Dusty's Bus

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Dusty

Re: Dusty's Bus

Post by Dusty »

Thanks Dennis , yes it was plenty of fun :)

Before I went away , I thought I should do a wee upgrade to the camper . Going to Southland ....... right ........ need mains power .. :idea:

It snows at random times in the spring down there, I have to have the heater option :)

So I got the proper circuit breaker etc and plug and found a nice deco lamp and got it all certified legal to plug into a camp ground supply .

As it happened , we had hail one sunny afternoon in Dunedin :screwy:
58 Bedford House
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Dusty wrote:
As it happened , we had hail one sunny afternoon in Dunedin :screwy:
Do we know how to put on good weather, or what? :D
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

" and got it all certified legal to plug into a camp ground supply ." You have to get such things certified? There wouldn't be any RV's in So Cal at all if that were the case here :lol: . That being the so, I always use my handy dandy circuit tester before I hook up to a shared (or any) RV park power post. I suppose it is safer your way but I'd sure hate to have to explain the wiring on my bus even though I am sure it is OK. Jack
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Yep , we are pretty heavily regulated here when modifying anything . All the work I have done on the bus repower/steering /brake changes, is inspected by an Engineer, the electric is another ticket , the self containment (waste water etc) another ticket , gas fitting is supposed to be also ..... :roll:

But they cannot force me off the road , I will just go right ahead and comply everything :lol:

When I was away on the start line of one of the special Targa stages , a driver and I conceded that it was debatable who was having the most fun that week , him or me ( I thought it was me) even though he was spending SO much more $$$$ eh.
58 Bedford House
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

While I was away in Dunedin , I scored a set of Fenton Headers for the truck , cool 50's period speed equipment .

I just got 'round to making them fit, there is a definite change due to the better breathing , even though I still have the single carb manifold on.
I had to tune the carb a little , and add some advance to the timing , truck is very nice Seems a little smoother/more responsive etc.

58 Bedford House
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

What a sweet find. I remember wanting to do that to my '54 Chevy--just didn't have the bucks. Jack
Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

I also wanted one for my '63 Chevy step side. 250 ci straight six. My dad owned a muffler shop, so if I could have afforded a manifold, duals and cherry bombs would have been a cinch. My '62 GMC step side (it's demise led to the purchase of the '63) had duals, but it was a V6. 305D, to be exact. The Jimmy got ten miles per gallon at a time when the straight sixes got 20, but it would pull stumps. It was great until some knucklehead wrapped it around a tree. Youthful indiscretion and beer MAY have been a factor. I don't seem to be able to remember.

Jim
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I'm taking the truck camper to Dunedin this weekend . My daughter is getting married at Larnach Castle https://www.google.com/search?q=larnach ... 00&bih=742 .

It will probably be about a 600km trip , leaving on Wed and back Tues following week if all goes well . Not looking forward to the cold southerly predicted, though the journey is always good .
58 Bedford House
GoodClue

Post by GoodClue »

A castle in NZ ... who'd a thought ... Have a good trip, our best to your daughter and all. Looking forward to your posts, as always.
"ya gotta have art ..."
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

The trip was about 750kms and I used 160L fuel . Pretty poor consumption with the camper on , but not unexpected . The truck ran well and the drive was nice.
I was going to insert an image , but that function seems to have changed .?? yep I'm a dork but I cannot see how to do that now. (Stuart ??)
58 Bedford House
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Dusty wrote: I was going to insert an image , but that function seems to have changed .?? yep I'm a dork but I cannot see how to do that now. (Stuart ??)
http://nomadicista.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1906
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Thanks Stuart , sorry to be a bother , I should have known that.

Pic at the Castle.

58 Bedford House
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

And you would have had at least one dry day too. Can't ask for better than that, here. :D
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Adding a pic of the front shock mounts modification for a reader.

Back ground story . After adding teflon strip to the leaf springs , the original lever action shocks were not able to cope , I modified a Bedford top mount to suit the new tele shocks.

58 Bedford House
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I found an old brass fire guard and cut it down and fitted it as a shield behind the gas cooker in the camper.

58 Bedford House