What do you think of this vintage Crown bus conversion?

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

dburt

Post by dburt »

Good deal! I was hoping you could get the title, but what's a little wait of 3 years if you can still register and drive it in the meantime? Excellant!
earthhorns

Post by earthhorns »

Hello bus lovers...it's time for the big trip! I'm taking the 66 hiway Crown to the Grand Canyon next week, a 1,300 mile trip from Seattle. Sure am glad to have the 10 speed!
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Sounds like a great trip, don't you dare come back here without pic's

Happy trails
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

earthhorns wrote:Hello bus lovers...it's time for the big trip! I'm taking the 66 hiway Crown to the Grand Canyon next week, a 1,300 mile trip from Seattle. Sure am glad to have the 10 speed!
Scott,

It must have been very hard to sell your 58' Crown as it was such a nice bus, But now that decision seems to be paying off.
I think the 66' is a "one in a million" coach. It is so cool.
Be sure to get some road trip pics along the way.

Chuck
earthhorns

Post by earthhorns »

Hi Chuck,

I made it to the Grand Canyon...the 66 Crown ran like a champ! I was very sick during my trip, sorry, no photos, but I made it here.
The ten speed made ALL the difference in the world, so it eased the pain of letting go of that sweet 58. The high roof is wonderful for interior comfort.
I weighed in on the scales at flying J in Kingman,AZ. 31,400 lbs. with toyota truck in tow. Got about 9mpg with all that weight and towing, not bad! The Tehachachapi grade East of Bakersfield,CA. (4,000 ft. climb) was a real test...pulled it in 6th gear no problem.
I am living on old Rt. 66 just 11 miles E. of Peach Springs for the summer doing jeep tours into the Grand Canyon. Will work on the Crown as I have time...she is truly a sweetheart of a bus. The air-ride is the way to go!

Scott
dburt

Post by dburt »

And of course you are going to include pics in future postings, right?? :wink:
earthhorns

Post by earthhorns »

Yes I will include photos when I get a new camera. The trip down here tapped me out, but I'll be back up and running in a while.
earthhorns

unique crown ?

Post by earthhorns »

Hi folks, I hope all are doing well in progress on their rigs.
I apologize for lack of photos, I am just not set up for that yet.
I am curious if anyone out there has seen or heard of the type of Crown that I have in these photos. It has the raised roof that is traditionally called a "high floor or high level" used in intercity crowns, to afford luggage storage underneath. However, this crown has the raised roof, with full head space inside of 7 ft. It also has the larger, taller, side sliding windows(about 2ft. tall).
I guess it is similar to a tour bus, but I have yet to see any photos of a tour bus with a raised roof? Also, the bus appears to have never had rear windows, as all the sheet metal and rivets look factory done. It also has a full-sized "stealth" rear door, that also appears to be factory installed.
The guy I bought the bus from said it was one of two executive transport coaches built for Hewlett Packard in 1966.
So, did Crown build any other coaches like these, or are they one(two) of a kind, I would love to locate the sister ship.
Scott
Headache

Post by Headache »

I'm not any kind of bus expert, just learning here and there but I have learned about large companies custom ordering special custom coaches for use such as trade show exhibits, company vacation use, etc. Maybe you have one of those?

If Hewlett Packard still has a company vehicle department you might try contacting them. Maybe an old timer is still there that can tell you about them.

Or try getting in touch with someone that handles the corporate archives. Not sure where the contact info is.

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/abouthp/histnfacts/faq.html

Any updates on your ride so far?
earthhorns

1966 Crown

Post by earthhorns »

Thank you for the link Headache. I searched the site, but no bus info. yet. I will call HP this week during business hours to see if I can locate an "old timer" who may have a clue on the original purpose of this unique bus, and her sister ship.
Miss Priss

Post by Miss Priss »

That's the kind of bus I want! Thanks for the pics. I went bus hunting today! I saw an old one liknda like this one. My boyfriend keeps saying buy a camper. He just doesn't understand :lol: