This Old House Discovers Housetrucks

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Sharkey
Original Founder

This Old House Discovers Housetrucks

Post by Sharkey »

(Roger is going to hate this!!!)

Several months ago, I was contacted by a researcher for This Old House magazine after she had discovered this web site. They wanted to do a short article in one of the regular departments "On the Job" and were looking for photos and perhaps a few owners to interview.

The photos that they were most interested in were of Glen's truck and Michael's truck. I don't have any photos of Michael's (except, of course, those that I scanned out of "that ~other~ housetruck book (sorry Roger) for the review), and the few images on the site of Glen's belong to Greg, and weren't of a very good quality.

Naturally, this meant turning the researcher and then the writer onto Roger Beck, the keeper off all photographic history on House Trucks and Buses. Roger set them up with some choice photos and gave them the rap about housetrucking.

They also followed my lead to our own Damien, as he soaks up publicity like a sponge does what it does, excpet he doesn't require wringing out afterwards.

The writer wrote, the editors edited, and the result was published in the April 2005 issue of the magazine, which lands on news stands tomorrow, April 5th.

Here's the result:

Unfortunately, the editors did their job with wild abandon, and ended up cutting about two-thirds of the article that the writer wrote, and with no regard to the arrangements that she had made with Roger. The end result is that his book and web site address ended up in the bit bucket and never made it into the text of the article. There is a nearly invisible photo credit with his web site address, but it's easy to miss, so I'm reproducing it here in full detail and hyperlink glory so that anyone interested can click over and get an eyeful of his excellent photo gallery of trucks and buses: www.housetrucks.com

Before you leave, I've taken the liberty of producing the TOH article in .pdf format so you can actually read the text without having a huge graphic on this page. Download or view it Here.

An interesting note: The subscription issues were delivered to homes the week before last. I experienced a three-fold jump in page views on this site during that week, from a normal of about 9,000 page views, to 28,000 the week before last. Last week, traffic was still high, at 19,000 page views. I usually discount articles, videos, and other promotional come-ons, as Google has proven time and again to be the best driver of traffic to this site, but the OTH rag has done what no other has before. It'll be interesting to note what happens to the statistics this week after the news stand issues have been read.
Truckingturtle
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Truckingturtle »

Sharkey- Well...I certainly do not hate you for writing and setting the record straight about the TOH article and speaking your mind. Instead, I would like to thank you for your friendship.

Roger
Damien

Solid Hardness Within Minutes Guarenteed

Post by Damien »

Hey Sharkey,
Mass marketing finally triumps. Solid Hardness in Minutes*!
I've just got back from pounding out the back-trails of Belize ... then came back to Toronto, and Perma WON one week in a Five Star (Atlantis) Bahama resort. Try and imagine the contrast of sitting in Punta Gorda (Guatamalan Border with Belize) reading Sharkey's autobiograpy and Prakeshe's adventures ... surrounded by true-to-life Mayan Indians ... and hot steaming jungles ... back to the Firetruck-snow for a week ... then suddenly caught up in off-shore banking five star Mania, with free jet-ski's. Civillization as we know it is over ... pronto in my books. Ten years max.
I really enjoyed your stories. I think your site needs more stories to go along with the pictures. A picture is worth a thousand words ... but a thousand words ain't equal to one picture. Especially when a photo takes up about 200K ... while "War and Peace" probably does'nt.
I'm so-glad "This Old Rolling Home" has triggered some activity. That is really cool. Thanks for the pdf, now I don't have to buy it !
Speaking of me soaking up fame (I'm a frigging hermit !!) I did a stint on the Discovery Channel as a guest "Food Scientist". The viewership was rated at 100 million in 14 languages. I had calls from as far away as Germany saying "there was this guy on TV who looked ..."

PS: My Incan Pyramid fungi-fried brain can't remember my password (hence me being a guest). That's bad enough ... but I've applied twice for a new one, and nothing shows up in my e-mail. Is it the fungi or my server ... or are they both ?

Yours Truly: Damien

*Mix equal parts of tube A with tube B. Will be hard within five minutes, guarenteed or your money back. Stick everything together quickly !
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Roger, thanks for helping keep the HT/HB flame alive. Besides I need to help you sell books so that the front of your shop isn't all taken up with cases of STHNS. You'll be needing the floor space when we begin constructing the cabinets for the Crown.

Damien2, did you forget your password?? If you didn't try to get free copies of the TOH magazine, then you dont know the meaning of the term "reluctance". You'd think that Time/Warner/AOL/Disney would be able to kick some bennies for the free program content we provided them, but Noooo, Roger had to remind them that we were supposed to get a ~single copy each~ of the magazine when it was published. This morning I found out that my copy has pages missing, an article about hardwood floors I wanted to read!!

If you are on TV now, maybe you should take up the guitar. Might help with family relations...
roasting8

Post by roasting8 »

Sharkey, when I first read the article on your post, I thought that you left out some pages (I'm sorry for doubting you).

Well, I went to the local book store, had a chai, and read the article in "This Old House." I got so angry with the rag that I took the money, I was going to spend on the magazine, and bought me a cheese cake instead (the cheese cake was really good).

I must say that the article was very superficial and poorly done (they should shoot the ediitor) and didn't give any credit to anyone that provided information. Besides, where were the photos of all the vehicles and people that they wrote about?

By the way, how is your Crown coming along? My Crown has the subfloor installed and then I ran out of money (need to stay away from the cheese cakes).
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Yeah, oh well, so far, media attention of all sorts has been disappointing, although I can't complain about the big jump in traffic over the last few weeks. Maybe the good in the article is turning more people onto this site and others that deal with the craft.

Progress on the Crown is contained in a thread a few lines below this one in the index. There should be an update this weekend, as I am completeing another construction project, hopefully tomorrow if the weather cooperates.