What's Your Story?

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Id love a nice tree house, I got a 20' tipi and there is a guy over where my shop is that has a nice small sub ( it's about 50' ) I think I posted a few pic's a while back
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
teamgreen

Post by teamgreen »

It's hard to put windows in a sub and ventilation can be even worse. That might not work for me but maybe someone.
dburt

Post by dburt »

How about those corrugated grain storage silos you see on most every farm in the country? I have been eyeing a couple of 24ft diameter ones that a farmer wants to sell, but currently wants way too much for them. One would make a nice two-story unit, and the other one could do fine as a single story unit. They are not mobil of course :(, but talk about a great canvas to begin creating your house around. You can cut out windows and doors, frame up the inside with 2X6's, use lots of insulation, pour a concrete floor, the possibilities are endless! :)

Sometimes dismantled ones will go for only $2-400 at farm auctions, all a person needs is a little piece of dirt to put it up on. Kinda like playing with a big kid's erector set. :wink:
teamgreen

Post by teamgreen »

My neighbor has a two story house made out of shipping containers. He split them down the middle and put it together so it is 1 and a half wide and two tall. It's actually pretty nice. Right now he is making a small guest unit out of a dumpster that he bought new. I'll send some pics when he gets some done, or maybe he will. I got him to get a copy of Rogers book and now we're sharing all sorts of housing ideas.
Patrick46

Post by Patrick46 »

Yes, Yes Teamgreen...

we definately wanna see some pics of a home built outta containers!!!

I always thought that insulated ones (previously refrigerated) would be perfect for this!!

"Good Times & Good Friends Make Life Better"

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Yah MrGreen, Get some pic's up. A land locked home is coming up on my list in the next couple of years. I got the land and im beginning to put some real thought in to it 8)
Peace along the way
graydawg

Post by graydawg »

dennis how does that work on land locked land do you get road access to the property or do you have to have a helicopter to go somewhere sounds like it could get really expensive trying to buy a access road just to be able to go home
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

All ya gotta do is jump up on one of the local moose and ride it on in to my place 8)
Peace along the way