New Life!

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Granny

Post by Granny »

Ok, this isn't the best photo of the stool, weather has been too nasty to finish the painting. However, this shows what it will look like painted a little better. It's sitting on my back deck. It will be bolted to the back porch on the bus.

I have also made cushions for it.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Hey Ginger and gang, Check these out. There's a guy selling these on ebay, pretty cool, right 8) Used propane tanks.
[img][img]http://i44.tinypic.com/2mhs9s1.jpg[/img][/img]
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Granny

Post by Granny »

Wow Dennis, those are cool. The list is endless as to what can be done with metal.
Here is the finished chair, with it's cushions on it. All it needs now is the porch done so it can be mounted on to it :) .

The color doesn't show up quite as nice as I would like.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Sweeeeet 8)
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
longjohn

Post by longjohn »

Looks good ,ginger
Take a Child Camping and they will have fun
But take a child Campin,
And they will always cherish,
The memory!!!

Campin,Campin,Campin
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

I like the way it looks w/out the cushions, too.
Granny

Post by Granny »

Hey, I had a tire blow out just as I hit Boise with my bus. I have stayed in New Life quite a bit the past month. I have barely started on my conversion, but have been busy learning how to use some new tools, and preparing things for the conversion. I have also been working hard trying to get things settled in after this long move. I do not have my computer set up yet, so am rarely on line. Hope everyone has had a great summer.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Hi Ginger, good to see that you ahven't disappeared. I know what that moving thing is like, I've been thinking about four years ago when I picked up and hauled everything off to a new abode. I'm still digging in the bottom of cardboard boxes to find stuff even now.

Going to have to see if I can come up with a way to get the forum revved up this Fall. Things have gotten so slow and dead that it's tempting to just pull the plug on the whole site.
GoodClue

Where's Ginger?

Post by GoodClue »

Good to hear you're still up and running Ginger ...
Was about to post "Where's Ginger?"
GoodClue
"ya gotta have art ..."
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Ginger, tell us more about which tire blew out, emergency driving technique, and , how and where, you got a replacement. It would have been a (white knuckle flight) for me. Glad to see you back. Rudy
Got love? Give love.
Granny

Post by Granny »

Oh Sharkey, please don't pull the plug. I can't be on much right now (my computer isn't up and running) but I would miss this site terribly.
My right inside dually is the one that blew. So far, I haven't worried about replacing the tire. The bus is parked here where it is going to go through it's transformation. I am not very good at all with the sawsall (sp). I am not fond of operating that saw. So, I drove the bus about the last five miles with the one inside tire flat. Thanks to Oregon's own home grown tire store, and their "underinflating" my tire before I left Oregon with the bus.
I have been busy getting my horse situated, getting the dogs settled in, etc.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

> sawzall...

Practice makes perfect... <g> It's a lot easier if you use one that has variable speed at the trigger. A larger tool is not better if you're a part time user. Most saws allow your to mount the blade "upside down" which is handy sometimes and actually the way I use it almost all the time. Bent blades can be straightened but watch you fingers - that blade is HOT after working on a cut. Buy to blades by the box (5-6 blades); you want at least one type for cutting metal and one type for cutting wood. 18-TPI for metal seems to work better than 22-TPI. I like the "rough-in" blades for wood that have a sloping snout because it's easier to work around corners. I personally don't like the battery saws because they seem to run at a much higher speed (burns the blades unless you're really careful) and the batteries run out frequently, are expensive and take a long time to charge (fully).

After serious use, the grease in the gear box at the nose gets runny and weeps out; also if you cut with the saw in running water (like plumbers do). You can open up the nose and replentish the grease and that will keep you saw way happier.

If the blade wobbles or more likely twists because the plunger is loose, that will make life _VERY_ difficult for you and it's probably worth fixing either by service or with a new saw.

Now wasn't that just everything you needed to know! <g>

Rufus
dburt

Post by dburt »

Sharkey- I have been busy working, trying to keep the wolves off the front porch so I have not been on the site much lately- but please don't pull the plug. I will be back this fall when the weather cools down and I can't work as much outside- due to lack of work mostly, not 'cuz I get too cold. This site is too important to too many folks to let it expire, I am sure I don't even have a clue as to how much work Sharkey puts into this baby of his. But I am one person who really appreciates his work!
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

I spoke with Ginger (Granny) on the phone.

As most of you know, she was in Idaho for a little while.

She is now back in Oregon.

She is alive and well. We have not heard from her in a while because she no longer has a computer.

She asked that I would tell the "bus family" that she misses us as much as we miss her.

Occasionally, she has a little time to check into Sharkey's when she is at the library.

Many of us are looking forward to when she will be able to post again.
Got love? Give love.
dburt

Post by dburt »

Glad to hear Ginger Granny is still well and kicking! I still have her old A/C WD tractor at my house, the one with the cracked block that would be too expensive to repair, but too good to take to the scrap dealer. I can't bear to think of an old workhorse tractor getting melted down into a cheap foreign car that will get sold back to us here in America.