Tire chains

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Stealth Camper

Tire chains

Post by Stealth Camper »

Seems like a few of us live in areas where snow/ice, etc are a concern and tire chains are at least occasionally of interest. I have them for my pickup, but haven't needed them for the bus yet (hopefully soon!)

As part of the adventure, I ran across this little item that just looks very cool. Watch the video. Am not sure about the practical implementation, but I think when it gets to that point, I will try a set on the bus, just to avoid the chain install/remove process. Stayed tuned to look for arrows in my back.

I think the 1915 patent is interesting.

http://www.onspot.com/
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I think that's really entertaining.

A chain flail. Driven off the tyre motion.

I wonder if it's effective.
58 Bedford House
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

I am chuckling. Nice machine that chain thing is. I am wondering if it could deploy in 8 inches of snow. 2 inches of snow? Whilst moving forward through eight inches of snow, would the chain legs be propelled sufficiently enough to find their way to under the tire? Cool idea. Ginger once talked about some automatic chain deploying system that was incorporated into some school bus frames.
Got love? Give love.
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Those are pretty neat. Rudy, I think that is the same one Ginger was telling us about.
Granny

Post by Granny »

Yep, "on spots" are wonderful, but they do have their limitations. They aren't effective in 6" + of new powdery snow. The little chain links get bogged down in too deep of fresh snow. However, they are very easy to "install". When you need chains, you just flip a little switch and have your chains on. If you know you are going to be driving in lots of deep snow, it is still recommended to have the old style chains to use. The on spots are expensive to maintain. If you don't slow down to the proper speed when engaging them, you'll rip of the little chain links. I have driven a few miles with them on.