1976 Grumman Stepvan motorhome conversion

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

kurbmaster

1976 Grumman Stepvan motorhome conversion

Post by kurbmaster »

1976 Grumman Kurbmaster is it the nicest step van conversion you have seen?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a link to pictures of my 1976 Grumman Kurbmaster that was a do it yourself project 33 years ago. Converted to a motorhome. It has been one tough truck, van what ever. A chevy P30 chassis with a 350 engine and turbo 400 automatic. Nicest conversion of one of these I have ever seen tell me if you agree.Will do 80mph and cruises quietly at 65 all day.

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k465/kurbmaster/

Truck was bought brand new by my father and he took about two years to finish. Then he sold it after 4 years to my brother who owned it for 19 years. Then I picked it up ten years ago. Still has a lot of life left in it 86k total miles. Runs great and everything works. If you look at the pictures it sleeps four, with a bed that lowers with electric motors and couch that goes into double bed, four burner stove top with oven, double sink, propane heater, tv, microwave, full size closet, shower and toilet, 3 way fridge, two dining tables, fully insulated, 30 gal water tank and 6 gal 2 way water heater, 2 grey water, one black water tank, auxillary battery, air conditioned. Full awning. This is all in a package that is 23 feet long that includes a bumper on the back that can carry a full size adventure bike, back bumper has a generator in a storage compartment and other storage in it. With the bike on the back the rear doors still open. The extra bumper turned attached to the front bumper accomidates a dirt bike. We have towed three bikes behind this thing.

Did I mention that we have had 33 years of family fun in this and it was a lot of fun when my brother was single and I was single, don't want to think about what my father did in this when he was younger.

Oh yea I have been told that these step vans can be coverted to four wheel drive. It is a project but I was told I could get a late 1980's donor 4x4 truck and use those parts. Thought about it but I get back in the remote places with my bikes. Although it would be nice to go on the beach in loose sand.
dburt

Post by dburt »

Nice unit! It shows what a little creative work can accomplish without alot of big bucks $$. Good to see this type of project!
sandal

Post by sandal »

Just wondering about your fuel mileage on the road. Lookd top notch...

Dale
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

That's a great clean lookin rig
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
kurbmaster

thanks for the positive comments

Post by kurbmaster »

Hi Thanks for the positive comments. I really like this motorhome for several reasons. It has been extremely reliable and over the past ten years even though I haven't put that many miles on it, It always is dependable. Plus I just had to do a rear brake job on the thing plus replace the master cylinder. The parts were available in stock at advanced auto parts.

Fuel mileage used to be around 10mpg but with the ethonal in the gas it gets about 8mpg cruising at 60mph. That is carrying a motorcycle and a canoe on top.

It still is economical though because what I paid for it and the reliability and the room that I have in it for a motorhome that is only 22 feet total length is fantastic. I can and have taken it in a city and found parking. The option of carrying a motorcycle on the rear bumper and on the front bumper a street legal dirt bike makes for a lot of options once I park. The racks on top carry my grumman square back canoe and there is enough room in the engine compartment to carry my 2 hp motor.

It is very versatile and does well on back roads and gravel roads. It has been one tough truck. It is also great for stealth parking from the front it looks like any other bread truck.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

So both your land and marine vehicles are made by the same manufacturer? 8)
kurbmaster

It is all about the rivets

Post by kurbmaster »

Yea Sharkey it's all about the quality of the riveting. My canoe is older then the van. And it is still in great shape. Should have flown an f-14 tomcat. Then I would have sworn by grumman even more[/code]
fusionontherun

who did the work?

Post by fusionontherun »

I am looking for someone to instal windows in my step van who did the work you had done on it?
kurbmaster

windows on stepvan

Post by kurbmaster »

Hi my father installed the windows and did the whole conversion. You will have to have someone else do it. He is retired. Any good carpenter should be able to do it. Hope he doesn't make a mistake though.
kurbmaster

battery

Post by kurbmaster »

Anybody know a good source for an auxilary battery. I usually go to SAMS and get a marine rv battery for $75.00 . Any good sources out there.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Sam's club 6 volt golf cartbatteries are $61.00 I think there to best bang for the buck
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
jottoh12

Thankyou, Thank you, Thank you for the pics!

Post by jottoh12 »

I have a 1982 Kabmaster (a little taller than a Kurbmaster...I think) and needed your post for inspiration. I have been traveling and working out of my Grumman for awhile now, yet it has little more than a lot of tools and a platform inside to sleep on. NOW I see the possibilities and will get to work on it.

Mine does not have dual rear wheels (it was a bread truck) and is powered by a very small diesel (3.7L) made by White Hercules...way underpowered but 20 MPG wherever I travel so I do not mind. It reminds of my VW bus days yet is much bigger.

Thanks again for the ideas...Happy travels, Jottoh12.
dburt

Post by dburt »

With fuel prices high, and predicted to go higher, I could live with 20mpg even with the low power. You might be slow, but you will get there eventually, and perhaps won't go broke doing it! :)
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

This is not a Kurbmaster, it is a International Harvester. I think it is pretty cool.

longjohn

Post by longjohn »

I looked at an 87 today not as nice as yours the pass side skirt had some ripples not to bad but noticeable. it is also an old bread it is dual wheels with 292 six and 4 speed which the 292 has enough power to do most of what i want (can always tweak a little) does any know how much of a nightmare it would be to a factory type dash ac unit? there is plenty of room under the hood to fit finding one might be more of a problem, the same guy has three of them close in milage, 89k i need to look at the odometer to see if its 5or 6 digit more 189k .. Kurbmaster your truck rocks if i go this way i hope that you will share lots of pics :)
Take a Child Camping and they will have fun
But take a child Campin,
And they will always cherish,
The memory!!!

Campin,Campin,Campin