crapers and holding tanks

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

lev

crapers and holding tanks

Post by lev »

Hello,
This is my first post here. This is a great site...Wondering if anyone has installed an alternative to black holding tanks, eg incolet toilets or??
I have a five ton international that i;m just starting a build on, its an ex race car toterhome and i'm building it into a truck house.
Thanks
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Lev. Good Clue (Doug) has an incolet. I have a friend who has a composting toilet. Before you know it, you will have a lot of information from our members on this subject.

Join us on Chat some time. Rudy
Got love? Give love.
osteoderm

Post by osteoderm »

I've installed "airhead"-style composting toilets in a couple boats. Brand new, they seem expensive, but once you factor in the saving from not having a blackwater tank, plumbing, etc, they're actually a good deal. Properly used, they're not smelly and work great!
“Indeed it is well said, ‘The world is full of inexhaustible meaning’; the eye sees in it what the eye brings means of seeing.â€
lev

re black tank alternatives

Post by lev »

Hello all,
Thanks for the replies. I am planning on running all the electrical in the living area in 120/240v. ac. so thought any kind of incolet or composting unit might work. Grey water is not an issue but truckin around a tank of effluent looking for a sani dump seems like a hassle. I want to be free of any hook-ups as long as possible. Also thinking of a diesel space heater, like the marine type for heat.
I'm an electrical contractor and we do lots of offgrid work so if anyone needs info re pv, inverters or batteries and such , please feel free to ask.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Lev, join us on the chat sometime. Doug (goodClue) is there almost daily. He would be glad to tell you about his incinolet. Here's a link to his post.

http://www.mrsharkey.com/forum/vwtp.php?t=1011
Got love? Give love.
lev

chatline

Post by lev »

Thanks for the invite Rudy, its usually later in the evening when I finally come in from the shop and sit down at the ol laptop. I'm on pacific standard time here so it must be much later in your area. Saw some of your woodwork on here, I'm planning on a total wood interior on the truck, no plastic or offgassing on this one. Leaning toward a sailboat type interior, lots of local wood involved, red and yellow cedar, clear hemlock, and fir etc.
GoodClue

Incinolet ...

Post by GoodClue »

Hello Lev ...
I do have an incinolet ... very happy with its performance.
Like you, I wanted to eliminate black water holding tanks, and composting toilets do not function well at 8200 feet elevation ... most cost more than the Incinolet and require lots more attention.
http://www.incinolet.com/
Totally portable, mine runs on 115Volt 20 Amps.
Set from the factory, the timer on the burn cycle is one hour. I set mine at 1 1/2 hour, suggested for heavier usage tho I'm currently the only user.
I have mine set up in a temporary garage till I decide where next, my bus ... I have the bathroom layed out but now using as a closet. As the weather gets better I'll decide whether the Incinolet will go into a trailer or the bus.
Feel free to ask any questions, Rudy was kind enough to post a link to it ...
Doug
"ya gotta have art ..."
lev

incolet

Post by lev »

Hello Goodclue,
Thanks for the incolet info., and thanks to Rudy for posting your site. I'm definitly going with the same unit you have, as my truck electrical is all 120/240vac. I'm going to install a zantrex full sine wave inverter and a big battery bank down low for ballast, 180w. pv panels above the cab that also act as a wind deflector. This rig is going to be westcoast hippie truck meets 2001 hi-tech, has big chrome stacks and a texas bumper on the front.
Thanks again, Lev
lev

incolet post

Post by lev »

Hi, Lev here again....I should of described my truck as "meets 2010 hi tech not 2001, where have I been for nine years???
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Hi Lev,
It is not unusual for Hippie's to lose a stash.....of about 9 years. :shock:
You can edit any post you have made, just click on the "edit" button, (top right corner of your post) then make any changes you want and click "submit.

Chuck
Mark B

Post by Mark B »

So, what happens if the Incinolet malfunctions? I can see the headline now.

"Burning Turd Destroys Hippy Bus"

:lol: :lol:

Mark
lev

incolet

Post by lev »

Hello all,
Thanks Chuck, I'm a newbie to all this forum, posting stuff so any directions are appreciated.
Hello to Mark, seriously I think these Incolet units have a pretty good track record. I think if you crunch the numbers, comparing all the pieces required to install a typical rv toilet, holding tank, fittings, tank and tank mounting, and drain system, plus some kind of monitor for level, it may be easier just to install one of these. I havn't got a Canadian price yet , but it can't be too far off the US price.
Lev
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Most typical RV toilets are so small it would probably be easier to crap on an old coffee can. :D

Today I found this site.
It has full sized toilets that use very little water to flush.
Has anyone tried any of their products?

http://www.microphor.com/index.shtml
GoodClue

Incinolet ...

Post by GoodClue »

Hello all ...
I still love the Incinolet ... no negatives to date ... simple, sanitary ...
I did boost the burn time to the recommended 1.5 hours for my current situation and as long as I'm the principle user will keep it at that setting.

Thought I had an Airstream trailer builder through Craigslist, went to Boulder to buy ... they value their trash in Boulder ... still was worth the 300 mile round trip to check out. I'd forgotten how crowded the CO front range had become ... needed the reminder ...:cry:

Still have hopes to find a decent Airstream/Avion or similar to expand into and tow behind my 46 Chevy ... disconnect and use the bus at craft fairs, etc ... want to put the Incinolet in it's bath.

Still, the Incinolet is one of the best investments I've made ... can use it anywhere with a decent generator ... still have it in a shower cabana inside one of my portable garages ...

... and no black water tank to empty :lol:
GoodClue
"ya gotta have art ..."