Dusty's Bus

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

dburt

Post by dburt »

Nice steam engine! Probably better then when it was new! Is the gentleman with the steam shed going to power his tooling and equipment in the "shed" with the stationary steam powered engine? Or is it just for looks and part of his collection?
dburt

Post by dburt »

Dusty- I just saw a program on The Discovery Channel about an Australian bird called the Lyrebird (as I recall). Anyway, it is able to mimic about any noise it hears, including a car alarm, a chain saw, etc. It was really amazing, and extremely funny to see and hear it! :lol:

How come you guys got all the interesting critters down under? :)
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

db, there is a boiler at the rear of the shed , everything is driven by steam 8) 8)

Oh , as for the aussie stuff ......................... thats like confusing USA and Canada. :roll: definately not PC. :wink:

Despite that gaff , I understand what you're saying , there are definately a few interesting critters around Oz. :)
58 Bedford House
dburt

Post by dburt »

Dusty, I will be more careful about the difference between NZ and Aussieland :oops:
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

db , that's cool ..

SO the next day , we took a drive to Collingwood , the weather did its thing again and kept the country side green , didn't seem to bother the locals , they just kept plodding on .. :wink:

The local garage, dark and well used inside , keeping up with the tourism on the outside. Weather testing the windscreen seals on the truck again . LOL.

The garage also had a rescue truck , an old Bedford RL 4X4,

58 Bedford House
splummer

Post by splummer »

ah , what great pics, love the coe , thank you
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

So the week moved on and I went home via HWY 1 , mostly cause I could , but a little because a storm was forecast and the east coast is as far away from the 'nor-wester as I could get.

After leaving Blenheim , I had lots of trouble staying on the road , the wind was so strong , at one stage , I stopped and removed the canvas canopy cover (that I had camped in) to reduce the reaction to the wind.

This poor truckie got tossed by the wind and lost.

Look at the front wheel skid marks , the driver was very lucky to just miss the power pole.

Last edited by Dusty on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
58 Bedford House
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Earlier , I showed you a pic of the Waipara Steam train , here are a couple more pics of it for you.

Inside one of the restored carriages.

58 Bedford House
Dusty

4X4 scenic focus

Post by Dusty »

Changing focus a little , still on NZ scenery , just at a different time . I had let the old Chevy languish in the back yard and got a Toyota Landcruiser ....
Initially , it was so I could take the dogs a little up stream from the general public .. however ... upstream proved SO enticing ....

We joined the "landrover Club". We were the newest vehicle there and the lads could hardly believe their eyes when we turned up in a 3yr old truck , LOL . Most of the old Landys were 20yrs or older.

Much fun was had by all , we learned a lot , taught some of the old hands a few tricks and made a great bunch of friends.

Generally I will try to put the pics in some sort of trip order .. but there was hours of grind converting these hard copy to digital so a few will look bad and some out of order ..... so be it. :)

The first trip we ever went on with the 4x4 club was up the Ashley river .. well, it was in flood !! :roll: what the heck ?? ok, if they can do it , so can I :shock:

58 Bedford House
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

But wait ........... it gets better ......... :D

Let me introduce the truck , it's a 1978 BJ40 Landcruiser. That means it has the early 3 litre diesel engine, it's jap assembled , came here via Oz , where it was fitted out with some extras.

Power steer
Gleeson torque sensing diffs (front and rear)
Recaro seats
Bull bars
plus some other bits.

Much discussion / banter / bigottry was dealt with regarding the controversial fat feet on it. :)

58 Bedford House
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Since the Ashley river is local , there will be a few pics in that area .

However our second trip was to Lake Daniels. This is just on the West Coast side of the Alps and is famous for its beautiful Beech forests and sandflies.

The route to the lake follows Station creek for most of the way , then a short jaunt over/across Thompsons Flat. (Strangely , owned by Mr Thompson at that time).

The creek was locally rain fed , and the 'coast has plenty of rain . So the trip in might be quite different to the trip out :shock: . if you know what I mean :D

Always a delight and always a challange . Some trips could take ALL day to get to the 'flat , and most of the night to get across the 'flat , other times , an hour and a half saw us out to the road :roll: . It really did depend on who was there and what the weather had done.

There was a hut near the far end of the flat , we often gathered there , if the track access was good enough.

And just around the corner from the hut if things got tooooo hard.

58 Bedford House
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Another fabulous trip was up the Rangatata river , beyond Erewhon Station.

At the end of the pic , the track up the river gets a little stony ...

Further into the mountains , it starts to get remote, we came across a deer stalkers hut , a couple of hunters were REALLY surprised to see us there . They had spent a few days walking in :roll:

58 Bedford House
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

As we got more experience we often went out alone , exploring , and found some lovely places to camp out.

58 Bedford House
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I think we probably went into the Lake Daniels track about 12 or more trips , so here is some more views ...

58 Bedford House
Bob

Post by Bob »

What a great show that was! I love the Land Cruiser they are one tough machine...and diesel..they arent available in the US. I love my Jeep Sahara too and they tow on all 4's..its great to drive where most others have to walk to! Thanks for sharing the trip!
Wherever I am...I am home.