This may be my rolling summer place

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

This may be my rolling summer place

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

1994 Ford shuttle with a 7.5 gas engine and it only has 27000 miles for $4500.00 and $1800.00 for a 5 year 150,000 mile warranty with $100.00 deductable. All and all it seem like a great deal.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Granny

Post by Granny »

Yay Dennis, looks like you found one. What kind of fuel mileage is it supposed to get? It looks nice.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Well, I think im gonna gonna go ahead with. Im gonna try to pick it up on wed
Peace along the way
longjohn

Post by longjohn »

Dennis,
nice bus ! are you going to make a camper or ? i like the idea of the extended warr. the price that you stated sounds like a good deal good luck on your new home/ride, pics pics :)
Take a Child Camping and they will have fun
But take a child Campin,
And they will always cherish,
The memory!!!

Campin,Campin,Campin
Granny

Post by Granny »

Alright then, does this mean you're going to be doing some "mobile" type of stuff this summer? 8) I know you've been talking about it. Best wishes with your purchase.
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Dennis,

If that one doesn't pan out, here is another option.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/1718518479.html
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Hey, do any of you guys know how to get temp tags and how they work? Do I need to get insurance on the shuttle just for the ride home?
Peace along the way
Griff
~(G)Q

Post by Griff »

When I picked mine up in MA to bring back to NC:

The state of NC allowed me to use my "daily driver" plates to bring TWE back. My Allstate guy filled out all the paper work to cover me for the trip just in case, (left on a Friday, got back on Sunday) but he didn't forward it.

When I got back safe and sound Sunday, I called him and he shredded the papers and it didn't cost me a thing. (Of course, I've been with Allstate since I was 16, and with this particular agent for about 15 yrs with no accidents/incidents.)

Not sure how NY works, but they might be able to issue a temp tag with the VIN and your insurance agent's paper work for proof of insurance...or...get the VIN and line up the insurance with your agent (preflight), and you may be able to get a temp tag wherever you are picking up the vehicle from. HTH!
~(G)Q Arduously Avoiding Assimilation
Granny

Post by Granny »

I had to insure mine first. I also picked up a temp for the window, from the state I reside in before going to another state to pick up the bus. I carry a CDL though, and didn't want to take any chances with my license if I were to be stopped, for not having proof of insurance. My regular auto insurance protects me for 30 days if I buy a new vehicle, but the bus didn't work under that.
Dualfuel

Post by Dualfuel »

Dennis,
In Mich, I can either call my agent or transfer a binder to a new vehicle via the internet. If I do it via internet I can print out a binder to take with on the journey. We did that last summer. We were given a Buick in Wisconsin. We transfered a binder to the buick via the wireless internet at the hotel. We got a signed title from the owner and drove home with aplomb.
In Mich, you can take up to three days to drive from A to B with no plates as long as you have the signed title (and of course they like insurance too).

For giggles, here is how I got back from Cali in '82....I bought a titleless '64 Dodge 3/4 ton with expired Washington tags in DHS. I had no insurance, but got a California Temporary (red tag) and drove it 2400 miles across the US from Palm Springs to Michigan at 45mph and 3 pounds oil pressure. Not one cop stopped me. Although one did help me push the truck down an on ramp in Kansas after the battery died and I replaced the alternator. I had $200 sacked up in pennies to pay for the gas. Thats how that cheap skate Lee Vanocer paid me (what a d$ck!).

DF
Griff
~(G)Q

Post by Griff »

Dualfuel wrote:...We got a signed title from the owner and drove home with aplomb...
I thought it was a Buick... :lol:
~(G)Q Arduously Avoiding Assimilation
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Dennis The Bus Dweller wrote:Hey, do any of you guys know how to get temp tags and how they work? Do I need to get insurance on the shuttle just for the ride home?
Dennis,

Terminology is key.
It is best to know what you want, so you will have the answers you will need. Because most likely they won't know what you need.

If you go to the the DMV and ask for "temp tags" or anything with the word "tag" or "registration" they will try to start the registration process on your new vehicle. You don't want that at this point because it will force them handle it as a bus, not as a motorhome.
The term to use is "temporary trip permit" it alludes to the fact that, hey this guy is "just your basic longhair" trying to move his junk. :D
Tell them you need to get it to the place that will be converting it to a motorhome (you), when it is finished you will register it as a motorhome, and it will not be driven on the highway until then.

The last trip permit got cost $16.00 they filled it out on the computer and gave it to me. In the old days, they would take your money, then give you a blank permit.This is good if you are not sure how long you will be on the road, as you can fill it out yourself, but leave the date blank. if you end up leaving 3 days late it will still be good when you leave. When I get them like that, I clip the pen to the permit and leave it on the seat next to me, then if I get pulled over i add the date before the cops get to the window.
When you go to get the permit, they will ask you for proof of insurance, my Insurance company insures me in anything I buy for up to 30 days. Check to make sure it is the same with yours though.

The diesel bus you posted on chat looks like the best deal to me, but I am sick of gas going bad in anything I don't drive for a month or more.
As far as the extended warranty, be careful, often times they don't really cover what they claim to cover. One of my brothers was a service writer for Dodge, he said he would never buy a extended warranty on a vehicle. Just be careful if you do, the fine print is a killer.
Good luck on your trip. Keep us posted.

Chuck
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Thanks for to good info chuck, Im gonna look at the diesel first, 7.3 turbo with 41000 on it even for 10 grand is a pretty good deaal. Im goin tomorrow.
Peace along the way
longjohn

Post by longjohn »

The diesel bus you posted on chat looks like the best deal to me, but I am sick of gas going bad in anything I don't drive for a month or more.
As far as the extended warranty, be careful, often times they don't really cover what they claim to cover. One of my brothers was a service writer for Dodge, he said he would never buy a extended warranty on a vehicle. Just be careful if you do, the fine print is a killer.
Good luck on your trip. Keep us posted.

Chuck[/quote]
Dennis,
i agree with chuck here about the ext warr, national brand companys ie wynns and other are usaully ok, big three dealers most time have their own,but not always, example, we moved to wash dc area and my son and i both bought ford from the same dealer with ext warr, Easy Care thru a company named Apco(which was owned wholly by ford) back here at home `146 miles away the ford dealers use Esp for ext warr which is also ford It took almost an act of congress to get them to honor ford -owned company ext warr one thing i have found is keeping good records, its hard for them to deny written proof........... good luck just my .02
Take a Child Camping and they will have fun
But take a child Campin,
And they will always cherish,
The memory!!!

Campin,Campin,Campin
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

The diesel rig sold today, that was a great one. I don't think there is a line around the block of people to buy the gas one so im gonna look for another good low miles diesel for another week. That 2003 was a nice one though :cry:
Peace along the way