New Member from downunder

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Merlin

New Member from downunder

Post by Merlin »

Hi,

After lurking for a year or more I have finally made the effort and became a member. I have found this site informative, funny, and motivating. For one reason or the other (or a combination of circumstances) I have finally made the jump into mobile living, unfortunately, on a somewhat smaller scale than most of the people on this site.
My aim was to create a stealth home that would allow me to live rent free in an urban environment. I have managed to do this as my rig looks like a landscapers or delivery van and doesn't draw a second look. My rig is in imperial measurements (we use metric in Aus) approximately 9ft long x 6ft wide by 5ft high, that sits on a 2004 Isuzi 1.2 ton cab chassis.
Due to underestimating the time it took to move out of my house of 4years and not getting paid for a job on time I was forced to weld the unfinished unit on top of the steel tray of my ute. This was the start of a series of misadventures. I made it so the roof could be lifted up to give full headroom -- after rushing to get it ready on time I forgot to fasten the roof-- with a predictable result --at least no one was hurt. I made a ply wood roof as the next day was my first day on the road --- than it rained I had to set up a tent inside the unit. Than one night the unit shook a bit and I could hear voices outside, I thought it was security but it was someone stealing the rear number (licence) plate.
However overall I have found the experience of bucking the system exhilarating and the experience to be positive and have started planning the next unit.

Charlie
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Hi Charlie,

What a way to start an adventure. Never a dull moment when it starts out like that.
Welcome, thanks for taking the time to join. Sharkey has provided a real good site for us to enjoy. Now that you are a member, you also have access to SharkChat, be sure to stop by and say hello.
Again welcome aboard.

Chuck
dburt

Post by dburt »

Hey Charlie- welcome to the site! Don't be cheap with the pics, post as many as you can, ok??

Remember, you have to post them to a site like www.tinypics.com and then paste the URL description/address to your post when you submit it so they will come thru on Sharkey's site.
Merlin

Cheers

Post by Merlin »

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the welcome, I have been working 12hour night shifts (shopfitting) since my last post so have not been able to post anything. I am currently living rent free in a mates garage (has a shower), so far I have dodged about $A2500 in rent (two months rent). Over the easter break I will complete the basic fitout. So far I have spent about $3000 on the rig and should be able to make it reasonably comfortable for another $1000 (for the basic unit). Everything else I purchase will be transferred to my real house truck,on which, hopefully I can begin construction about this time next year. To give you some idea on costs,I am looking at a Xantrex 1800 watt inverter $A1800. Gas oven and 3 burner stove $A900, 100 litre 12 volt fridge $A1200, Deep cycle AGM 100 amp hour batteries $A 350 - 500. I estimate that it would cost around $A30,000 to build an 14 foot aluminium framed and panelled rig; properly fitted out with solar panels, small generator, refrigerator, hotwater etc Will definitely post some pictures of my rig and try to give some insight into the Aus non-commercial mobile living lifestyle. However, I don't think there is much happening. It seems that there is a reasonable subculture of non- commercial (or mainstream) mobile dwellers in America.

Charlie
bavo76

Hi Merlin

Post by bavo76 »

Hi there i am Darryl and i also live in Australia about 40mins from melbourne in victoria .i am currently doing up a school bus turned motorhome (homebuilt) so far so good
NOBODY HELPS ME )MY FAVOURITE SAYING
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Welcome to the neighborhood, How about some photos 8)
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
William Biffwinkle

Post by William Biffwinkle »

Welcome aboard Merlin. Years ago I lived in a 1964 Dodge Lodge cabover motorhome for 2 years. It was more to fit my lifestyle (young and partying) than necessity.

I think many of us here in the U.S. are starting to re-evaluate what it takes to live frugally. Buses a a great foundation to build a home on and I think we will be seeing more and more folks living off the grid as things get tighter financially in the world.

lookin' forward to seeing pics of your project!

Ted (AKA Biff)
You cannot make a sow's ear out of a silk purse either.....but has anyone really tried to do both?

now heer in biffwinkleville we make deep fried DEEserts outa sows ears......an thayr ain't nuthin' stoopider lookin' than'n earless pig....
Merlin

New Motorhome

Post by Merlin »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the welcome, my circumstances have changed- for the better :) I have been living rent free in a house for a couple of weeks and have until the first week of next month before I move next door to a full size house block with power and water (rent free)for a year or more. To this end I have started construction of a 4.8 x 2.4 x 2.4 (approx 16 x 8 x 8ft) plus luton peak (cab over) motorhome. By the end of this weekend I will have the outside sheeted and than will insulate the interior and than make it as livable as possible given my tight schedule. Hopefully I will be able to post some photos and provide more details over the next week. By the way, I live in Canberra -the capital of Australia.

Cheers Charlie