This may be my rolling summer place

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Granny

Post by Granny »

I'm sorry about that Dennis. Just a thought: did you try standing up in one of those?
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Dennis,

Sorry you missed out on that one.

If you see another one, try to send a refundable deposit in advance. Tell them that if you see it as they describe it, then you want it.
Then when you see it if it wasn't described correctly, you can back out or work on a lower price.
Using this method has been very helpful for me.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Hmm, sounds good to me
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Here's an oldie but the guy says it's in real good shape. Do any of you guys or "girl" know the 7.5 Liter 460 V8 Gas Motor? with a little over 5k on it it could have a long life for me. Any feedback gang?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0606869061
Peace along the way
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Before their 10 cylinder Triton engine, the 460 was Ford's biggest motor. The 460 is very common in many motorhomes. In days gone by, the 429 Ford motor was very popular. It had more power than the 460. That wheelchair truck is not too heavy. You may be able to get 10 MPG.
Being a 1 ton chassis, it should be smog exempt. I am a little concerned about this photo. Is the outside tire flat?

Last edited by Rudy on Sat May 22, 2010 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Got love? Give love.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Hmm, Sounds good. Im looking for a good strong small rig to live in while im working on this side of the island so the gas mileage is not a big deal and because im not paying to live I have money for gas. But if im going blow 5 grand or so on this thing I'd like to last, it's pretty old even with loooow miles on it.

PS: Everyone I talk to says to stay away from the V10
Peace along the way
Granny

Post by Granny »

Dennis, keep in mind I am not a mechanic, and have made no claims to being one. I have however, owned two different Ford pickups with the 460 engine. The best mileage I ever got out of either of them was about 7 or 8. It sucked big time. I had lots of power, I won't dispute that. My first 460 was an engine I had put into a pickup that I had totally restored. The original engine was a 300-6 cylinder. I had that removed the third time the number 6 piston went out. I had my mechanic find a used 460, he tore it clear down and built it up from scratch for me. That was a much better engine than the second 460 I owned. However, 4 years after putting all that expense into restoring the whole pickup, I totalled it. I had a pull choke on it, and loved it, just not the mileage. The replacement pickup I got had a 460, auto choke, and a bad carburetor. It had barely 100,000 miles on it when I bought it. That engine was nothing but trouble for me because I never replaced the carburetor like I should have. I got a crappy 5 miles to the gallon out of it on a good day with no load on level ground or down hill. Pulling a load of any kind, I was reduced to about 4. Those engines are not my "choice". I lost my love for them after my experiences. I now own the powerstroke diesel, and get close to 20 mpg. I would suggest, if the price is right, check into have the engine replaced with a good diesel engine. My ranger has a 4.0L 6cylinder gas engine that I adore and it has plenty of power, gets 20 mpg., used to pull my ski boat up the really steap hill coming from the lake, pulled my stock trailer a couple of times (loaded). Just a few of my experiences with different Ford engines. This "died in the wool" Ford fan says stay away from the 460's.
Again, all of that being said, I guess it has alot to do with how much you plan to drive it. It does have really low miles, appears to be in good shape. And, you can put a little money into it, with what you are saving on buying it at that price. And, you can afford to do something with the carburetor if it were to need it.
rlaggren

Good Ford info

Post by rlaggren »

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php

You've got a couple days. Maybe try the "general" forum or poke through the pile and find the "Other" forum. Could get info on the running gear, maybe why that tire looks peculiar; probably wouldn't get much feedback on the body though.

Re> vans: I have an 86 Ford van. The engine service in a van can be a real and serious pain. Stuff like filters and PLUGS can take hours to remove the pieces to gain access; pulling the doghouse doesn't always help much.

Might want to ask about the body structure under that vehicle. If it stayed on the reservation, maybe it didn't get salted, otherwise... The frame is pretty beefy but, but the floor and brake lines and stuff might have suffered. It's pretty chancy buying w/out being able to kick the tires. Why did he post tha particular picture, do you think?

FWIW. Rufus
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Dennis, if you are thinking about keeping this machine for a long time, Granny is right about having a diesel engine in that bus thing. If it's going to be a work truck, keep the 460 and drive it 'til it dies. If you get five years as a work truck with the gas guzzling 460, just amortize the cost of the truck over that span and it is reasonable. Forget not, though, my friend, the MPG that Ginger mentioned. That is an important calculation.
Got love? Give love.
Tim Clevenger

Post by Tim Clevenger »

I agree with Granny. I had an F250 with the 460, and I got 9-10 mpg empty. I can't imagine one of those hauling a bus around.

Remember that the diesel may cost more, but it'll use less fuel, the fuel will last longer in the tank without going bad and you'll sell it for more, too.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Yep, I really want the 7.3 deisel,maybe I'll just have to wait it out. Im sure another good one will pop up soon.
Peace along the way
TMAX
Officer Hormel

Post by TMAX »

In the latter part of 2007 my wife (Carin) and I got the experience of moving my father-in-law (Bob) from South Central / West Oregon to Los Angeles. This wound up being 6 trips, the last 3 with trucks rented from U-Haul. All were 17 footers (the largest that would fit down our driveway). All were Fords with what I think were the largest V-8 and V-10 engines they had to offer at the time (V-8 = 460, V-10 = I'm not sure). The first 2 were the V-8 versions and got about 10 to 11 mpg both without and with towing a vehicle (2000 Toyota Tacoma pickup truck). The last (a V-10) averaged about 9 to 10 mpg towing a Geo Metro. The V-10 seemed to work harder going up the hills. Where the V-10 shined was when the truck had no load whatsoever, at that time it accelerated like a sports car. Don't know if this sheds any light on the subject, but this was our experience.

TMAX
Granny

Post by Granny »

http://huntsville.craigslist.org/cto/1746353537.html
Here's one I found on craigslist a little closer to you.
Here's another:
http://southjersey.craigslist.org/pts/1751926019.html Can't tell what this one is for sure, as they don't say enough about it.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

I bid 10 grand on this one but it still didn't reach the reserve. I may go a little higher but not much. It's in pretty nice shape though.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... :MEBIDX:IT
Peace along the way
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

That's a great one Ginger, A little old but a great. Hmm, Kind of like me 8)
Granny wrote:http://huntsville.craigslist.org/cto/1746353537.html
Here's one I found on craigslist a little closer to you.
Here's another:
http://southjersey.craigslist.org/pts/1751926019.html Can't tell what this one is for sure, as they don't say enough about it.
Peace along the way