Wothahellizat Web Site Updated

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

j_nigrelli

Post by j_nigrelli »

oh.... LAST march 29th!

glad that rumor has been squelched.

j
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Now It Can Be Told...

One reason that I knew that Wothahellizat was no longer for sale is revealed in the latest (and last) chronicle on Rob Gray's site.

The big Weird Off Road Truck is being torn down, cut into sections and rebuilt as a smaller rig! Rob and Chris have accepted a caretaking position for some acquaintances who own a large shop building, and began the dismantling on March 31st. Their goal is to have the work completed over the Australian winter, and before their hosts return from their own motorhome tour.

The travel chronicles will be replaced by construction diaries in the meantime, so we don't have to miss out on Rob's whit. In fact, I'm assuming that things will be even more entertaining than usual.

Anyone want to speculate on the changes to Rob's vehicle? Smaller means that some of the familiar features will have to go. Will it be the lounge? The deck? Motorbike storage? Certainly not the beer cooler....
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Wothahellizat is no more!

On April 1, Rob began demolishing his custom motorhome. As of today, the rear deck, stairs and roof have been cut off and removed. The electrical system, generator, inverter, batteries, LPG tanks and motor bike crane have all been removed also.

I have to say, this makes me feel a little weird. Rob had better have a strong second act up his sleeve in the rebuilding process!

The WORT2 diaries are on line at: http://www.robgray.com/graynomad/wothah ... /index.php
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Email message from Rob Gray:
Rob wrote:Hi Sharkey,

Yes it's been a bit sad cutting up all that work, but I keep thinking of
what we plan to do and convincing myself it's all for the best. Time will
tell I guess.

I hope to post regular updates, maybe even every day or so, we'll see how
things go and if I get enough time.

Regards
Rob
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Progress on the WORT2 has been continuing apace, and I've been enjoying doing some guessing about how the new living space will look Rob has now posted a page of plans that shows the basic layout and floor plan:

http://www.robgray.com/graynomad/wothah ... /index.php

This takes away some of my fun at guessing what is where, but also make it much easier to understand how the new rig relates to the old.

Rob tells me that he is using galvanized steel for all of the framing, and that none of the old body's materials will be reused, excepting the applinaces, fixtures, etc. He would probably sell off the old structure cheap, if anyone is interested! Anyone want to build a motorhome?
Griff
~(G)Q

Post by Griff »

SWE-E-E-ET! I can't wait to see some actual photos, looks like it's gonna be another winner! Thanks for the update!
~(G)Q Arduously Avoiding Assimilation
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

The wort2 diaries continue, http://www.robgray.com/graynomad/wothah ... /index.php It's inspiring to see high quality builds like this, much like Sharkey's crown the level of commitment & skill to build like this are way above average.
Rob appears to stuck in attack mode!
Great work, check it out.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

I've been keeping up with the construction diaries, and Rob has "officially" declared the WORT2 (still to be formally named) "DONE"!

By December, we may get a treat when Rob and Chris actually take the truck out on the road, at least to drive it back to their block of property. Nothing like a good shake-down criuse to work out the bugs in a design.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

I've been keeping an eye on the "Construction Diaries" for some news about Rob's exploits, but as it turned out the real story is back over at the "Gray Nomad Chronicals". Rob's site uses frames, and apparently, my bookmark address excludes the navigation frame, so I had to back-track a bit to discover the resumption of the travel diaries.

Anyhow, he and Chris have put a few miles on the new truck, and are waiting for the weather to improve before taking a longer trip to West Australia and points in between.

Chronicle #50

Now to put on some eerie walkabout music and fall into the travelogue...
Griff
~(G)Q

Post by Griff »

Sweet! Thanks Sharkey! 8)
~(G)Q Arduously Avoiding Assimilation
SkoolieDude

WORT

Post by SkoolieDude »

I've read Rob Gray's construction diarys for his wothahellizat beast and i must say he is one of my biggest inspirations. I've just now come across his WOT 2 and i must say, wow! Rob is a very thorough weldor/designer/inventor.. Go him!
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

For any of you wondering what the old forest gnome has been up to, Rob has been secretly updating his journals, not by posting a new editorial/chronicle, but by appending entries a week or so at a time to the end of the current running edition.

To view the most recent, you have to keep going back and view the latest entry, following the linked editorial and refreshing as necessary: http://www.robgray.com/graynomad/issues/index.php

Looks like Rob and Chris are going to be staying put on their block of land for a while, although Rob is being offered an employment position which may mean some travel. Travel and crocodile wrestling...

BTW, wondering if anyone here noticed that Rob registered for this forum and actually even posted once?
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Finally! An update!!

I was seriously thinking I would email Rob and ask him to at least post a message at the end of the last chronicle saying "And they lived happily ever after, but never traveled again".

The short report is that Rob has been building himself another motor home.

It looks like the Wotthahellizat web site has been undergoing a major revision and is hosted at a new server. I can't say that the color scheme suits me as well as the old, even though I chose shades of gray for this site. What's more annoying is that Rob has inserted some whiz-bang page code to scope the images from thumbnails into full sized images when they are clicked, and then back again when clicked a second time. All this is well and good except that it is completely broken in my browser of choice, Opera. I was only able to see the larger images in Firefox, which I consider a distant second in convenience and function to Opera. Guess it's time to cobble up a script in Proxomitron to shred up this annoying code and replace it with something more sensible. It can all be done on-the-fly with the right script and be totally transparent to the user (me).

Take some time to drop over to the Wotthahellizat web site to read the latest, and while you're there, recommend to Rob that he includes a link back to Mr. Sharkey's Busbarn and tell him to come visit in person and post some perls of wisdom in this forum. (Rob's email address is contained on his Contact page, or use his Guest Book.)
Graynomad

New site stuff

Post by Graynomad »

Hi Sharkey,

Firstly, apologies for not having a link to your site, don't know why, anyway I've fixed that.

As for the popup images I did test them on all common browsers including Opera (9.64) and they worked ok. Anyway I have in mind to change the way they work, maybe I'll have an option to just load the image's page as per the old method. I don't like the change of context when a new page is loaded just to view a photo, but at least it will work with everything and be simple.

Also when we're back on the road (in a couple of weeks) I'll probably go back to the old way of posting diary updates, ie post the entire diary when it's finished every month or so.

The good news is that there aren't any frames in the new layout so bookmarks should work properly.

We can't wait to get back on the road, this building lark is for the birds, I only do it because I can't afford to buy what I want. Two years out of my travelling life is a long time, still we love the new truck and I'm sure it was worth it.

Regards
Rob
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Rob;

I hope my dedicated fans didn't jamb up your guest book with unreasonable demands for attention!! :D

I've been mucking about on the new site and have found that on some pages the image "scope" works just fine in Opera, and on others, I just get the rotating clock face animated graphic. It seems to be the pages after Chronicle 47 or 48 that are broken. I've compared the image code and can't see a difference?? Maybe something in the page header or individual page js??

If I right click an image that won't open, copy the address, change the directory address from "thumbs_white" to "images", open the image in a new window, then go back to the original page, I can scope the image up and down. Haven't found an easier work-around yet.

I thought I was going to dislike the scoping feature, but on the older pages, I actually found that I was more likely to view most, if not all the images in the chronicle if I didn't need to open/close/switch between windows, etc.

After bumping around the site a lot in the last week or two, I see that you have several dedicated pages to other Weird Off-Road Trucks, including Joaquin Suave's mercinary van, the one with the Studebaker grafted onto the roof. The photos in the topic thread here are no longer functional, so I guess folks will have to drift over to your site to check that truck out.

Anyhow, good luck and happy travels on your upcoming trip. It will be good to travel along with you and Chris as you move forward into Spring. BTW, How's Chris' arm...? Are you still washing dishes?