Neoplan bus

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Rudy

Neoplan bus

Post by Rudy »

This is for sale on ebay motors.

Vehicle Description

Neoplan, a German company, exclusively developed and sold only 22 of these incredible 48 foot buses to the Kennedy Space Station in the 1980's. After their use as tour buses, many of the buses went into disrepair or were destroyed. Several of the buses have been converted into marvelous RV's, and one or two have been restored to their original condition or better.

Occasionally these buses come to market, however it is very difficult to find one that is in a restorable condition. This is Bus #1, titled in 1983. It was driven from California to Albuquerque, NM in February of 2008, a testament to just how well-built these German-engineered beauties are... and the restorable condition this bus is in. The driver informed me the bus ran well and was very solid, but did say that by today's standards the bus is under-powered. The bus has only been driven a couple of times since 2008, and so its condition remains the same. The bus is in very good condition as you can see from the pictures, and has very little rust for being a Florida vehicle (likely do to the time it has been stored in Albuquerque and California).

Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Rudy

Post by Rudy »

The first floor.

This next picture is of the top floor.

This last picture gives you an idea of how big this bus is.

Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Someone makes a 60 footer one of these and they turn up on ebay from time to time. :shock:
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
dburt

Post by dburt »

What a perfect bus for a super-duper house bus!
dadeo

Post by dadeo »

Here's one my friend was doing some work on in 1996. It was gonna be cool but the owner got weird about money and canceled the order:

I think it had, or was to have a bar!!
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

In the last pic that Rudy posted, that's what it looks like when you hug your bus goodby. :( :D
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Here's one of the ones that was on ebay a while back. I think it went for around 40 grand, witch is not bad really if you have it to toss :D I bet these things are a mechanical nightmare when some goes wrong :twisted: but it sure would be fun to have one 8)
Peace along the way
dburt

Post by dburt »

Ah, the Jumbo Cruiser, the Ultimate bus to convert to a house bus! Makes all other buses pale in comparison! I think I am in love again!
Busdriver74

Post by Busdriver74 »

I moved about 10 of these buses from Kennedy to Arizona. I would strongly advise against them. For one thing they are 48' long and you must have a permit every-time you drive them.
If you must have one, I have 3 of them. I'd let them go pretty cheap.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Hmm, Better not :cry:
Peace along the way
dburt

Post by dburt »

Busdriver74- you just broke my bubble, dashed my dream, is there no Santa Claus after all?? :(

Just when I was thinking that this super jumbo bus was the answer to all my bus house dreams............

I wonder if you would have to get permits for them if they are converted to an RV?

Oh, I can't afford one anyway, but they sure are neat to look at!! :)
Busdriver74

Post by Busdriver74 »

The guy who bought a couple of them had the same idea. He was going to turn them into motorhomes. Maybe other states are different, but in TX a single vehicle cannot be over 45 foot long. The other issue is they are pretty tall, 13'6" if I remember right. That would limit travel to interstates mostly.

A few other problems I see is that even though they are powered by 8V92TA/HT740 they run hot when driven above about 45-50MPH. They have plenty more but the cooling system will not keep up. They have a massive air conditioning system and most of the space is devoted to condensing units for the a/c instead of radiator space.
They have about 4" of ground clearance and no bay space for a generator or batteries etc.

The guy would sell them cheap, im sure so price shouldn't be an issue.

Great forum and great folks BTW. I have enjoyed lurking big time.

Sharkey, if you read this I sure would like you to write some more about your housetruck experience. You left me hanging........
Thanks for the great website!
J
dburt

Post by dburt »

J BD74- we were all left hanging when Sharkey took a hiatus from writing, but maby if enough of us plead with him, he will hear us and give us another chapter or two in the Saga of Sharkey the Housetruck Dweller!

BTW, exactly how much does the man want for his jumbo buses? It can't hurt to ask, and dream a little more! :wink:
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

If I was Sharkey, I would save my energy to put that story into book form. Sure he may never get rich from it, but why give away something most people would be willing to pay for? Just because writing is a "labor of love" for Sharkey, doesn't mean it isn't labor.

I would buy a copy...in a heartbeat!

Chuck