Parking without parking

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

kandigurl

Parking without parking

Post by kandigurl »

Hi, I'm new to this forum but not to the idea of bus homes, I've been plotting and working toward eventually living out of a bus for the past four years. It's mostly a matter of getting the money together to buy the bus and the materials for building it the way I want.

Aside from that, I do have a question about parking. I know a lot of people rent out space in an RV park and whatnot, but the big reason I want a house bus is because the area I live in (Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX) is huge and I am constantly traveling around it. I very rarely go back to the same place to sleep every night. I'm typically in a different location from night to night.

I'm planning on getting a very small bus (four to six rows), raising the roof and having a sleeping loft on top while the bottom serves as the actual home. Since it's not a full-length bus, it shouldn't take up an obscene amount of space. That being said, if it's uncertain where you're going to be come nightfall, are there places to safely and legally park and camp out for the night? Could I stay in friends' driveways/backyards? Would I have to be dependent on someone letting me use their house space?

This is the biggest uncertainty I have and it's been difficult to find answers for. I know it would make my friends and family more comfortable with my bizarre living choice to know that I have some sort of plan when it comes to actually "living" out of the thing. I love this site and have found it incredibly useful for planning and inspiration, and would greatly appreciate any help I could receive on this issue. Thanks in advance. :)

~Jess
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Parking a (motorhome) on city streets IS something that you can get away with. If you follow a few rules, you may have success. First, do not park on the same street two nights in a row. Move a few streets over. Be sure to black out all your windows with curtains that do not let the lights show. Be quiet (no loud stereo or TV).
When I was in Los Angeles, I had several friends who I would visit weekly to use their shower. I would spend the night parked near their apartments. You mentioned "safely and legally". I had a Doberman dog who didn't bark much. I felt safe with the dog, knowing she would deter anyone from entering my camper. Legally, most cities frown on us "urban campers" setting up residence in one place. Hence, you have to keep moving to different locations.
Aside from just parking on the streets, here are some suggestions. Walmart parking lots are sometimes good for two days in a row. Any 24 hour grocery store is good for a night. Church parking lots are good if you leave early in the morning. Pool hall parking lots are good for one night every week. Pool halls usually have weekly pool tournaments. Coordinate your stay with those nights.
If you find an area where there are houses or apartments being built, you could ask the foreman if you could park there for a while in exchange for watching over the building site during the evenings. You may even find some work. If you are not a carpenter, you could always do clean up for them. If you are ever questioned about staying there, you could say you work there and watch the place at night.
I once parked for months in the driveway of a house we were refurbishing. I also had use of the toilet and shower there. It would be ideal if you could park in a friend's back yard or driveway if the neighbors don't complain. I stayed at a friend's property for three years. I paid him for electricity and was able to use the bathroom in his garage.
In Seattle, I got lucky. At that time, the police were cool about us "urban campers" parking down by the sailboat docks. I spent a year there. There were, at times, 20 campers there at night. I was poor then. I lived on 99 cent Whoppers from Burger King. I used their bathroom every day. I kept the bathroom clean and even fixed some plumbing. The manager knew that I was upkeeping the bathroom and had no problem letting me spend the morning in the parking lot. I also went to the YMCA for showers.
For five years, I lived in the parking lot in an industrial area where I worked for a large shop. I had keys to the building and used their facilities.
Presently, I am on a friend's property where I have electricity. There is a water spigot also. I have to sign up at the gym which is 10 miles away for showers, sauna, etc.
Get new plastic 5 gallon gas cans for water. Find an office building with an outside water faucet. When it is dark, fill up your jugs.
Make a (spy-pee) Drill a hole in your floor and stick a long plastic funnel in the hole. Straddle the funnel and pee. Nobody knows when you are doing that.
I have been "urban camping" for 30 years now.

Remember, blackout curtains, get a dog, be quiet, keep moving.

I hope this helps. If you have more questions, feel free to email me. Rudy
Got love? Give love.
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Rudy pretty well covered it. Good stuff there.

As for security, Texas is a concealed carry state and that is something you might want to consider. Your bus is your home, so you are allowed to have a firearm to protect yourself. The only squirmy area where there is possibility of hassle is while moving, and concealed carry covers that nicely. (Assuming you are over 21.)

If you put holding tanks in it, there are places you can dump (Flying J used to be free, but I think they charge now) like state park campgrounds. Or maybe a private campground for a small fee. If your friends have a handy "cleanout" to their sewer that is accessible, it should be a 4" connection that would fit the normal RV sewer drain hose hookups. Like a driveway or where you can drive the bus around the house to get close to.

Keep us posted. Everyone here is interested in buses/trucks for home conversion and look forward to seeing your vision.

Also, most of the housing additions in my area (Oklahoma) prohibit "camping" in general at someones house, but seem to be very lenient about staying a couple of nights in the driveway or out front while 'visiting' friends, so you probably can get by with quite a bit of that. Might want to casually inquire at city hall and for each of the towns around there.
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Quick question. Hoop dancing...as in Native American, or more like Vivian Spiral??

Or something else?
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Almost forgot - if you are going to raise the roof, make sure to keep it under 13' 6" so you don't have to get oversize permits. And make sure you know exactly what the final as-built to keep an eye on low bridge overpasses so you don't hit one. There is a truckers atlas available at truck stops that shows most of the low bridges, and they are marked, so can see pretty well. Mostly.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Those are good points made by Stealth Camper. I neglected to tell you about my shotgun. Everyone knows the sound of a pump shotgun when you cock it.
Do watch your height on the bus. 13.6 is max. Stay lower if you can.
And I was going to ask, what is hoop dancing? All I could think of was a hula hoop.
I am sure there will be more suggestions about "parking".
Got love? Give love.
kb2iaw

Post by kb2iaw »

If You Raise The Roof ...And Park on local side streets ...BEWARE OF LOW HANGING TREE LIMBS...We Once Ruined The Bimini Top On A Boat ...
Bob

Post by Bob »

Those were the days Rudy! Something Rudy didnt mention was that at the house he was working on (a very upscale neighborhood in Studio City) there was not only his 1966 camper, a Dodge bubble top camper, my 1963 class C and a 1964 Ford van camper! I think we made the neighbors wonder a lot about what was going on there.
We were not very stealth then and of course it did come to an end, I really dont worry too much about urban camping anymore...the worst that can happen is you might get told to move...no big deal. I do remember one night in a residential neighborhood the cops came knocking at my door, I was very tired and just didnt answer...what are they going to do? They finally gave up and I left first thing in the morning.
Wherever I am...I am home.
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Welcome to Sharkey's site.
When I lived in my van I joined a 24 Hour fitness. At that time they all stayed open for 24 hours, now only some locations do. I could stay in their parking lot all night, then in the morning (or any hour) use their toilet and shower, then off to work.

I used that system for awhile, but found that what I liked better, was not staying in their parking lot, but parking in the Park N Ride lots. It looks normal to see something parked there. It was quieter there with just a few cars from the people working the night shift. I would just go to 24 hour Fitness on the way to work. Some of the Park N Rides have Andy Gump toilets Also.

http://www.24hourfitness.com/

I agree with Bob, If vehicle is blacked out, and they can't see you, they get tired of knocking when they are unsure if anyone is even inside. After I put that to the test, and it worked, I never answered the door for them again. Just make sure you are not parked in a tow zone.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

There are a lot of "campers" around San Francisco. The all avoid parking in front of any private residence unless they can claim (and be backed up) by the resident himself. The "rule" seems to be that space in front of or too near private residential property is off limits.

Curbs along city parks are fine; industrial areas are not so good mostly because at night there is _nobody_ around except people you don't want to meet and they might be looking to meet you. People do use the industrial areas but they tend to "raft up" in small groups of say 3 to 5 vehicles spaced over a block or two.

Pay attention to the cops or at least understand that they are paying attention to you. Even though most large city police usually have enough "real" work to keep them busy, even the dumb ones tend to know their area pretty well - IOW except in large 24 hour parking lots they _will_ notice you and sometimes even in the large lots. The idea is to be neat, clean and low impact and absolutely innocuous so they'll let it slide cuz they have more important stuff to do. When (not if) you talk to them try to maintain an absolutely even keel, low key agreeable manner w/out giving away anything you don't have to; when possible dress like a well heeled snow bird or the niece thereof. There was a DVD made a few years ago about how to maintain you rights with the law and avoid getting into more trouble. I'll see if I can find a link somewhere.

Most cities I've checked have laws against sleeping in a vehicle on the street. That means it's totally a matter of the individuals on the job at the time and how they run their turf. Sometimes the legal code references private property - that's one reason the San Francisco campers never park in front of residences.

Small towns are more varied and problematic because the locals usually have more time and interest to check out anything new and different - like you. Also, the whole show is run by one or two people so they have a LOT of authority and can basically do what they feel like - which can be both good and bad. The local kids (18-30 years) also have less to do and are more likely looking for diversion. When I traveled in my van in small towns I tried to park near residential areas where any big ruckus (like my car alarm) would have a chance to bring out the neighbors and the law. I'd stop near a park with homes across the street or, if necessary, I'd park on a residential street more or less _between_ two properties so I was maybe in no-mans land. I was traveling in a full size window van at the time.

People have mentioned a dog. Unless you're deathly allergic, it'd be a real good idea to fall in love with a large dog who clearly feels it needs to protect you and will say so. Animals are a lot of work (if you do it right) but a good dog is worth more than any other single bit of security available. They also (if you arrange good ventilation so they don't bake) make the best burglar deterrent while you're out on business.

I don't think carrying a gun is smart unless you're well and currently trained and have some police experience. For the rest of us our society has made the gun a symbol and fetish, a hot button that does nothing but distract us and give us delusions - which can get us hurt.

You can do this and it can be GREAT out there. But don't go thinking it'll be like a vacation cruise ship - unless you're only going to play around for a few weeks. Being self reliant takes work and _applied_ common sense. You gotta look sharp and pay attention and keep your body and attitude and home and relationships all clean, oiled and humming w/out the usual buffer between you and the bottom line. The bottom line is real close on the road. But that makes it all the more real and you can come out of it way richer in many ways.

Here's a link to a guy who's been living small for a while and is really into it. Also check out the links on his page to find some others similarly inclined.

http://urbanvandweller.blogspot.com/200 ... d-for.html

Best luck.

Rufus
56farmerjohn

Post by 56farmerjohn »

Good advice, rlaggren... Here in Southern Cali there vlots of folk living in old , decriepent R.V.'s... Most seem quiet and low key... My neighborhood has a couple of em'.... Be careful though ,L.A. cops busted a women dumping her black water tank on the city street...
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Ok. Here's the link to the cop how-to. Turns out it was an ACLU production.

http://www.moviesfoundonline.com/busted.php
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

I was remiss in mentioning firearms for protection without one very important caveat. A dog can be a great security addition.

Caveat; One must FIRST before any other consideration when thinking about a firearm is to decide whether you are willing and able to point the thing at someone and fire it to kill that person.

A gun is much worse than useless if it is just hanging around waiting for you not to use it in the right circumstances. It is the weapon your attacker will take from you and use on you. Seriously.

Brandishing is Hollywood crap and should NEVER be considered as a viable way to "scare" someone away. It won't work.

Sorry I left that out.
Patrick46

Post by Patrick46 »

I lived in the back of a junkyard for free for nearly a year. I was his live-in watchdog.
I too joined a gym, where I took my showers, and worked out while checking out the scenery!! :P
I also had a post office box located 2 blocks from that gym, and it had a nice smaller grocery store right next door for supplies.
My first signshop was in a shared space with my buddies taxidermy studio.
I hardly ever had to go all the way into town for that whole year. Life waz good! 8)
Bob

Post by Bob »

I love this parking without parking forum! I really can't remember the last time I paid for parking anywhere ( my memory isn't all that great...but it has been years) I have been parked in the campground here at Chief Timothy in Washington for the last 5 months with full hook-ups for free. My wife and I both work full time jobs here in the park with pay too...its a pretty cool gig. I am now across the street in a more private place near the shop..its pretty sweet. Its a pretty good way to see the country, make $, and park the rig for 5 or 6 months and work on it. The job ends October something or other...then its time to go have fun and stay where the weather is good. I am considering Austin this year...lots of pool and music happenings there along with great winter weather.
Wherever I am...I am home.