Wayne Bus'es - Mobicile

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Wayne Bus

Wayne Bus'es - Mobicile

Post by Wayne Bus »

Wayne bus

SAFETY FIRST....!
The benefits of the "Wayne Bus"-Lifeguard" design was proved in several potentially catastrophic collisions. For example, in 1982, at Petersburg, Virginia, a 1973 model Wayne Lifeguard school bus transporting 41 elementary school children was struck broad-side at an intersection by a fire truck which had gone through a red traffic signal without stopping while responding to an alarm. The school bus was rocked violently, but after the fire truck literally BOUNCED OFF of it (rather than penetrating the body) The driver was able to regain control and bring it to a safe stop. The fire truck was SPUN 180' and ITS FRONT was DEMOLISHED. All 3 firefighters were hospitalized. ONE CHILD on the bus had a BROKEN ARM;... THE REST UNINJURIED. Later examination of the school bus revealed that the impact of the MASSIVE WATER LAIDENED FIRE TRUCK HAD FAILED TO OVERCOME THE GREAT STRENGTH OF THE "WAYNE BUS" CONSTRUCTION and GAURD RAIL SYSTEM. Investigators were amazed to discover that there had been NO PENETRATION of the passenger compartment, NO JOINT SEPARATION, and NO SHARP EDGES WERE CREATED.( unlike ALL other makes and models ) Instead, they found the substantial impact stress had been shared over a widespread area along the entire structure of the "box", protecting the occupants as intended. In the years after Wayne introduced the Lifeguard in the 1973 model year competing body manufacturers began moving towards using a lesser number of side panels and joints, although NONE had been as progressive as Wayne. When the focus on structural integrity resulted in the joint requirements of the all-important U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards for school buses, most of which became applicable on April 1, 1977.

A Mobicile - is a mobile-domicile...
These videos were recorded from my T-Mobile G-1 Phone, and uploaded to a website called " Qik ". Go there and search " Bus Wheel Estate Project " Its a website that archives all of my phones , streaming-live videos , so that they "supposedly" - be viewed by others. I noticed when clicking the video links using my cell phone , there's a 20 second or so delay, before the video starts up , but other then that , they seem to work fine. It could be a bug involving the videos being seen from desktop computer -verses- being viewed from a cell phone computer....I don't own a desk or laptop computer...so I can't check my quess for accuracy...

Unfinished - Outside walk around
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoTPPmrj ... tube_gdata

Unfinished - Rooftop deck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqCtSFyn ... tube_gdata

Unfinished - Inside - Walk thru
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JUodyQQ ... tube_gdata

Unfinished - Inside - Rear-forward view
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThjW-NJ8 ... tube_gdata

Here's the materials and assembly techniques I used in making a durable, outside, weather proof-road proof, insulated-underbelly. I've employeed the use of Dow Ridgid Foam sheet insulation, packing tape, liquid nails, and steel 2x4x8 studing-tracks. The purpose of this insulation unit, is to conserve the expensive electicity, produced by the generator, for air conditioning. It also aids in reflecting infa-red and radiant heat back to the road surface, instead of allowing it to passively accumulate underneath of the buses cabin, warming the floor area in the summer. This insulation unit will go a long way in providing great comfort and savings over the ownership of this home...These videos are somewhat long and tedious in how long the details are viewed. This over-lulling, was done so that one could follow ( if desired ) with acceptable results, while "freeze framing" about what,to do next...When loading these videos, one should expect a long delay, before video cranks up with a viewable picture. Patients is most helpful...

Added February 26th 2010 7:30 pm: EST.
This outdoors video shows an insulation tray applied to the underneath of the buses cabin. Video concentrates on the underneath, finished drivers side, as compared to the raw unfinished passingers side. http://qik.com/m/v/4d31307204e64383854d1424dde3bbbd/dl

Added on Febuary 25th 2010. 6:17 pm: EST.
this video verbally explains the how's and why's of my decisions concerning the design and the use of the raw materials used to make an insulation tray, and shows a completed tray , not yet fastened in place.
http://qik.com/m/v/f8097e92504643599f0efaebce625e49/dl

Added Febuary 24th 2010. 7:08 pm: EST. This video shows how to make a insulation tray. The use of minature pieces was substituted for the actual larger stock materials due to display space-confinements.
http://qik.com/m/v/4df5a2c2e4414affabaeab388cae9f18/dl

Here's an unfinished and unapplied,stack of: 2.5"x4'x8' sheet-styrofoam insulation material for building the exterior mounted-Rooftop Insulation Saddle. These 4 X 8 sheets are to be quadrupaled in thickness for buses width & length, resulting in a wide & long, insulation-saddle,outside of R-50
http://qik.com/m/v/b3f90c82cab840b9868b09172842424d/dl

ADDED, 04 -17-10
This is a view of the construstion of the inside, passinger walls. The outermost plywood is a 3/4" plywood panel, and the innermost plywood panel is 5/8" that sandwihes 3 pieces of Dow foam insulation . The insulation sheet thicknesses are as follows : the outermost piece is 0.5 (R3) + 1.5(R-7) + 1.5(R-7) = 3.5 (R-17)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCRAq3G- ... tube_gdata

ADDED, 05 -12-10
This is the bus in mid process of a hand rolled paint job with a white-oil based Rustoleum paint. On a Wayne Bus, the windows can be easily removed from the exterior, so that pre-taping a slop gaurd around the windows trim, isn't a neccessity.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVgjNtie ... tube_gdata
Last edited by Wayne Bus on Thu May 13, 2010 12:21 pm, edited 28 times in total.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Hi Wayne bus, Welcome to the family. I tried those links, but I just got some screen that did not work. I sure would like to see photos of your bus. Perhaps you could upload them with the use of Tinypic. If you have any questions about using that program, just say so and I will help you with it. Thanks, Rudy
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

I bet you got some snow there. I am in Tennessee, and it is just rain here. If it was a bunch of snow, I would not be driving because it would be chaotic. I grew up in New England where people know how to drive in the snow. It is not the case down here.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Wayne Bus, I went to the Qik site and saw the videos. Is that a bunch of shelves and drawers that I saw? That certainly is a whole lot of storage. I presume that you have a Wayne bus. Is it a diesel. What engine do you have?

I have not had a television for ten years.

It would be great if you could take some still photos and post them up for all of us to see.

Once again, welcome to the forums.
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Boy Rudy, He likes to build suspense just like you do :lol:
I guess we will just have to wait :(
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

WB, Are you spending this day alone? DO you have family or children there? I am alone, but by chance, I just got to spend a couple of hours with neighbors that I really didn't know. We drank Scotch and watched a basketball game on the biggest TV I have ever seen.

I am now going to walk my dogs in the field. I will then feed them and give them a special treat. They are dog biscuits. I never give them that stuff, but Dennis TBD sent me a box, so I think it is appropriate to give them a treat today.

Do you have a dog?

I went to the QIK site again today. It looks like that is an International bus. Is it a diesel engine? If you are lucky, you may have the DT466 engine, which is purported to be the best.

I have a CAT 1160 in my bus, and some people think that they are not very good. I must say, though, that it is 36 years old and is still working. It can't be all that bad.

I am looking forward to see some photos of your bus on the forum.

Once again, thanks for joining the "bus family" on this web site. Rudy
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Granny

Post by Granny »

I can't get the pages to open. I get a screen saying that they don't work with my computer (or something to that affect). So..... I wasn't able to see anything :( .
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Ginger,
Try this link.

http://qik.com/video/search?order=relev ... roject+%22

If it does not work then Google and search "Qik" click on the top link to the Qik site and search " Bus Wheel Estate Project " You can see all the video's there.

Chuck
Granny

Post by Granny »

Thanks Chuck, that worked.
Wayne Bus

drivers area

Post by Wayne Bus »

Winter is well on the way, so the urgency to complete the interior wall on the driver side is afoot. The wall section behind the drivers seat is the only finished wall area-of the interior thus far. By finished, I mean, the permanent design for that walls / furniture has been built ,installed and is usable. This leaves the drivers area and the 54" of wall area behind the driver seat not finished. In my design, I have used the driver's fold-down-shutter, to act as a table for eating at, or a desk area, as needed. I found that the drivers area takes on a more usefulness, once the switch panel/heaterbox assembly are relocated. Once having done this, one can sit comfortably sideways in the drivers seat and do paperwork or eat with a sunny window in front of them. The other thing the heaterbox removal does is, it allows for a tiltable/swivel-drivers seat to be installed later,without it blocking such a possibility.

The design of the walls are a common-sandwich design. By that I mean, from a birdseye view, downward...there is an outer plywood panel attached to the original steel walls...that plywood panel is overlaid by a 3.5" polystyrene panel (Dow HR-5 per inch)...covered by a final plywood panel, serving as an inner wall surface/panel. These 3 sandwiched components, are held in place, with 8" X 1/2" carriage bolts, that penetrate from the outside of the bus , thru the original bus walls and thru my sandwiched-walls and on thru a 16 gauge, vertically placed, box rail that serves as the interior-most, compressor-rail.these rails and bolts are placed 3 per window-frame-rail...for the full length of the wall,as well as a,in between the frame-rails...duplicate application of bolts and box rails,(should be somewhat sturdy)

I perfer video, to "still" shots, but Rudy has a well taken point , about asking for "stills" on a website.

Probably like any other bus builder, there are "inside-rainy day projects" and the opposte. This one for me, at this point in the autumn, is both....

Could anybody reading this tell me how to make the pictures appear here, rather than these links ?.......?.........[/url][img][/url]....[/img]
Last edited by Wayne Bus on Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Wayne Bus. Those are the url's that should be uploaded after they have been resized to 640X480. I will post them for you tomorrow. Cool pics.
Got love? Give love.
Wayne Bus

re-post of drivers area in mobicile

Post by Wayne Bus »

Winter is well on the way, so the urgency to complete the interior wall on the driver side is afoot. The wall section behind the drivers seat is the only finished wall area-of the interior thus far. By finished, I mean, the permanent design for that walls / furniture has been built ,installed and is usable. This leaves the drivers area and the 54" of wall area behind the driver seat not finished. In my design, I have used the driver's fold-down-shutter, to act as a table for eating at, or a desk area, as needed. I found that the drivers area takes on a more usefulness, once the switch panel/heaterbox assembly are relocated. Once having done this, one can sit comfortably sideways in the drivers seat and do paperwork or eat with a sunny window in front of them. The other thing the heaterbox removal does is, it allows for a tiltable/swivel-drivers seat to be installed later,without it blocking such a possibility.

The design of the walls are a common-sandwich design. By that I mean, from a birdseye view, downward...there is an outer plywood panel attached to the original steel walls...that plywood panel is overlaid by a 3.5" polystyrene panel (Dow HR-5 per inch)...covered by a final plywood panel, serving as an inner wall surface/panel. These 3 sandwiched components, are held in place, with 8" X 1/2" carriage bolts, that penetrate from the outside of the bus , thru the original bus walls and thru my sandwiched-walls and on thru a 16 gauge, vertically placed, box rail that serves as the interior-most, compressor-rail.these rails and bolts are placed 3 per window-frame-rail...for the full length of the wall,as well as a,in between the frame-rails...duplicate application of bolts and box rails,(should be somewhat sturdy)

I perfer video, to "still" shots, but Rudy has a well taken point , about asking for "stills" on a website.

Probably like any other bus builder, there are "inside-rainy day projects" and the opposte. This one for me, at this point in the autumn, is both...

Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Wayne Bus, I see that you were able to post the pics. One important step, however, is to resize them to 640X480. There is the option of doing that BEFORE you press the UPLOAD NOW button on the TinyPic page. Press the little arrow where it says RESIZE, and you will see the options.You'll get the hang of it. Rudy
Got love? Give love.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

A pictures worth...

I didn't get what was going on 'til I saw the pics. I like the idea of that fold down "wall" to keep things warm or give you a table. First time I've seen it anywhere.

Cheers, Rufus