1957 Crown Atomic Energy Coach

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Thanks mark,

Funny, I was leaning toward Napa or Interstate already.
I will look into the group 31's. I might be moving to Montana soon, so CCA's will be something to consider. I do like the studs better than the posts also.
I have bought a few batteries from Costco over the years, but the results have been inconsistent.
Thanks again for the advice.

Chuck
Granny

Post by Granny »

Chuck, yep. I hear the interstate batteries are supposed to be good ones. A friend of mine here in town deals in them. And, I promised her rep. that I would "promote" them in exchange for one of his calendars this year. :)
Griff
~(G)Q

Post by Griff »

Jones'n4chrome wrote:...I might be moving to Montana soon...
Gonna be a dennil floss tycoon? :wink: :D
~(G)Q Arduously Avoiding Assimilation
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Just me and the pygmy pony over by the dennil floss bush.
Got love? Give love.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

I had 24 / 6 volt interstate golf cat batteries slit in to 2 banks with 1400 watts of solar in my last skoolie / home for about 4 1/2 years and I gave them to a buddy and he used 16 of the last good ones for a year or so after that. I do have 8 BJ's golf cart batteries here in my little 500 watt solar trailer that are allmost 2 years old and the seem to be holding up pretty good.
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
asavage

Post by asavage »

Let me add my vote for Interstate batteries.

While I'm not completely satisfied with the life of their dry cells, the lead-acid Interstates are the best I've tried. Additionally, back when I used to sell them, I almost never had to warranty them. Exides are the worst. Costco's . . . I've had about eight of them, and the price is the best thing about them. Never got one to last its term.

Interstates for me.
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

This bus sure looks a lot like mine. It has more taillights then mine.

This bus is on Craigslist.

Crown road bus 1965 needs work. 150,000 original miles. The bus needs a starter and battery. It is not running at this time. Please call Jim at 360-270-1867 360-270-1867. Asking $4000 obo.

Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Here are some photos of what appears to be a retired police mobil command post, but I'm not actually sure about that.
It was parked just off a main street in Reseda, Ca.

I like the natural lighting from the top windows.
Thats stealth lighting up there, easy to get sunlight, but hard for someone to look in...AKA the cops. :D

It has a back up camera, a small liftgate and I think the exhaust stack is from a generator.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

That upper row of windows makes me think "Bookmobile", but I suppose that it could be any type of office/examination room/radio center, etc.
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Sharkey wrote:That upper row of windows makes me think "Bookmobile", but I suppose that it could be any type of office/examination room/radio center, etc.
Well Sharkey, I not sure why you would think that... :D Good call.

Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

I want a bookmobile!!

Over 90% of the batteries are made by one company - Johnson Controls. Exide, Interstate, Batteries Plus, Duralast (AutoZone), Costco, WalMart, and Sam's club, Optima (too small capacity for me), plus many others (Sears DieHard)....made in USA, it is likely JCI. Except Lifeline.

The big box clubs (Costco, Sam's, WalMart) all buy to a price point. Unfortunately that is cheaper price point than I am willing to tolerate. For best results, you pretty much have to step up at least one notch. It's all about the lead.

Napa is generally better. I have had very good luck with Duralast (Autozone gold top) with my Dodge diesel pickup truck.

The higher priced places seem to have a little more lead and quite a bit better durability.

I did find a place (Lifeline) that seems to make a good battery outside of JCI, but they are more expensive. I am thinking about AGM for trailer, then bus when get it done. They are high!
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Back about 6 or 7 years ago, Eagle Picher made a "Horizon" battery that was a wonderful AGM solution. It was about 5" x 5" x 36" and would fit in very small (but longer) spaces.

Can't remember capacity, but it was over 100 AH, if memory serves. Expensive, but very nice.

There was a company in Tulsa that made idling systems for big trucks that used several of these batteries. The system would run the AC and power for internal operation (TV, etc) for about 10 hours. When restarted, the increased capacity alternator would charge it up in just a few hours run time. (275 amp alternator). Didn't have to idle at a gallon per hour.

System cost about $12,000 to install, though. Ouch!

Battery is gone now, or I would be trying to put it in trailer right now.