Our NZ housetruck build thread...

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

yoeddynz

Our NZ housetruck build thread...

Post by yoeddynz »

Me and Hannah are building another housetruck. Its our 5th vehicle and 3rd housetruck but will be the biggest yet for us. Very exciting as its going to have lots of ideas we have come up with over the last ten years. We have had some recent setbacks but we'll get there!

Anyway heres a link you can click on- I add to this thread often so check it out once in a while for updates if it interests you all.

http://www.oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewto ... 17&t=21684

I will be most likely to be on here asking some questions!!! Everyday is a school day!!!!

alex
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Wow, Great rig
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Alex,

Very nice truck!!
Thanks for sharing it with us. I like the photo of the cats too.

Chuck
splummer

Post by splummer »

alex very cool, i like what your doing there . thanks for sharing ,if time allows come join us in the chat room
just because you ride the bus , it doesnt make you a bus person
the bus stopped and i got on and thats how it all began
yoeddynz

Post by yoeddynz »

cheers. i'm sure i'll pop by with qustions!

Our main inspiration are the trucks from the northwest. We study our two books- some turtles have nice shells and rolling homes- whilst having a strong coffee or perhaps inhaling nature 8)

I wish we had more money for full cedar cladding but we also have to watch our weight limit as its a big surface area to cover!

alex
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Nice build Alex , try to keep it on a 7 ton ticket , it is a large jump in fee to 8 ton RUC.
58 Bedford House
longjohn

Post by longjohn »

Alex,
nice build ,man you have got a God given gift, your fabrication skills are awesome!!!!!!!
Take a Child Camping and they will have fun
But take a child Campin,
And they will always cherish,
The memory!!!

Campin,Campin,Campin
dburt

Post by dburt »

I like your windows, layout, shucks- I like your whole truck! :)

I'm anxious (as I am sure you are too :wink: ) to see it done!
yoeddynz

Post by yoeddynz »

cheer people!

Dusty- I'm afraid for us that it will be heavier than 7 tonne! But if we can keep it under ten tonne that avoids another big jump!

We dont plan on doing lots of miles - just being able to move every so often from town to town will be great. Next stop once its done will be Queenstown for a year or so :)

We are so desperate to get it finished but fully aware not to rush it as we dont plan on having to build yet another one for a long time!!!! We want our own home again!
We just got an amazing deal on stainless woodscrews from my cousin- 1600 of the little buggers for the outside.
Today we scored some really nice treated pine battens we will stain a dark colour to contrast with the hardwood ply. Its such a shame to lose the lovely pine cladding but its just not drying out and will be only grief for the future. This new cladding we are planning will make it feel much cosier and future proof! If we put in some effort it will look great. shame about the time lost on the pine though. At least our mistake others can learn from.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Alex, You and Hannah are indeed gifted with vision and skill. What a beautiful housetruck. Take lots of photos. Thanks for sharing them with us. Rudy
Got love? Give love.
yoeddynz

Post by yoeddynz »

Cheers Rudy,
I just had a look at your bus- is that a V8 diesel? hmmmm v8's! lovely.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Alex, The motor in my bus is a Caterpillar 1106 diesel. It is not the best motor out there, but it is not the worst. It starts right up and doesn't smoke. Even though it is 37 years old, it still has some life left in it. Yes, it is an eight cylinder.
Got love? Give love.
GoodClue

Your build ...

Post by GoodClue »

Excellent!!!
Gotta have skylights, have one over my bed, nothing better ... and love your slide outs ... have thought about them on my old bus ... maybe, if I get a base I'll redesign and add them. Now I'm just happy living in it. Am designing the rear porch, but getting caught up in getting my old R75/5 back on the road ... designing a fold out camper for the sidehack ... much cheaper for travelling ...
Good work, and nice to see your lady and pets involved. Keep the photos coming. Peace, GoodClue
"ya gotta have art ..."
yoeddynz

Post by yoeddynz »

Righto peoples - I'm just gonna copy and paste what I'm posting up on oldschoolnz and retro rides onto here for ya all to see

Not much done on outside. We went to Christchurch and picked up 22 sheets of 5.5mm marine grade ply plus some cedar for cappings. Oh and also a visit to Musgrove's to sift through all the reclaimed timber. Got some great Rimu and Miro for our door frame. The piece of Miro has the most amazing patterns I have ever seen in wood. Beautiful!

I will put up a picture.

So over the last few days we have been doing some work on the inside. As soon as the rain stops we'll start putting up the ply.

Finishing the bedroom floor- some insulation. Insulation everywhere - this is important!

stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

More updates have been added http://www.oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewto ... a&start=40

Really looking good now.