Granny, have you started on your back porch yet?

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

dburt

Granny, have you started on your back porch yet?

Post by dburt »

Hey Granny- have you started on that back porch for your bus yet?? Been wondering what it will look like, how you will go about making it- so maby this will give you another excuse to start on it soon, if you haven't already! :)
Granny

Post by Granny »

Db, I just saw this {not on a computer any more}. I haven't gotten to start anthing. I hav e been working too hard to do anything. Seems the state won't let me make my tail swing that long. I'll have to shorten the inside in order to have my porch. Also, I have decided to add about six inches to the height (for the sake of taller than me people). I couldn't give away the old bus seats, so am tearing them up for the metal for parts to build things out of. Been building fencing for my Aunt and Uncle here (not panels, just fencing the place).
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Hey Gran

If you take a peek at Rogers site www.housetrucks.com or better yet get a copy of his book "Some turtles have nice shells" There are pic's of some of the oldschool rigs with fold up porches that look like they worked well.
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Patrick46

Post by Patrick46 »

that's a good idea there, Dennis...a fold up deck.

I'm from OR too Granny....how frikken long were you thinking of making your deck anyway??? I don't think OR is all that strict about laws on this.

"Good Times & Good Friends Make Life Better"

www.artworks-unlimited.com
GoodClue

deck ...

Post by GoodClue »

Hi Ginger ...
I'm working up plans for a 3 foot permanent rear deck extension with a railing that drops down for an additional 4 feet ... my bus is only 21 foot bumper to bumper so I'm not even going to worry about state regs, just watching the swing on my extension ... keeping the width to 7 foot ... thinking of a polycarbonate curved roof to let the light through over the 3 foot section ... I want the additional 4 feet for performances when Rudy shows up for the Snake Oil shows ... :wink:
"ya gotta have art ..."
longjohn

Post by longjohn »

Hi.Ginger i dont know the laws here in Maryland, but i have seen some scoolie conversions that have back porches on them but Like Dennis said afold up deck is very popular with the pickup truck camper crowd here . i have seen some as big as seven feet, crank it down ( some guys have feet that slip in tube welded to bottom for suport when setup , and enjoy ......good luck
Take a Child Camping and they will have fun
But take a child Campin,
And they will always cherish,
The memory!!!

Campin,Campin,Campin
Jerry Campbell

Post by Jerry Campbell »

Here's some over hang.

http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=780

I always wanted to ride on my back porch on my housetruck but I could never trust anyone else to drive the crash box with the manual two speed rearend. There was some clutching going on.
Jerry
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Jerry, riding on the back porch would be fun. You might get a ticket for doing that though. One time, a while back, I had to move a couch to a neighbor's house. Some friends and I loaded it on the roof of my Checker car. It was a five mile drive. (no freeway driving). I thought I would have fun sitting on the couch while my friend drove the car. When we got to the only stoplight in town, there was a cop at the intersection. He pulled us over and gave me a $35 ticket for riding outside the car.
Got love? Give love.
Jerry Campbell

Post by Jerry Campbell »

They might bother you in this day and time but in the '70s everybody was doing it. One time I had picked a bunch of hitchhikers and we were cruising, there were several people on the back porch when a cop sped by me going so fast it made me jump. It turns out that he had been behind me for a while then said over his mic to the people on the back porch "man, you guys look like you got it made" and stomped it and took off.
I had many cops come up and tell me that I hadn't done any thing wrong ( which I of course already knew) but could they please see the inside of my house.
I think it's against the law now to ride in the back of a pickup.

I think that you are allowed 2/3 of the wheelbase past the back axel for overhang.
Jerry
Patrick46

Post by Patrick46 »

Jerry...I see folks riding in the back of pick-up all the time out here on the coast. (maybe we've got enough red-necks that the cops don't frown on it.)

and as for riding outsid the rig...check these cats out!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: ...

"Good Times & Good Friends Make Life Better"

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Granny

Post by Granny »

Hey there all. I got to checking into the legalities of putting on my back porch. Guess what, I learned my back porch will be legal. So, now I am waiting for the weather to improve (I am now living in the bus).
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Holy cow Gran, How ya been 8)
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Holy socks! Where you been? Hope all is well!
Wherever I am...I am home.
graydawg

Post by graydawg »

well look what the dawgs drug up, and the cats wouldn't have, everybody has been asking about you, last time I talked with you couldn't get on internet where you were, and I relayed the msg to everyone. Are things looking better now, I seen where you said you could build your porch on the back, you still going to use the horseshoe seats you built I hope so they looked good, Its good to see you back up and going.
James in da GRAYDAWG
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Holy bean socks! How's your cow?
Got love? Give love.