Considering a bus /camper / mobile home

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

kb2iaw

Post by kb2iaw »

First id like to say hello to every here ,iv been lurking in the shadows for some time ,and happy to say i learned a few things . ( a little background )
Retired and living in a frame house on a mountainside in the western catskill mountains ...called the leather stocking district of N.Y.S. ..Formely from L.I.N.Y. " hello dennis i may know you from the island ...a least you look familiar .
The story, im looking into a motor home /camper ..."were retired " the one i saw localy http://oneonta.craigslist.org/rvs/1762227955.html has a 454 engine ...i have no clue what i can expect from it ??? im hoping someone who has had some knowledge with this sort of thing can give me a clue ...
I also had considered a conversion bus that i may do my self ...but now in my 70`s ...im not so sure i can do it all ..my fera is starting something i cant finish and loseing two or three years before i can enjoy the road trips
http://oneonta.craigslist.org/rvs/1759738307.html This is another i am considering ...Any comments would of coarse be gratfully appreaciated .. :?:
56farmerjohn

considering abus/camper/mobile home

Post by 56farmerjohn »

Howdy, those two models are what is sometimes called "stick and staple " R.V.s, ..... You might try craigslist minneapolis/st. paul, seems to be an absolute mother-lode for bus conversions... You might also consider a "short bus" model as an easier alternative conversion...
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

The Allegro looks like it is in good shape. It is shorter than the Mallard, making it easier to park. I have had a few (sticks and staples) motorhomes. The flat roof of those machines are prone to leaking. If you are just wanting to tour around in it, I would get one of those that you posted. If you want to live in it full time, you may want to consider a bus conversion. They are much stronger built.
That is a good price on both of the units you posted. Converting a bus is a long and expensive project. I have the 1973 Blue Bird posted on the Bus Barn forum. I have put LOTS of money and time in to it, and it is still not finished.
If I were you, I would get something that was already finished, and enjoy the camping life.
Got love? Give love.
longjohn

Post by longjohn »

Hi there!, I agree with Rudy , however the tiffin seem in better shape to me. with 35 k ( if its true mileage) can not be hurt at this stage in life , grab one hit the road and enjoy, also if the owners want to sell they should not have a problem with your mechanic/ shop checking the mh out..............enjoy
Take a Child Camping and they will have fun
But take a child Campin,
And they will always cherish,
The memory!!!

Campin,Campin,Campin
longjohn

Post by longjohn »

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:52 pm Post subject:
Hi there!, I agree with Rudy , however the tiffin seem in better shape to me.

I meant to say the mallard , due to low milage :oops:
Take a Child Camping and they will have fun
But take a child Campin,
And they will always cherish,
The memory!!!

Campin,Campin,Campin
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

longjohn wrote:PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:52 pm Post subject:
Hi there!, I agree with Rudy , however the tiffin seem in better shape to me.

I meant to say the mallard , due to low milage :oops:
Sometimes those low miles can lie about the condition of a vehicle. It's not good for a vehicle to sit unused for a long time. If all those miles were accumulated in the first year and a half, then it sat in one spot until now, then I would be leary of it, but if the other one has been used on a regular basis, then I would consider the fact that the owner has maintained it, and knows more about it then the owner of the first one...I don't know? that's just how I think about things.

Chuck
kb2iaw

Post by kb2iaw »

Thanks for the responce to date : I appreciate your thoughts and comments , As of today i have had no replys to my contact on either one of these two vechiles . I may have missed the boat on them .( maybe not meant to be ) I will lurk here and learn more , the fourm and your expierance expressed here interest me . I hope you dont mind a question or two from time to time . I am a bit curious about where you may be parking these things and rents or fees ???and mailings and utilites ?? I have a lot to consider ..many many thanks . " kb2iaw " are amatuer radio call sign .
graydawg

CAMPING FEES AND OTHER ITEMS

Post by graydawg »

I am renting a spot in a RV campground for $325 a month which includes electric, water, and sewage in a small town south of shreveport,La there are old mobil home parks everywhere that will rent you a space to park and they vary widely in price, according to the local economy and whats nearby some even have washaterias on site. you can supply your own utilities cheaper if you are going to park for a while, but if you are just passing thru it is easier to just plug in to the parks power and pay the fiddler, you will not be able to burn $150 in electricity in a normal rv a month, as far as mail goes rent a po box to insure you get your mail and no one looks through it before you get a chance to. there are state parks wherever you go also but they usually have a time limit of a few days to a few months to stay, but if you catch them in their slow season they are allot more hospitable and reasonable in price, when you travel into a new state stop at the rest areas they will have brochures and will allot of times have coupons to save you money where you may want to wander. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO ENJOY YOUR TRAVELS AND BE SAFE, DON'T ANSWER THE DOOR JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE KNOCKS ON IT. and BE PREPARED GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN YOU DESERVE IT GRAYDAWG