When you go shopping, make sure you are comparing apples to apples. You can find batteries that look identical on the outside that have vastly different internals.

If your battery tray allows for it, you may want to go from two 8D's to two group 31's. You lose a little CCA and reserve with the group 31's but you can go to studs instead of posts. It is a lot easier to maintain studs than it is to maintain posts. You can also spend about the same for two group 31's as one of the biggest 8D's.

Most buses came from the factory with two 8D's mostly for the reserve capacity. If they lost the alternator they could still make it to the next town just on battery power. Since you don't have that issue to worry about all you need is enough power to get started.

Mark O.
Winlock, WA