This may be my rolling summer place

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Jones,
Old gas - I have been using an oil called Opti 2 in the two cycles for several years, and it appears to add quite a bit to gas life. Mostly run it mixed for an old chain saw I have that gets about 3 uses per year. Have gone 18 months with the same gas.

They make lots of claims, but the chain saw seems to like it.
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Dennis,
That bus is gorgeous - even if it isn't strictly a school bus. Congratulations!

You really ought to try to come and get it yourself - nice little visit to God's Country! Or Kansas, at least.

And plan to spend a few days - it is high season for tornadoes!!! You could do some righteous storm chasing in that thing!
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Hi Stelth

I backed out of that bus cuz I cme to find out the pics he poste on ebay were from feb of 07 and when I asked him in the begaining he told me they were a couple of months old. I really like that rig to but he liad.
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Dennis The Bus Dweller wrote:Hi Stelth

I backed out of that bus cuz I cme to find out the pics he poste on ebay were from feb of 07 and when I asked him in the begaining he told me they were a couple of months old. I really like that rig to but he liad.
Yeah, So what else did he lie about?
One thing that made me leary about the Ebay listing, was that there were no photos of the engine, and it looks like grease smudges on the rear of the bus.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Thats just what I was thinking so I started looking around in the pic files ay GMC bus nuts and found the same pic marked 2/07 and knew then the guy couldn't be trusted. Im back to looking for a low miles Ford 7.3 shuttle.
Peace along the way
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Sad. The looks were great in 07.
Granny

Post by Granny »

http://bend.craigslist.org/rvs/1767084927.html
Here's one for you to check out!
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

Sorry I am jumping into this discussion so late.

Here is my two cents (and it is worth about two cents).

If you are wanting to convert a bus into a home, temporary or otherwise, stay away from any shuttle bus. And if it has a tag axle, don't walk but run as fast as you can away from it.

My reasons:
1. The empty weight of almost all of the small cut-away chassis buses is almost the GVWR of the chassis. As a consequence you go through tires like they were free, you go through brakes as often as you change the oil, and if it has the Ford E4OD transmission you will be changing transmissions more often than you change tires.
2. The composite body doesn't lend itself to changes very well.
3. The marriage between the cut-away chassis and composite body usually ends up in a bitter divorce, usually preceded by a lot of water leakage.
4. There is vitually no under floor area for storage or tanks.

The reason why there are so many relatively new cut-away chassis buses for sale is anyone who operates them for profit send them down the road as soon as the warranty is over.

Because I didn't know any better I tried to run a bus company and the first buses I purchased were Ford E-350 chassis cut-away buses. Of the three running buses I purchased I put in seven transmissions--the longest any transmission lasted was 42K miles and the least was 12K miles.

All had the 7.3L engine and the best fuel mileage was 12 MPG with an average a little over 10 MPG.

I borrowed a friends cut-away bus that had a 460 in it when one of my 7.3's was down for transmission problems. Fuel use was more than twice as much as the 7.3's.

For the price, the bus that Granny just suggested sounds like a great choice. Certainly it would be better than any cut-away.

Good luck and happy trails.

Mark O.
Winlock, WA

PS I have several buses, all full size diesel, that have to be sold are sent to scrap. I am a motivated seller. MRO
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Hi Mark

Drop me some pics and some facts about the buses
Peace along the way
Granny

Post by Granny »

Granny wrote:http://bend.craigslist.org/rvs/1767084927.html
Here's one for you to check out!
Dennis, I could make arrangements to go see this one in person for you, if you are interested. I could take photos and listen to it, and maybe even take it for a test drive, if you are interested. Get back to me asap, so I know what to do. If you want, pm me your phone #, and you could listen to it running via the phone.
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Hi Dennis,

For all practical purposes, purchasing a bus from me wouldn't make any financial sense. The cost of transporting the bus from here to where you are would make a much newer bus close by more affordable. By the time you came out here to get the bus, purchase the bus, and transport the bus back home you would be on the hook for over $3K and still have to convert the bus.

I think a bus like the one Granny found would be a better bet.

For one thing, it is already converted.

Second, an MC-5 is a pretty good platform on which to build a home.

Third, with an 8V-71 an MC-5 will scoot right along, better than any school bus except for a Crown or Gillig with a big cam Cummins.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

I already have a full size one so that 4104 or smaller is kind of what im looking for
Peace along the way
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

As you look at the smaller buses make sure you look at the GVWR and how much the empty bus weighs.

If the empty weight is like a lot of cut-away buses and stick/staple RV's, it will be 90% or more of the GVWR.

You really don't want one of those vehicles.
Granny

Post by Granny »

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/1780788190.html
Here's a little one.
And, here is another:
http://maine.craigslist.org/rvs/1761403926.html
And, here's yet another. This is like what you originally thought you wanted. Have a look and see.
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/ ... 62337.html
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

I really like that one in Philly.

1987 Ford diesel mini bus 16 passenger,clean,runs strong.88000 miles 215-219-9716 Joe.

Got love? Give love.