1976 Grumman Stepvan motorhome conversion

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Lostranger

Re: 1976 Grumman Stepvan motorhome conversion

Post by Lostranger »

Most of the consumer grade generators seem loud to me. Small Hondas are a notable exception. I suppose the volume is related to 3600 rpm. Most small engines are just short of self destruction at that speed. My generator is a Kohler 4.5 kw out of the 1989 Class A motorhome that I'm currently dismantling. Petrol, twin cylinder, 17 hp, 1800 rpm. I redid the exhaust system with an automotive muffler. The shed I built is just outside where I sleep. We don't run the generator much, but I have no trouble sleeping beside it. Here are a few photos:

With this muffler setup — and I can easily reconfigure the pipe/muffler — I would not hesitate to put this rig in my step van. The shed is not insulated or even fully enclosed. The key is the 1800 rpm. I see a few of these used for reasonable prices. Might not hurt to check around. 4.5 kw is plenty for what you want to do.

Jim in NC
kurbmaster

Post by kurbmaster »

That generator looks a little two big for my use. I'm looking at a yamaha or honda 2000 watt generator. They weigh about 45 lbs, are quiet, and small. I think they will be all I need. I will test one during the summer to see if it runs the air conditioner and if it does then I'm all set.
kurbmaster

Post by kurbmaster »

Haven't been on the site in a while. I purchased a Yamaha 2000efi generator that runs my Coleman mini Mach air conditioner it is great the previous generator I had was an old honda 2400. The Yamaha is so quiet and sips gas. If I want I can run it going down the road and supply's enough cool air that no need ever to try to install a dash a/c unit.

Plan on getting a trip in soon now that spring has sprung in the north east. Don't like exposing the old 76 to the salt roads. Frame still looks great on this Kurbmaster.