This may be my rolling summer place

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

After a night of rest I've decided I can't really go any higher then the 10 grand. If it was dawn here and I could go check it out and take it for a ride that would be another story. I did find this that has just been listed. Im gonna keep an eye on for a while and see where it goes.

Dennis The Bus Dweller wrote:I bid 10 grand on this one but it still didn't reach the reserve. I may go a little higher but not much. It's in pretty nice shape though.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... :MEBIDX:IT
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... :MEBIDX:IT
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
wstcstslider

Post by wstcstslider »

That looks like a pretty nice rig Dennis.

I also have to agree that you want a diesel. My shed truck has a 460 with a 4-spd. It has LOTS of power but gets terrible mileage. My daily driver has the 7.3l powerstroke. The 7.3l could out pull the 460 and it gets twice the mileage. Be sure to get something 1994.5 or newer. The 7.3l diesel before 1994.5 wasn't the powerstroke. It had no turbo and didn't get near the fuel economy.

I also noticed the rigs you are looking at are automatics. The powerstroke is known for eating automatic transmissions. They usually go between 100k and 150k miles. One thing to look for would be an aftermarket transmission fluid cooler installed. If it is the original tranny with the original tranny cooler there is a good change you will be rebuilding a tranny by 100k miles.

The manual transmission holds up very well. I think there more fun to drive too. More control.

If you are willing to spend up to $10k you should be able to find a really nice one. The market for large vehicles is struggling and the price has been dropping.

Have you been checking craigslist? That's where I usually find my good deals.
wstcstslider

Post by wstcstslider »

Have you talked to this guy?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/ctd/1754411014.html

The mileage is a little high but at that price you would have money left for repairs if needed.

At 250k miles the engine should still be in very good shape. Steering and suspension would be the things to look closely at. But with 12 to choose from you should be able to find a couple that are still pretty tight.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Craigslist hasn't come through this time around.
wstcstslider wrote:That looks like a pretty nice rig Dennis.

I also have to agree that you want a diesel. My shed truck has a 460 with a 4-spd. It has LOTS of power but gets terrible mileage. My daily driver has the 7.3l powerstroke. The 7.3l could out pull the 460 and it gets twice the mileage. Be sure to get something 1994.5 or newer. The 7.3l diesel before 1994.5 wasn't the powerstroke. It had no turbo and didn't get near the fuel economy.

I also noticed the rigs you are looking at are automatics. The powerstroke is known for eating automatic transmissions. They usually go between 100k and 150k miles. One thing to look for would be an aftermarket transmission fluid cooler installed. If it is the original tranny with the original tranny cooler there is a good change you will be rebuilding a tranny by 100k miles.

The manual transmission holds up very well. I think there more fun to drive too. More control.

If you are willing to spend up to $10k you should be able to find a really nice one. The market for large vehicles is struggling and the price has been dropping.

Have you been checking craigslist? That's where I usually find my good deals.
Peace along the way
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Well, If it doesn't go any higher this may very well be my summer bunglow 8)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... EBIDX%3AIT
Peace along the way
splummer

Post by splummer »

dennis good luck on that one .that 58 sure is a classy looking bus, hope you get it, keep us posted
just because you ride the bus , it doesnt make you a bus person
the bus stopped and i got on and thats how it all began
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Jones'n4chrome wrote:Dennis,

Are you set on a shuttle bus?

http://wilmington.craigslist.org/cto/1700970702.html
1999 FREIGHTLINER MT45 STEPVAN, 5.9 ISB 24 VALVE CUMMINS, ALLISON AT542 AUTO TRANS WITH AUTO PARK, 19.5 LOW PRO TIRES- FRONTS ABOUT 80% OR BETTER REARS ARE AT 50% OR SO, 4 WHEEL DISC BRAKES, PADS ARE AT LEAST 75% IF NOT BETTER. 17' OF CARGO SPACE BEHIND BULKHEAD, ALL ALUMINUM BODY EXCEPT THE ROOF WHICH IS FIBERGLASS. TRUCK RUNS BUT NEEDS INJECTION PUMP WORK. I CAN HAUL THIS FOR YOU UP TO 300 MILES ONE WAY FOR $1.25 A LOADED MILE. YOU CAN CALL ME DURING THE DAY UNTIL 8 PM AT 910 540 9166 910 540 9166. $1500 OR BEST OFFER

Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Dennis The Bus Dweller wrote:Well, If it doesn't go any higher this may very well be my summer bunglow 8)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... EBIDX%3AIT
Here are some pics.

Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

This guy said the magic words in the first sentence...."Need money fast" :D

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/1750291844.html

I need money fast and am selling some of our "toys".
This bus was bought for youth trips and a ministry that we started. It is nice and plush and runs good. It does have high miles but is a diesel engine. It has dually wheels in the back and is really a nice bus for any church or group that wants to be able to travel together. Seats about 24. Individual reclining seats. Willing to take reasonable offers.

splummer

Post by splummer »

need money fast,haha, not sure thats what you want to advertise when you need money fast
just because you ride the bus , it doesnt make you a bus person
the bus stopped and i got on and thats how it all began
yoeddynz

Post by yoeddynz »

i love that freightliner step van. It sort of reminds me of the 1999 24' iveco parcel force courier van i built into my home for 2.5 years over in the uk before we got the bedford. Thats what i'd go for- price is good even if it needs some engine work. Your trucks and buses seem much cheaper than in nz. What about japanese trucks ? Are they cheap over there? If you want good mileage and reliability thats where i'd be looking.
Alex.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Well gang I need a transport Co. quick :shock: Do any of you guys have any favorites? The bus is in Topeka, Kansas. Unless one of you guys want to drive it here to NY and I’ll pay you for the ride and fly you back home.
Peace along the way
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Dennis The Bus Dweller wrote:Well gang I need a transport Co. quick :shock: Do any of you guys have any favorites? The bus is in Topeka, Kansas. Unless one of you guys want to drive it here to NY and I’ll pay you for the ride and fly you back home.
Transport Co.?...I hope you're kidding.
Because of it's size, that bus would be considered heavy equipment and transporting it would be VERY expensive. It would most likely need to go on a lowboy, maybe even a double drop.
To haul that bus about 1200 miles, it would not surprize me if the quotes are around 5 grand.

If it were me, I would try to go get it myself, that way you could inspect it very carefully before paying for it.
If that is not possible, see if you could pay the seller to deliver it to you. No one knows the bus better than the seller at this point.
If the seller can't do it, and you have to pay someone to drive it, try to get a driver that can check it out real good for you.

Good score, it seems to be a pretty nice bus.

Chuck
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Hey Dennis,
Here is smaller summer home. It's ready to move in...just tone down the paint a little bit.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/1738798421.html

2002 e 450 ford frame cab /1994 swab ambulance body 57000 miles good shape upgraded to new ambulance must sell /chefharley@verizon.net