installing non rv type windows in a house truck

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

lev

installing non rv type windows in a house truck

Post by lev »

Hello again,
This may not be a new topic but just a detail I've been kicking around. Any advice for or against using residential style top hung windows in a house truck. I want a top hung window with a screen that cranks open ,so you can have ventilation rain or shine. I've looked at the rv ones and also the pricey euro style ones you see on euro expedition trucks, but would there be a problem using a typical Home depot window ? I realize that they would not be safety glass or tempered, but if the truck was in a bad collision all hell would be breaking loose anyway. My truck is a five ton and there will be very little flex in the frame and coach. I've seen some practical double glazed units in houses we've worked on that would work perfectly.
Thanks, Lev..
dburt

Post by dburt »

Well, there are lots of old vintage camp trailers and house trucks around that have non-safety type glass in the windows after all these years, and they have no broken yet! I am in the process of refurbishing an 1947 Robin Hood camp trailer that still has 4 of the original windows in it, one even has an old BB gun hole in it, and it has not broken yet!

I have wondered the same thing myself- why not use a Home Depot type window? And, what about all those old stained glass windows in the old hippie-style house trucks and buses that seem to stand up pretty well after all those miles on the road in rather rough riding trucks with bias ply tires and stout suspensions.
lev

windows

Post by lev »

I guess that is the issue, whether or not the non rv type window would take road use. I just spoke with a fellow truck friend, he said "oh no the windows would all crack and fall out", but as Dburt pointed out what of all the old house trucks with the funky residential glass in them. what makes a rv window different? If a person set a vinyl window in properly would it not survive?
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

I would urge you not to use standard glass in a motorhome. The reason being if you have an accident the glass will slice up any people it comes in contact with, irrespective of whether they are in your vehicle or another vehicle involved in an accident with yours.

It matters not who would be responsible for an accident, the result would be the same, and by driving on the road, you are open to the possibility of an accident no matter how careful you are.
lev

glass

Post by lev »

I heed your advice, you are correct, regular glass is off the list and safety glass is in. My original plan was to use rv type glass and tig weld up some frames that were top hung ,similar to marine type frames. Back to the drawing board. Thanks
dburt

Post by dburt »

Maby there is an RV surplus or salvage store near you, where they strip out wrecked RVs and sell the components. There is one such place near our place in SW Idaho where they get surplus parts "over-runs" from the different manufacturing plants and combined with the salvage parts, they have 'pert near everything you would want or need for building or restoring your own RV. That way you could get the windows you need at a great cost reduction, and have the safety glass feature!
Mark B

Post by Mark B »

The other option is to watch Craigslist. I see RVs to be scrapped fairly often. Sometimes they’re even free. You can even glean some appliances that way. Even if you have to pay a few hundred…. Probably worth it and you can scrap the steel to recoup.

Mark
lev

non rv windows

Post by lev »

re the height of the windows , that's a thought I had when I was debating the use of " residential units " in my truck. The windows would be approx. 5' above my trucks frame level which is at least 4' from the road. With the rv windows I'm just not impressed with the thermal qualitys they have. I would like to have my truck super efficient heat loss wise and also stay super cool in desert conditions with out relying on an ac unit.