Call Me Johnny 'Bago!

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Dualfuel

Call Me Johnny 'Bago!

Post by Dualfuel »

Now, I realize this forum is for the more Bohemian bus and truck crowd...BUT, I just don't have time for all that finicky work, nor am I even good at it. So I bought an old Winnebago.
Please don't kick me off the forum! I saw the interior of Chuck's Crown and realized that everybody has to start somewhere. I decided not to start with a cube truck and a milk crate.
So whats important here is what I found out when I started looking at the old beaters that I could afford. You see, I started out in old school buses. I learned to drive in Jack Burl's hopped up '69 Chevy 60 passenger. That thing was fast. We'd drag race it down hwy 111 in Palm Springs. Anyhow, I was always contemptuous of motorhomes because out on the highway, the bus, would pass these things like they were standing still. I always thought that MHs were like cube vans, all sheet metal and no frame...then I looked under a 1978 Winnebago.
I was shocked to see a full frame, I beam front suspension, stabilizer bars, and 7.50X 17.5" bias ply tires. Dude, its a studio apartment stuck on a dump truck frame...
I looked at an Ithasca with a leaky roof and a stuck caliper. The caliper was my excuse for passing on the swampy interior. The generator did run and everything worked but I didn't want to start behind the 8-ball, with that wet floor. I liked how the 454 fired right up, and the THM400 was solid, but...I realized these things aren't on the road all the time and once you stop driving you have to live in it. I thought of one word...MOLD! Besides the Ithasca had a A-arm front suspension, and I have been on a few wild rides into the ditch when those ball joints give it up! So we looked at the Winnebago.
The first thing that struck me was the tall narrow front tires. Thats some old school $hit there...A bias ply tire with high pressure, tall and narrow, means gas mileage. Something long forgotten in this "new" age of SUVs with 285 X 65 X 16s (I mean who is going to the mud bog in an Escalade anyway?) So I peeked under the fender and saw those leaf springs and that massive "I" beam. I got excited right away. The kind of excitement when your gut tells you its gonna be okay, you can jump out of the helicopter...Then I noticed the entire drive train was built on a solid steel frame. The rear axle was a Dana 70. Not my favorite but serviceabe (I expect to have to run a hose and hose barb to the differential housing so I can fill it from inside the MH.)
I looked at the engine. Dunno d!ck about chryslers. Every one I have had was kinda boring. I liked everything I had from early on until the late '70s. After that I would rather not talk about how many Omnis I was seen driving (I drew the line at the K car though). So this Winnebago had a 440cid V-8. The layout was simple, no hidden sparkplugs or buried water pumps. Looked good, but I really dunno what to expect from them. I know a 454 gets 4 to 6 mpg on a good day so I figured that would be the ball park for this bugger. I crawled under and was treated to a Torqueflite 727! Twice I have repaired these transmissions in the field. A 727 is the simplest three speed I have ever seen. A Ford C-6 comes in second with the THM400 trailing in third. All these transmissions can be repaired in the field with no special tools (tire irons take off the hydraulic pumps). So seeing the 727 gave me some confidence as well.
The caveat about the gas mileage comes from looking at the vast expanse of fuel tank under the rear of the unit. It must be a hundred gallon tank. OMG! I immediatley had visions of loading this thing on the low boy and hauling it with the semi.
The guy came out to show it to us...he leapt in, shoved the key in the ignition, and without any fanfare at all, just started the engine right up. Vrooom! No Chrylser "gee gaw gee gaw gee gaw" like the ZZtop song. This thing's timing is right on the money! At that point I was in, whether I was conscious of it or not, I was done dickering as soon as that engine touched off. Oh sure the muffler is going, the smoke rolled out from underneath where the trans is leaking on the exhaust, the carb has a plugged mid-range passage, the trans has some kind of governor/tv/linkage issue going where its kinda hunting, and the brake booster isn't "boosting" enough to not scare you at a stop sign. Yes there is a list of crimes. But....
If you stick you face inside the "Home" part of this rig, its nice and dry, and you aren't assaulted by thirty years worth of a$$! It doesn't smell like mold, an ashtray, or the porta potti! Somebody please tell me why designers in the '70s persisted in covering everything with "Barf" colored shag carpeting? Even astro turf would have made more sense. I don't know if any of the "ahooterments" are working. I just knew from sitting at the table that I would easily fall asleep in the place if I got my bed arranged right. It was all I needed to know at that point.
I handed the dude $1500, grabbed the open title and hit the road.
I sticked the tank and it was full. So I decided rather then going home with it, we'd take it to my father-in-laws. I plan on using it as a base camp this summer while we scrap out the bush, and haul down to Marinette. My F-i-L is going to sell everything he owns and move into a travel trailer. He plans on going to NM. He and his wife are pack rats and they asked me to help them clean out the farm, so I figure to stay in the Winnebago while all that is going on.
So I swung the nose west and headed out of Iron Mountain heading for Florence then the back way down to Ruby's Corners.
I will tell you right now, I have become the cliche. The Winnebago blocks a whole lane of the road. It drives exactly like my dumptruck (if it had an automatic) with big top heavy load, and it wants to go 42mph. It doesn't want to go 40mph, and it won't go 45mph. I am betting you would have to throw it out of an airplane to get it going 55mph! But, at 42mph, it purrs along. Maybe "pur" is an oversimplification. Its more like a rumble, with the vacuum gauge reading 20" and the temp guage at 150F. So I just hold my foot on that spot and let it do its thing. Dude! I think it gets good mileage. I drove it 70 miles and the guage never moved off full (I did fill it to the neck just to be sure though).
So the 440 needs a slight tune up, the dash lights only illuminate the inconsequential (like the speedometer). The bizarre adjustable steering column took some getting used to. Mostly driving it is a series of corrections as the sticky king pins fight against the ruts in the pavement. You never really go off the road, but when the king pins are pointing you at the shoulder and you roll down the downhill ditch side of the ruts, forces combine and you sort of lunge at the ditch until you hit the other side of the rut. But that IS the only drama, which is amazing for a thirty two year old antique truck.
What I like is being able to just hammer the MH across railway crossings and not worry about ball joints exploding. I also like the gearing. With all the weight on the back end, I would not hesitate to take this thing off road. I could see this thing with super singles grinding its way through some serious mud, which it might do. I don't see going out west with this thing, but I do see it on the beach at Copper Harbor, or at the mouth of the Gratiot River for swimming and picnics. Keystone Bay too, now that would be some off road action.
Anyhow, we dropped it at Ruby's Corners last night then beat cheeks for Calumet last night. Natuarally I forgot the camera, so I have no pictures yet. Regardless, I thought youse would appreciate hearing about some bush league "truck-bago" action from "da UP" (can you believe we still have piles of snow?"
Later,
DF
dburt

Post by dburt »

Just think of it as a housetruck that someone copied and then made lots of them. :wink: You gotta start somewhere! If you have lots of time and some cash also, you can find the right truck and build your own, but it will take lots of time and more money then you figured on! For some folks it is easier to start with something that is a little more complete, especially when time is a tight commodity!
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

I have had vans, motorhomes, station wagons with trailers, and one bus before the bus I have now. I was lucky to have the money and a place to build the inside of my 73 Blue Bird.
If I were not in that position, I would have another regular motorhome. My last one was a class C Dodge 27 footer. It had the 440 motor. I got 6.5 mpg with it, but it would go 65mph. I am surprised yours will not go any faster. I would check that out. Mine was a three speed automatic. It weighed 10500 lbs empty. At least yours doesn't leak in the rain. Mine did, and Mold was prevalent.
I always liked those old Winnebagos.
Got love? Give love.
Dualfuel

Post by Dualfuel »

Hey Thanks,
At least I didn't get the rebuff.
I really don't care if its slow. I am very comfortable at 40mph or even a blistering 42mph.
What facinates me is getting all the different things working in it again. Its an off grid laboratory on wheels. My vision is of a $1500 motorhome with $10000 worth of panels on the roof. I want to see what the draw is on that dualfuel refrigerator, or how the water system works. I aplogize for its inelegance but I applaud the self containment. They did everything in a real small space unlike me who spreads his off grid shenanigans over 81 acres and two counties.
Are there LED 12volt bulbs that fit those sockets? How did they sound proof that Kohler single banging away in its compartment? Can you buy replacement grey water tanks? Water heater? How do you turn on the air conditioner? It looks like it has a shore power cable?
It will be hours of fun and discovery. And Rudy, I betcha betcha I can make that 440 get better then 6.5mpg. Dualfuel!
http://www.angelfire.com/ak5/energy21/woodfire.htm
Joe Camper

Post by Joe Camper »

You are bringing up many old memories with your locations, I used to sno mobile the Upper Peninsula.

I once bought a 73 Champion with a 440 and a 727 trans.

You could not keep op with it.

It would giddy-up to 70+ in a heartbeat still pulling hard when it got there.
Mark B

Post by Mark B »

Go to Winnebago's website. You can download manuals and get all kinds of parts, including your fresh/gray/black water tanks and all the plumbing goodies. Even cabinet hardware. That's the good thing about buying an old Winnebago versus other brands of motorhomes.

Mark
Granny

Post by Granny »

Dualfuel, I got to tell you, I don't know of a single person here that is going to say anything about you having a "bago". What we are going to ding you about is not showing pictures of it, and forgetting the camera. :) . Hey, they even let me join before I had a bus. So, it isn't about what you own to join this site. Congrat's on your purchase.
Dualfuel

Post by Dualfuel »

Some photos of the Winnie Bago. We spent the weekend in her two weeks ago, and will do the same this weekend... we are cleaning out my F-i-L's farm in Wisconsin.
The loot.
DF
Dualfuel

Post by Dualfuel »

The tractor shed behind the trailer is filled with garbage...this weekend we get to load it all on a trailer and take it to the dump! Yummy!
DF
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

If it's old enough (!) that saw on the trailer may not be junk...

Looks like fun pawing through stuff. <g>
splummer

Post by splummer »

johny bago, nice to see you back. i do see something of interest on the trailer tho, and what is your defination of garbage
just because you ride the bus , it doesnt make you a bus person
the bus stopped and i got on and thats how it all began
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Hopefully with that empty trailer you can bring home some great stuff from the dump :D
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
bikevision

Post by bikevision »

nice find. there is not a part on it that cant be replaced. water tanks, ac, fridge, stove, heater, water heater. i live in elkhart, home of the rv. if you need any help finding something just let me know. theres a rv salavage just down the road from me.

just last summer i junked my motorhome. a 85 27ft. windjammer. the 454 ran like a top. i pulled a 14ft. trailer packed down with my motorcycle and enough spare parts to build three, through the mt. on 75 and 77. she pulled hard and would eaisly do 70mph. i kept her at 65 and still got 8mpg.

i hate to junk her but she was beyond repair from water damage. the walls were falling off. i had to use 6" lag bolts to keep them on long enough to get her home.
Dualfuel

Post by Dualfuel »

Hey!
Would any of you know about the Winnie's wiring for the generator? Its a 1978. Uh I think its a chief...dunno for sure.
Anyhow, everything looks fine. I have it cranking over at the generator and at the driver's switch. No spark. No power to the points. I ran power to the points and got a snap, so its not the coil. I believe I am just ignorant about the motorhome's operation. I assume there is something that I am not doing that I need to. Like a low oil shut down, or maybe there is a main switch that needs to be thrown like a transfer switch. Dunno, call me duh! I never had something this sophisticated before. I thought I'd ask before I start cobbling it up.
Dual Fuel
Dualfuel

Post by Dualfuel »

Oops she says its a Brave 26rt.