1990 CROWN COACH: JUST CALL ME MOKI

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Wow Moki, What a looker she is, im getten a chubby :oops:
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
mokibrabrant

Post by mokibrabrant »

Thanks for that Mark. coming from one as knowledgeable as you this is High Praise. This Coach came from the Wenatchee School district. It was bus Number 26. According to my brother, This climate is not to Harsh. And we both know, that even if it were, the Crown is built to endure, if not transcend.

At the time I purchased this Coach, I was not looking for another I owned a quite nice Shortie, equipped with the Allison MT643 and a 427TD.........My only dissatisfaction with this 30ft All American, was of Course the Gas Mileage. I put 2200 or so miles on it last summer. And had anticipated making some changes to it to improve upon the "Mileage" factor. Standard Transmission, which would have required a bit of trickery, unless I could have found one of those old Allisons with the "electric" clutch. Change out the Exhaust to Dual, with 4" Exhaust......and gone to EFI............Seen how this set-up worked.........make further improvements if needed later. Headers...........Ram Induction..........maybe axle ratio change. Great Little Bus.

Anyway got home from my trip, and as is my Fashion, Passion, Neurosis, I go looking through Ebay and see this Coach.........What struck me initially was the factory tint..........the late model..........and the original mileage. I have always had a soft spot for the Crown since I had become school bus Certified in my Younger days, and learned on a Crown 10 spd. Just so smooth, so quiet, and so controlled..............Any way I was pretty drained of cash from my one month journey.........and simply clicked on to the next page.

A couple days later, checked back just to see what was happening, started reading again about Crowns, read about the NT855, it was 40ft, a little longer than I liked...........But damn it looked Nice. Long story short, I liquidated a bunch of stuff real quick........and I was in the bidding. By the time the final minutes of the Auction came around, I slammed a bid in the last 15 seconds that was about three grand above my winning Bid for the Crown.

The rest is History. I had a lot of trepidation as this is my first real Diesel. I tried to learn as much as I could before leaving form my trip. Fortunately, included, and this was one of those little factors that fed my Want, this Crown was accompanied by the Operators Manuals, the Parts Manuals and Maintenance Manuals. About 28lbs worth.

When I left Hawaii, to lay eyes on this Coach for the first time, I had already pretty much decided, that if I sensed, smelled, heard, felt, anything at all that might present a problem; I would save the Maiden Voyage of Moki for another time, rent a car, and play it save and enjoy my Vacation. In fact I was leaning in this direction and I brought my most discerning and cynical eye to our first meeting. I couldn't discover anything. I rotated the isolator from the off position, turned the key and Moki fired up on the second turn of the flywheel.......and purred to Life.

The Final Word after an hour with Moki......was this trip is a go.....No reward without risk...........The final word, after two weeks of simply flawless performance..............I can't imagine how I could have been any more impressed had this Coach come off the Assembly line Yesterday.

Needless to say, since my return to Hawaii, virtually all my "spare" energy has been about Where to go and what to do in terms of fulfilling my vision for myself and this Coach. I have established one parameter I am fairly firm with: I will not be cutting holes for vents, stoves, blah blah blah, or in any way denigrate or molest the intrinsic Coach work....Yes the Seats are now all gone. Yes it will receive a nice paint..........and I may just Chrome out those Bumpers...........Alcoa's.....probably. Bamboo floors, assuredly............But I will not desecrate or diminish what is intrinsically Crown. That's my think..............I have no intention of it being a museum piece........as rare as it is. I want it to be Alive, present, and prescient. Any and every modification I make I want to be minimalist, and done with the same fit, finish, and function that are the heart of the legacy of Crown.............Moki should become nothing that would degrade or diminish that Spirit. Esoteric, I know, but that's how I Roll...
I could go on to the detriment of what I have already said.........So I'll Chill for the moment............Again Mark...........much respect........Aloha........Moki................Brant[/u]
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Moki, Are you an English professor on the side?
Got love? Give love.
mokibrabrant

Post by mokibrabrant »

I am not professorial, nor do I do anything on the side: it's all the way it is and out front.........Like to say what I can the best I can; it's more fun for me that way. Or I'd rather quietly observe.........and that works for me as well. Ain't looking for the light in anyone's eyes. I'm not looking to steal than glint as well. thanks Rudy.