Oddjob

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

dadeo

Oddjob

Post by dadeo »

I bought my bus"Oddjob" in 1999 in Clackamas, OR. at Western Bus sales. It was a 1960 Ford B-600, 292-v8, 4-spd w/ 2-spd rear-end, even had the sand switch to make sand come out in front of the drive wheels. The list price was $1400. As soon as I showed interest, however, the salesman said I could have it for a thousand. I bought it and drove it to a friends land outside of Bend, OR., where he let me use his tools, materials and his bus for ideas and to sleep in while I set up mine.I was there for a month or so when It was time to go back to Cali for a class my friend had to attend. Here's a picture of it while at the school (nature school):
still yellow!!

Anyway, I ended up living in it for 2 years or so, in Escondido, CA, Tecate, BC, Maryland, and back in California. I then decided to move to Michigan, so I gave the bus to my friend who rented it out as a "room" and eventually they sold it for $2000!!!
More pix:
in Maryland

brokedown on the way back to Cali

partying in Pomona

drivers seat

control panel
dburt

Post by dburt »

Did you do the exterior painting, or did you have it done? I like the dark green and white or cream top.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Nice homey rig
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Mark B

Post by Mark B »

I like Oddjob. Good year, too!

The person sitting at the table in Pomona looks to be all of about 12 :shock: .

Which brings up a point I've been pondering.

Would it be better to buy an older bus like this with tons of character, knowing full well the drivetrain probably needs updating and figuring on that going in.... Or..... Buying a newer cookie cutter bus and not knowing what you have? I understand the older buses (skoolies) will be gasoline powered, but they have standard old school drivetrains that about any shade tree mechanic can work on.

I guess it all depends on the individual, but I sure do love them old buses. The first bus I ever rode on when I was in school was a '56, or so.

Mark
dadeo

Post by dadeo »

Thanks! The guy at the table is about 15 or so @ the time, he wasn't drinking the Courvoisier- I promise!!
I think as far as which bus to get (new or old),or with any factor, it all depends on what you want to do with it. For example, if you want to travel all over the country constantly, an older bus might not be best. Mine broke down alot! As you said, it is more possible to do the repair work yourself, still- it can suck. If, however, you just want it for week-end outings, short trips to fairs, guest house, etc...with maybe the occasional longer trip... an older bus might be better. They really are classy!!
The paint on mine was Hammerite http://www.hammerite.com/global/products/index.html I used it because it didnt require a primer and has a cool marbled finish. We actually used rollers and brushes!! My friend could have sprayed the bus, but it was easier/ cheaper that way.
dadeo

Post by dadeo »

Another alternative to deciding on an old or new bus is to put an old, classy bus body on a new chassis. Sounds a bit crazy? I know it's occured to many of us. Well, here's some people who've done it:
http://www.bernhardbus.com/58_Chevy_Bus.html
Pretty cool result!
Granny

Post by Granny »

So, what I am hearing, maybe someone can answer this for me (I am new here), to be considered a "skoolie" they must be the older gas powered school buses? I am in the process of looking for a school bus to convert. I know I definitely want a diesel bus with air brakes (I have experience driving them). I just was curious on the classification of a "skoolie". I was planning to get a pusher till talking with DBurt, and he talked me into a conventional so I could build a "porch" :D on the back.
dburt

Post by dburt »

Hey Ginger- I see you joined up! Good for you, you've made an excellant choice! Did you see the bus I posted on the "for sale" (buy, sell, trade) forum, the front engine flat nose Thomas from the the Homedale school district? There is still time to bid on it, and you can put that rear porch on it too!! :lol:
It's just a bit over my budget right now! :cry:
Granny

Post by Granny »

Thanks for the welcome. I opted not to bid on it as it is a little out of my price range as well. I put my bid in on the other one.