1957 Crown Atomic Energy Coach

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

YOU FLAT-TOWED THAT BUS BEHIND A PICKUP TRUCK??????
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Now that is SUPER BITCHEN!!
Steve is going to freak when he see's this!

Good score John, Thanks for posting.
Did you tow it or drive it home?

Chuck
MrBreeze

Post by MrBreeze »

Your Damn Right I Did :lol:

It Wasnt All That Bad Being My Dodge Is A 1 Ton Dually. I Never Would Have Done It With A Single Wheel.

My Son Derek Stayed In The Crown And Helped Steer And Brake If He Needed To..... But My Dodge Slowed The Crown With Ease. Derek Only Had To Steer When We Did Sharp Turns Into Gas Stations And Stuff Like That.

Originally I Was Going To Drive It Home. But Once There In Montana It Was Cold And I Just Didnt Feel Like Rebuilding The Carb There In The Ally Where The Bus Was Sitting.

Anyway......She Has Been Saved !!!

I Had A State Patrol Roll Around Me And Thumbs Up'd Me As He Passed. It Wasnt All As Bad As It Looked. My Tow Bar Is Built To Handle Large Trucks. I Have Hauled Many Cross Country With NO Problems.

Over All.....SchWING !!!!!

JOHN
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

John,
Does that bus have a 4 cylinder AC unit mounted down on the frame?
Does it still have the seats in it?
Does it have a rear trunk like a school bus?
Sorry for all the questions. I will have more next time I look at the pics.

Chuck
dburt

Post by dburt »

John, that is one trip for the books! You son gets kudos for riding it what must have been a very cold bus for all those miles back to Denver! :)

I don't think I would have been brave enough to flat tow that bus all that distance, it could have been kinda like the tail wagging the dog. But you had a good tow rig, and took precautions like having your son to steer and apply brakes if needed, so we are glad to see you made it home ok :!:

Are you going to change out the Hall Scott engine for a Cummins or so some other diesel?
dburt

Post by dburt »

Chuck- the old Diamond Reo I used in the beet harvest weighed right at 16,000 empty, and that was with a 20 feet beet box, hoist, tandem axles, etc. The old gal was a slug empty, but when loaded with 40,000 lbs of beets she was downright dowdy. Of course the gear box mated to the 3-spd brownie never seemed to be a match made in heaven, it seemed like there was never the right combination of gears for any given situation. You were either geared too high or too low.

I think I was getting close to about 5-6 mpg when working it hard in the fields like I did, and running back and forth to the beet dump with my foot in the injection pump most of the time.
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Now for some audio enjoyment.
Featured now is the finest audio equipment money can buy.....or I should say could buy, in like...1970.
Feast your eyes on this, but try not to drool.
If only you could hear what these sound like, I'm sure you would be amazed!
With this system, you can enjoy all your favorite hits, such as "The Death Of The Disco Duck"
The first item presented here, an 8-track 4-channel player. Oh Baby!

Now how much would you pay?
Wait don't answer, there's more, included is this AM radio pack from Panasonic.
Just jam it in where the tape goes, and you can enjoy all the stale talk radio you can handle.

For all you big spenders out there,
I will include this FM radio pack! If you order now, you can have this for 18 small monthly payments of just $39.95
made payable to Mr Sharkey's "Tip Jar" And for that price Sharkey might tell you how to make all this junk work. :D

And don't forget, if you roll into da hood wit dis sisom blassin, you gonna pull mo bitsis den Tiga Wood....Sit.

MrBreeze

Post by MrBreeze »

Like I Said...It Wasnt All That Bad Of A Tow... But Not Something Everyone Should Try. If You Have Small Balls Stay Home And Let The BIG DOGS Roll...10-4

The Big Thing Was To Save The BUS... :lol: If I Was A Younger Man I Might Have Even Used A Chain To Save Her Life. It Would Have Broken My Heart To Hear Of It Crushed.... Heck, They Dont Make Them Anymore.

OK.... QUESTIONS......
Yes, The Crown Has The Rear Storage Like A Lot Of Crowns DId.

NO ...All The Seats Were Removed From A Previeus PO :cry: :cry: I Wished The Bus Was Complete Inside (Seats & Overhead Baggage). I Love Original Seated Coaches That Havent Been Molested.

NO AC

Dburt, I Am Going To Leave The Bus Just As It Is For Now...No Plans For An Engine Transplant. Im Happy Its A Hall Scott And Will Leave It Alone.
I Have Way To Many Buses Now And Cant.. Plate And Insure Them All...So.Just Another Toy To Play With When I Get Tired With The One Before It...10-4

Still My Favorite Crown Of All Times...Has To Be My Embree # 63. This Bus Would Be My Pick To Convert Over Any I Own..Including My Eagles. I Guess I Will Alway Have School Bus In My Blood. The Problem With This Bus Is...Its Just To Damn Nice To Change !! I Couldnt Bare To Take The Seats Out. She Belongs In A Museum. AS IS....Im Planning A Small Make Over To Street Rodders National Transportion Bus. Or Something Like That. You Get The Idea.?

And YES...I Will Post Some Pictures Of The Embree., Although Not Much Has Changed Since You All Saw The Ebay Pictures That Are Posted Already. Well Besides The 1800 Miles I Put On Her And The Newly Mopped Floors :lol: But What I Need Is Some CHROME Valve Covers !!

Thanks
MrBreeze

Post by MrBreeze »

I Forgot.....I Want The Radio !!! Just Gotta Have It.

Email Me
bestekustoms AT aol.com

10-4

JOHN
Mark B

Post by Mark B »

I think that radio is pretty happening. Could be worth a small fortune to the right person. It was probably pretty high dollar back in the day.

Mark
Granny

Post by Granny »

Hey, the fights on for the radio. I have a collection of Elvis 8-tracks that I have nothing to play them in any more. Well, I just went to look at what other ones I have, but they are all packed. I know I got some KISS and Beach Boys, too. :roll:
I guess I'll have to pass this go around, I remembered I'm moving and don't want the extra to have to move.
MrBreeze, we're still waiting for you to start your own thread with photos of your buses you keep telling us about. :wink:
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Mark B wrote:I think that radio is pretty happening. Could be worth a small fortune to the right person. It was probably pretty high dollar back in the day.

Mark
Mark,

The fact that we live in a world where certain people value collecting naval lint or half decomposed cat turds, I'm sure your are correct about the small fortune.
For most of us on this site, $39.95 for 18 months would qualify as a small fortune.

Chuck
Mark B

Post by Mark B »

Jones'n4chrome wrote:
Mark B wrote:I think that radio is pretty happening. Could be worth a small fortune to the right person. It was probably pretty high dollar back in the day.

Mark
Mark,

The fact that we live in a world where certain people value collecting naval lint or half decomposed cat turds, I'm sure your are correct about the small fortune.
For most of us on this site, $39.95 for 18 months would qualify as a small fortune.

Chuck
Don't go bad-mouthing people that collect navel lint, now....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mark
William Biffwinkle

Post by William Biffwinkle »

What really drives the price up is how well the simulated leather is still glued down. But there is a bit of chrome peel off on the plastic. so I'm gonna wait to see where the price ends up....

Man, I can just see crusin' down the road in my schoolie with a Van Morrison 8 track tape jacked into that beauty and buzzy sounds of "moondance" coming out of the cheap Kraco speakers....

I miss the '70s...
Mark B

Post by Mark B »

Wait..... Chuck has some Kraco speakers, too?

Mark