Tie Dye & Tofu

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Sharkey
Original Founder

Tie Dye & Tofu

Post by Sharkey »

The exhibit at the Lane County Historical Society & Museum for the next twelve months is "Tie Dye & Tofu: How Mainstream Eugene Became a Counterculture Haven". The exhibit runs May 8, 2010 to March 31, 2011.

The reason that I am posting notice of this exhibit in the Bus Barn section of the forum is that part of the exhibit and displays includes history of Roger Beck's (Truckingturtle's) days as a wandering craftsperson making ornamental jewelry and traveling from crafts fair to crafts fair in his housetruck with the Northwest Touring Company.

The museum has arranged with Roger to display examples of his simple bent-wire jewelry, his hand tools, a variety of photographs, his scale-model housetruck and more for the duration of the event.

Copies of Roger's book, Some Turtles Have Nice Shells, will be available for purchase, and Roger tells me that in spite of the fact that the show hasn't opened yet, the museum has asked him to supply a second case of books because they have already sold many of the copies from the first case.

A commemorative post card from the exhibit features a photo of housetrucks lined up on 13th St. in Eugene at the University of Oregon, a photo taken by Roger, and featured in his book.

Some time in the next year, I'll have to make a pilgrimage over to the Valley and take in the show. Maybe I'll manage to get Roger to accompany me. Always in style to arrive with a celebrity.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Long live bushouses and truckhouses. Sounds like a fun show.
Got love? Give love.
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

How cool is that?
Congratulations Roger!

Chuck
Granny

Post by Granny »

Sounds like it would be fun to attend. As long as it runs, I might have a chance to make it.
splummer

Post by splummer »

this sounds like something i would like attending ,but to far for me , so who vere goes, enjoy.
just because you ride the bus , it doesnt make you a bus person
the bus stopped and i got on and thats how it all began
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

This exhibit opened on Saturday, and apparently was popular enough to get some local media attention:

http://www.mrsharkey.com/busbarn/roger/museum.htm

Roger even gets a few words in!