Hello, thanks, and IH Metro-Mite

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

Hope it runs as good or better than it looks.

Just remember your Metro is '50's technology so it won't go and won't stop like 21st century technology vehicles.

Your Metro most likely has an inline six of about 250-270 cubes. It has lots of torque but not a lot of horses. It will get up and go right along but won't be up to keeping up in the hammer lane.

You should be able to get a reasonable 10-12 MPG average, particularly if you don't push it hard out on the highway.

Highway speed will be limited by the rear end ratio. It could be anywhere from a top speed of about 47 MPH to a top speed in excess of 65 MPH with the most likely top speed somewhere in the 52-57 MPH neighborhood.

You might be able to get a Line Setting Ticket (LST) that is the birth certificate for your Metro. It will have everything that was put into your Metro at the time of manufacture. It will also detail where it was sold originally.

The LST is available from www.binderbooks.com. You can also get shop manuals and parts lists applicable to your Metro from them as well.

While the LST is helpful, it has been a long time since your Metro left the factory and who knows what a previous owner(s) may have done to it over the years.
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

And granite kitchen cabinets are the rage now. I just don't get that.
Corian maybe, but Formica definitely.
longjohn

Post by longjohn »

SWEET Man what more do ya need! great lookin truck ............ we need lots of pics. :) Enjoy
Take a Child Camping and they will have fun
But take a child Campin,
And they will always cherish,
The memory!!!

Campin,Campin,Campin
Standaddy

Got it home!

Post by Standaddy »

I'll have more pics in a day or so. A bit dark and wet out right now.
No big surprises so far. Already knew the brakes weren't working. Cranked and ran fine to load it.
I'm not new to old tech., as I've been into old tractors and big trucks for several years. Also have a B61 Mack single-axle tractor, 1961 model, and a 1952 Peterbilt 350. And a 1948 Earthmaster farm tractor. Have owned several antique Ford tractors, and assorted other old stuff. Got a couple 1978 model Garelli mopeds also. Several years ago I restored a 1950 or so Hough HA payloader, since sold.

The Mite is supposed to have a 240 engine, and has a 5-speed OD tranny. Don't yet know the axle ratio, but the guy I bought it from says he's driven it to 60 mph, and thought it would do the 70 that the previous owner claimed, but didn't really trust the tires 'cause they're kinda agey.
As usual the real thing looks a bit worse than the pics, but that's to be expected. I haven't even raised the doghouse to look at the engine, just loaded it and hauled. I already knew I was taking it home unless it was a real disaster, and 980 miles makes a pretty full day.

Appreciate the comments, and especially the source for the line ticket.

I"ll post more pics as soon as I can. Gotta get back to work tomorrow. Whoops, that's today now!

Stan
Standaddy

Post by Standaddy »

Learned a bit more about my "new" house today. Seems it's really a Metro-Lite, rather than a Metro-Mite. I've found very little info on the web, but quite sure of that much. The body is aluminum/magnesium, roof and front-end fiberglass. Think the drivetrain is original, and a BD220 rather than 240 as it was advertised. The tranny is a 5-speed overdrive. Still don't know which rear axle. Nothing new, but just another reminder that some folks just can't tell the truth when selling something. The "rebuilt" carburator might have been rebuilt, but not in the last decade or so. The 2 new wheel-cylinders must have been squeezed in through the gap between drum and backing plate, because the lug-nuts haven't been off in years, before the wheels were painted. Anyway, about what I've come to expect when buying on e-bay. Matter of fact, now that I think about it, that's why I usually call it fleabay.
Got the carb off for a re-build. Hope to find a kit tomorrow. Still happy to have the thing. Wife even likes it.
Stan
longjohn

Post by longjohn »

"Still happy to have the thing. Wife even likes it. "
You are ahead of the game, cause if Momma likes it, the battle is won :) enjoy..............................
Take a Child Camping and they will have fun
But take a child Campin,
And they will always cherish,
The memory!!!

Campin,Campin,Campin
Patrick46

Post by Patrick46 »

...'cause if Momma's happy...everybodys happy!!! :lol:

I used to own a '63 Metro that looked just like yours, 'cept mine was a bit longer. (and i'm not completely sure of the year anymore)
mine was #3 in my stepvan fleet. (I'll see if I kin post a pic.)

but your's is a cutie!!! (being a truck driver, I'm sure you like all those lights!!) Mine was really stable to drive, but 50 mph was pushing it pretty hard...so I'm jealous of your OD. I LOVE IT!!! 8)

"Good Times & Good Friends Make Life Better"

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Standaddy

Post by Standaddy »

Patrick,
You made me realize what attracted me to he Metro. Chicken lights! I knew there was something that I couldn't quite put my finger on.
And yep, Momma's happy so I can keep on keeping on.
Stan
graydawg

Post by graydawg »

I had to go back again and look at the pictures and they do qualify as chicken lights, add a few hundred foot of rope lights and you could be a super trucker and of course a generater to run all those lights would be nice too. would be a good reason to add generater in case mama objects. I believe they were using that same truck to transfer mail between post offices back in the sixties, my dad worked for the post office so I spent some time at all the post offices in shreveport La while growing up, even had the opportunity to ride in a three wheeled cushman scooter a couple of times, at such a young age that was a thrill back then.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

graydawg wrote:I ... had the opportunity to ride in a three wheeled cushman scooter a couple of times
Ride in one? Hell, I owned one.

It was my first "car", the back compartment was all pimped out with lights, a radio, carpet, etc. Unfortunately, the three-wheel design was a bit unstable, and after Arnold Olsen (kid from high school) broadsided it with his parent's Grand Prix, I needed a new ride. I almost need some new legs as well, as it tipped over, I fell underneath and got the mother of all road rash from the experience! My knees and feet still have the scars.
dadeo

Post by dadeo »

Cool ride! I like those things. Nice picture, I miss southern Cali!!
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Sharkey you wildman you, My daughter would saw off her arm to have one of those 8) Theres one out here where im parked and the people want 6 grand for it. I told them they were dreaming. Sure is a fun ride though.
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

I would agree that if Momma likes your new ride more than half the battle has been won!

While a 5-speed is a bit unusual, a 5-speed OD is very unusual. I would have expected to find a 4-speed with a granny low gear.

If the 5-speed OD was OEM it makes one wonder who purchased it originally and for what purpose.

I am more familiar with the small IHC V-8's than with the small inline 6's. IIRC, I think there isn't much difference externally between the 220 and the 240. And as far as performance goes, not a lot of difference either. I know most of the externals will fit both.

Here is a link that should help you on your carb http://www.ihonlynorth.com/forums/carb- ... stuff.html
Standaddy

Post by Standaddy »

Mark, I've done a little more learning about what I bought. The reason I thought it was a 220 was 'cause that's what's embossed across the bottom of the pan. Found out that the 220's, 240's, and 264's all had the same. So, it just may be a 240 as it was advertised. Haven't checked far enough to know for sure yet. The 5-speed OD is a transplant, I think probably by the guy who "motorhomed" the Metro, in '62 according to the e-bay listing. I suspect it originally had a 3-on-the-tree, as I've found a couple of bell-crank-looking devices underneath the truck that are no longer used, which I suspect were part of the shifting contraption. The top-of-the-tranny stick in the floor would have been a very great hindrance to a milk-truck driver. The 5-speed shift pattern is somewhat unusual. Most older big-truck OD tranny's that I'm familiar with had 4th and 5th positions flipped, with 5th toward the dash. Same here, but 1st and reverse are also flipped, with low also being toward the dash. And it is quite low, so normally you can start in second, so I wouldn't be surprised if the original dash-plaque for the shift pattern might have said,
Low 1st 4th
Rev 2nd 3rd

The link you provided is where I learned all about the Holley 1904, which I've already rebuilt. Runs sweet now. Also worlds of info at the binderplanet site. Already spent time there, and more to come.
Anyway, lots of fun gettin' to know a new project.
Stan
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Heres the one down the road from my parking lot for 6 grand, im thinking it will be there for a little while
Sharkey wrote:
graydawg wrote:I ... had the opportunity to ride in a three wheeled cushman scooter a couple of times
Ride in one? Hell, I owned one.

It was my first "car", the back compartment was all pimped out with lights, a radio, carpet, etc. Unfortunately, the three-wheel design was a bit unstable, and after Arnold Olsen (kid from high school) broadsided it with his parent's Grand Prix, I needed a new ride. I almost need some new legs as well, as it tipped over, I fell underneath and got the mother of all road rash from the experience! My knees and feet still have the scars.
Image[/img]
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.