Dusty's Bus

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

dusty,
That picture of your friends place in the trees with the old trucks is uncanny!! Did you take that in southwest Missouri, USA??

There is a guy whose place we go buy from time to time that looks a LOT like that - I got some deja vu going there just looking at it.

I have talked to the US guy a couple times and he won't sell. Your friend probably won't either, will he?
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Sharkey , it certainly is a project , and it's taking me waaay longer than I am happy with , but progress is being made , so that's ok then.

The original Beddy engine is 330 cu about 5400cc and 98 hp, mind you , some of those horses were lame when new :(

The Nissan is an FE6 which is 6900cc and 180hp . So thats all good.

Unfortunately , as you would expect , nothing is the same size , so everything needs to be made to make it work.

It's ok , it just takes TIME.

The power steering has to be certified by an Engineer, so there goes a bunch of money , then it's back to the regular 6monthly roadworthy inspections.

I have pulled the head off the 330 and discovered that #4 piston has smeared itself up the bore , so that's nice to find the actual cause of the seize.
58 Bedford House
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Stealth, the old trucks local to me here in (Canterbury), and you are correct , the owner is not into selling his stuff.
58 Bedford House
dburt

Post by dburt »

Dusty- did you ever get the Nissan engine installed in your bus yet? I hope you don't have to many issues for motor mounts, hooking up controls, wiring, etc.
dburt

Post by dburt »

Dusty- did you ever get the Nissan engine installed in your bus yet? I hope you don't have to many issues for motor mounts, hooking up controls, wiring, etc.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Still working on it dburt....

I went to fit the radiator to do some measurements and have discovered some lowlife has stolen the radiator :x

Thats going to set me back a while.

Its times like this I wish I had a gun.
58 Bedford House
yugogypsy

Dusty's Bus

Post by yugogypsy »

Oh Dusty that's awful, but I can relate. Was going to fix something on my van and the tools had "walked" away :x

Good thing Rob can come over Weds & fix it for me! :lol:

Good Luck & if you need a rad and can't find it let me know and I'll help if I can.

Been a Nissan FANATIC since I was 16 :D

Lois
Bash On Regardless!
dburt

Post by dburt »

With the price of scrap metal going higher every day here in the states, you have to weld, glue, cement, chain, lock, and nail everything down and even then the scumbags find a way to walk off with it.

You need a sign that says "Sure, you can run off with my stuff punk- but can you outrun a .45?" :shock:
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I used to have a lovely dobermann , quiet and deadly he was , but they only live for so long.

Mostly I am very happy that New Zealand is not a "gun society" but just occasionally I change my mind.

I wasted a day looking locally for a replacement radiator, with no success, it seems I will have to get something shipped down from Hamilton , even just the top and bottom tanks will do , I can put a core in between them.

Money first , eh. :(
58 Bedford House
splummer

Post by splummer »

sorry to hear abot that,i have wasted many daze hunting for things i need but only to find things i dont need :D ,i used to have a lovely pitbull
just because you ride the bus , it doesnt make you a bus person
the bus stopped and i got on and thats how it all began
Dusty

Re: Dusty's Bus

Post by Dusty »

Well, it's been 6 months since the bus engine failed , we've had some more earthquakes , especially destructive in June, then freezing weather with snow over the whole country, then I stood where I should not have and ended up on crutches for a while .....

So progress on the repower has been S L O w .......

I'm adding power steering in this project , so here is a quick update , pic shows the bracket I had to make to adapt the nissan 'box to the old Bedford chassis.

more later .....
58 Bedford House
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Hard to know where not to stand sometimes... Thanks for the update.

Rufus
Headache

Post by Headache »

I'm with you on the slow progress. I can finally get started on my truck. >.<
splummer

Post by splummer »

hows the bus doing ,dusty
just because you ride the bus , it doesnt make you a bus person
the bus stopped and i got on and thats how it all began
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Due to unforeseen circumstances, this topic has lost several of the most recent posts! :banghead: