What do you think of this vintage Crown bus conversion?

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Brant, I don't know that information. I think that dburt knows the guy who has it. Here's something from one of his posts. I usually go to these links that I see on the forums just to collect photos for my motorhome folder. I am nearing 2600 photos. Rudy
dburt wrote:The bus is in south east Oregon, near Adrian. The process to get a title is time consuming, consisting of sending certified letters to the last known owner and waiting for them to come back, filing for a storage lien, taking all paper work to the DMV for review, etc etc etc. You can call Wayne at 541-724-5079 to see about looking at the bus in person if you are interested.
mokibrabrant

Post by mokibrabrant »

Thanks for that. Maybe when I go to pick up my Bus provided I don't simply store it in Washington..........Saving me a trip until April. I'd like to go check this thing out...........Getting title from a dead guy. WOW here goes the truth is stranger than fiction..........another funky bus story already unraveling in y mind............This is in Oregon............If I am compelled to go over sooner than I would like, I will surely look this up......I may even begin to unravel precisely what it that need be done to acquire title from a dead guy...............I'm sure it's happened in the past.........Wonder if he had a will............Wonder if stuff went through Probate...........Wonde if there is someone out there somewhere with a lien on it.............Thanks for the info, yeah I see it's a 66.........just did a google on a 66 intercity................found references but no real cool stories or photos............thanks Rudy and Dburt...........if I don't see ya in the future, I'll see ya in the pasture...........maybe right next to that Crown........
earthhorns

66 crown conversion

Post by earthhorns »

Hi Brant, I appreciate your insight for ideas on this coach. I just drove it back to Seattle from Eastern Oregon...it runs like a champ, and that 10 speed sure is sweet!(70-75mph with ease).The airbags are in great shape, tires very good, engine is strong.
The bus is NOT an intercity coach, it was built as a private tour coach. Interior ceiling is almost 7 ft. It appears that the bath in the rear was original. The door in the back is factory installed, and there were never any large windows in the rear, just the big sliders up front.
I made a total leap of faith in buying this coach, but it proved to be everything Wayne claimed it was (he is a retired trucker and said he would drive it across the country in a heartbeat). The 500 mile trip to Seattle proved this to be true.
I will keep you all posted as I work on this "diamond in the rough"
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Earthhorns, I didn't know that anyone had bought this bus. I am glad to hear the good report from your driving it. I have my 1973 Blue Bird that I like plenty. Are you going to remodel the interior? By the way, I lived in Ballard for a year. I liked it there. I might have stayed if it had not been for my ex wife wanting to come to Tennessee. Now, I have been here for 12 years, and I don't even see her anymore. Rudy
earthhorns

Post by earthhorns »

Hi Rudy, come on back to Ballard...it's a great place! Yes, I will be doing extensive work on the interior of the 66 Crown. It is pretty worn out. I was really drawn to the high roof 7ft. (I am 6'2'') and will be living in the coach full time when I am done with the interior. I was also drawn by the 10 speed road ranger and airride suspension for comfort. All my family lives back East in Maryland, so I will be doing a cross country trip in this big rig. It has a 150gal. fuel tank, a real plus! Scott
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Scott, I have been living in vehicles for 30 years. I have had many, and I know the ropes about being an "urban camper". I love Sharkey's site and am glad to see you on board. Please continue to provide us with your ideas. There are many people on these forums that are way smarter than I. You can find out all you need to know about all the systems of a mobile machine.
I have had many requests to return to the west. I am older now and not so apt to "go on a whim" as I did in my youth. Just where do you park your bus in a place like Seattle? You must have some land there. I spent a year there and never did really see a rural area. Rudy
mokibrabrant

Post by mokibrabrant »

Very cool earthhorns........I have good intuition for these things. I meant every word I said. Diamond in the Rough..............Still would have some homeless dudes do the demo inside..........I'd want all that smelly stuff out of there as quick as possible..........Then it's all good.......I could drive..........hit the Home Depot..........do a little work......drive...Wow cool. Best of luck. Maybe we'll meet up one day Crown to Crown........I envy the High Roof. But i'll never do that to my Crown....I'll suffer as it is..........here's the link...check mine out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... OTORS:1123
earthhorns

Post by earthhorns »

Hey Rudy, you sound like a long lost brother. I have lived in buses and on the road since the late 80's. I am currently caretaking a light house on Maury Island, but plan to move into my new bus when I get it cleaned up. The 66 Crown will be my 4th bus. I have learned alot over the years, but one can always learn more from other's experience as well. So to answer your question, I park the bus on a friend's property here on the island, until I can head down to the SW desert sometime this winter.
Hi Brant, You scored a real sweet Crown, that 855 big cam will get you down the road nicely! I strongly recommend considering an upgrade to the 10 speed road ranger. I agree with not cutting the roof. That is why I sold my 58 Crown and got the 66 high top, I couldn't think of cutting it up for a roof raise. I do like the way the factory did the hi roof on the 66 though.
Do you live in the Seattle area?
mokibrabrant

Post by mokibrabrant »

I live in Hawaii. Not bad but very expensive getting a bus. I wouldn't want the Crown here. But if I had the Cash I would have certainly brought my 30ft All-American.........Long story short I put over 2000 mile on that Coach this past Summer. the Crown is for 2011. I will be retired. And I will likely spend the First Year on the Mainland, With this Crown. Nothing etched in stone. But I would love to get busy.......I expect to be over in April, take out the first 11 rows of Seats. Or maybe I'll stagger it. Don't know. Having never stood within this Coach I already know it was destined to be mine...........Right now I'm in the process of checking out storage space for it...........Bellingham. And if not There Seattle Tacoma. Maybe east of Sea-Tac............All I know is I'm so completely Jazzed.

My trip this summer was Spectacular: Even though I live in a pretty decent place, I wasn't quite ready to go "home". I hadn't been so Free in a long time, and without question, I haven't slept better in 15 Years. ........So I'll Find a spot up there. At least for the time being. I surely want to keep it there to get it titled as an RV.........should be fairly easily done with that very recent State Patrol.......Inspection...2009. I just have to sit tight until April of 2011. Where at least I will have the option......where I go with it remains to be seen. Hawaii is Great.....My Job, don't let anyone know, is also great.........and I am treated very very well. Here's a link to my Bluebird.........that I drove last summer. It is back on Ebay............The link and the listing will sum it all up, so I need not belabor it here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... OTORS:1123
mokibrabrant

Post by mokibrabrant »

Check this out.....I had a cool inspiration last night for the Bluebird AA. Crown Rear End, mid-ship drive-line attached. Cut a hole in the floor of the BlueBird. Fabricate Weld and Bolt Three Mounts that will accommodate the cummins. Then Fabricate a cover or casing, above floor level inside the BB with 8 gauge steel with a well insulated door that can be used as an access point. Lose the Dog House in the Font.......replace with nice Diamond Plate steel fastened to the floor by Zeuss Fastners.......Then throw in the 5 Speed Eaton fuller (syncro)............And Now a mid-engine 30 ft Bird......Hell you could even toss in some airbags.......to raise the bus for engine maintenance. And for the Coup d' Grad Throw in a Real Steel Spoiler in front to compensate for the 762 lb 427 and Mt643 Trans that you could sell on Ebay to partially........or if lucky completely finance the entire procedure..........................Small Cam 220 like earthworms' in that little Coach.............I'm thinking Giant Porsche...........mokibra
mokibrabrant

Post by mokibrabrant »

Oh one of the coolest things I remembered about my Crown days with the 10 speed. I remember, after I had been driving for about 6 months........I got to know my shift points as they related to road speed, so well, that I could actually shift without using the clutch. Hit the road speed just right float a little more throttle, like a "mini rev" and shift.
got to where I could take it to 60 without the clutch........without the grunt or the Grind............I haven't thought of that for years............how cool is that
TMAX
Officer Hormel

Post by TMAX »

When I was in my 20s, my neighbour owned and drove a cross country rig equipped with a Detroit 6-71 and either a 4 or 5 X 3 gearbox (don't remember which). He used the clutch for 1st gear and backing up only. He got 330k+ miles out of the clutch. Not bad. I rode with him once and remember the shifts were quite smooth.

Used to have a 1960 Rambler sedan with overdrive. With overdrive engaged and kept in lower range (via electric bypass switch), shifting without the clutch was very easy. Did the same with a '65 Impala I owned later with the same transmission arrangement.

TMAX
tamangel
Roving Reporter

International Title Service..

Post by tamangel »

as far as getting a title, you might try these folks..

http://www.its-titles.com/

A number of folks on a military truck forum use them and have alot of praise..

Mike
dburt

Post by dburt »

Hey EarthHorns, did you get the title worked out on that '66 Crown bus you bought from Wayne down in SE Oregon yet? Just wondering how the progress is coming along on it? DB
scott

66 crown

Post by scott »

Hi dburt, yes, i did the title paper work. It will take three yrs. to get an actual title in hand, but can register and drive it now.
Scott