Damien needs your help remembering a Movie

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Damien

Damien needs your help remembering a Movie

Post by Damien »

This is a long one ... but can anyone help?
The very FIRST image I saw of a "real" housetruck was from a movie I watched as a teenager. This would have been from about 1972 to 1976, I do believe. My two memories are of a cool dude in a self-made true-to-life hand-made home, having an affair with an older woman. I'm pretty damn sure that woman was a young Shirley MacLean (sp?).
In fact the truck is probably exactly like what "Lose 30lbs" has in mind.
I just about froze when I caught sight of it at around age 16 ... and spent the next decade constantly thinking about how totally cool it was. My first big insperation ... and obviously it DID have a big effect on my future dreams.
I've spent quite some time looking through movie databases, and asking people, but no-luck so far.
I believe it was shot in upper New-York State, or some place like that.
We should be handing out this movie to any youth needing inspiration ... and it was also sexy and romantic in certain ways ... but then at 16 just about everything is, no? Did I make the whole thing up ? Can anyone help ?
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Are you thinking of Harold and Maude? I don't remember the actress' name, but the Maude character lived in a converted railroad Pullman car poised on a ridge by itself. Harold was very impressed with it's interior.
Damien

Post by Damien »

No ... when I said older I didn't mean geriatric. Yes I know Harold&M well. No this was a woman of about 35 or 40 tops who is totally bored with her husband and lifestyle ... and she hires a handyman (sort of like a Harrison Ford type (say 22 to 25yrs)) who drives up in this rolling home and whisks her away for some real fun and adventure. She's hot ... he's hot ...his rolling home is to-die-for ... throw in some sexy romance: now what the heck was it called ? Perhaps it's "Google Queston Time" !

** Trivia Note: Harrison Ford used to be a handyman and made a living doing odd-jobs around peoples homes in LA ... and one day one of his customers asked him if he could act. It think he was building some closets for a Mrs Lucas at the time.

Post by Guest »

Post by Guest »

"Overboard" Kirk Russel and Goldie Hawn?
Damien

Post by Damien »

Close ... I can certainly see why the plot triggered you. That was 1987, and I had already lived for over a year in my first schoolbus.
I've used the movie link above, and Shirley Maclean doesn't seem possible. I had a sudden Karen-Black-Attack, but that seach soon fizzled. I know 100% for-sure this film exists.
In the introductory scene the guy drives up beside her house in what you would call a "classic" hollywood idea, of what a housetruck is supposed to be: peaked shake roof, tongue-in-groove exterior walls with white trimmed windows ... even with a chimmeny I think ... all built atop what looks like an old Flatbed Ford.
Given where I was at the time, it must have been around the time of "Pink Flamingos" or "Pink Floyd Live at Pompei". '71 to '75. Those were other movies I remembered seeing at the same theatre, along with this-here unidentifed mystery movie.
All ideas gratefully received.
maldoran

antique fire truck

Post by maldoran »

i have recently aquired a nineteen forty gmc fire truck with pirsch fire apparatus. it is a pumper, i guess seven hundred fifty gallons per minute. it is a rust free, original. do you know of anyone interested in truck? it has a hercules engine and dual spark plugs, fuel pumps, magneto and distributor. quite unique. i have thought of making another house truck out of it yet, part of me hates the idea of taking apart a piece of history.kevin in connecticut.