None Finer ANYWHERE!!!

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Patrick46

None Finer ANYWHERE!!!

Post by Patrick46 »

Hey guys...I though you all might like to check out this housetruck, owned and built by my friend John Drsicol, from the Portland area.

The truck is a 1949 Federal. John originally bought the truck back in '71, and repowered it shortly after with a Pontiac 455, that has low compression pistons so he can run regular pump gas in it. It also has an Edelbrock intake & carb. This is hooked up to a 5 speed tranny, that runs through a 2 speed rear end...so John has 10 foreward gears in her. He averages about 7-10 mpg in her!!! :shock:

He finally got the exterior done in about 1975. (which is about the time when the photo if it, appearing on the bottom of page 24 in Roger's Turtle book, was taken.) He didn't get the interior done until about 1983...but like most projects like this...he's constantly fine tuning it to perfection.

Now...I've been in ALOT of beautiful housetrucks & busses...but the workmanship in John's Federal is OUTSTANDING!!! I've never seen one that came even close to the quality of this build...it's that nice!
His cabinetry in this truck is absolutely beautiful! The fit & finishwork is georgeous. His eye for creative design and harmony are of a quality rarely seen these days. The way it all blends together is enough to take your breath away. And he did it all himself.

So...for your viewing enjoyment...John's '49 Federal Housetruck...

http://img571.imageshack.us/i/10025a.jpg/
http://img574.imageshack.us/i/10025.jpg/
http://img4.imageshack.us/i/10024a.jpg/
http://img293.imageshack.us/i/10024.jpg/

And of course...here's John inside his truck...
http://img842.imageshack.us/i/33559913.jpg/

btw...this truck doesn't just sit in his backyard and get used as a reading room...no way...

John has had this housetruck in every state West of the Mississippi, and once again this past spring, he & his wife hit the road to Southern Arizona and all over the Southwest for nearly a month, hitting the A H T S National Antique Truck Show in Pleasanton Cal this past May on the way home. They put 4000 new miles on her odometer this spring!!! (how many of you can make such a claim...in such a rig!!!)

Well...I just had to share this absolutely beautiful creation with yas!!! It is such a nice truck, how could I not share it??
(plus...I knew you guys would appreciate it!)

Happy trails!! 8) [/img]

"Good Times & Good Friends Make Life Better"

www.artworks-unlimited.com
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Stunning!
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Yeah, what Stu said ... 8)
58 Bedford House
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Here are the pics.

Got love? Give love.
Patrick46

Post by Patrick46 »

Thanx Rudy...I knew you'd come to my aid!!! 8)

still...these pics don't do it justice.

"Good Times & Good Friends Make Life Better"

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

Nice!

One has to wonder about the choice of engine however. A 455 Poncho has a lot of go but not a lot of grunt compared to 472 Caddy or 413 Dodge. For that matter an IHC SV345/392 would have been about the same size as the Poncho with a lot more grunt.

Regardless, if he got it to work for him, more power to him.

Any idea what the original engine was?

A more period correct engine would have been a Hall-Scott or IHC Red Diamond.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Wow, Very nice rig
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Standaddy

Post by Standaddy »

Yessir, that's some fine work. Georgous.
Mark, your observations cause me to wonder if your approach to the housetruck world might be similar to mine. When I first got Roger Beck's housetruck book, I kept looking at the fine old trucks the house's were built on, and thinking, "they didn't say anything about that beautiful old Westcoaster, or Federal, or 22 White, or whatever.
Anyway, love that beautiful woodwork, even though I have no talent in that area. I'm a machinist, fabricator, etc, but just can't make the wood speak.
Stan
dburt

Post by dburt »

An old masterpiece! :)
longjohn

Post by longjohn »

SWEET!
Take a Child Camping and they will have fun
But take a child Campin,
And they will always cherish,
The memory!!!

Campin,Campin,Campin
GoodClue

House truck ...

Post by GoodClue »

Beautiful :!: Gypsy tradition and craftmanship ... congratulations. Love the deck too ...
GoodClue
"ya gotta have art ..."
moki

Nice very nice Federal

Post by moki »

Craftsmanship is impeccable..............Style maybe an old trolly sitting car.............not my style, but very nicely done..............I guy could surely hang there.................Now as to the Running gear.................I have lots of experience with the Red Diamond. and they can still be had. Mine was a 501, straight six, Carter two Barrel Carb, ungoverned..............It was in my 36ft Western Flyer......Loved that Bus. Still do. I can remember hand fabricating, from two very large sheets of Copper, the Head Gaskets for this engine................If one would fit under that hood, I think it may have been a bit deeper than a V8.....but it might fit, there's a lot of Hood there..........Anyway this thing was pretty much bullet proof, and had insane torgue.............best part was it got incredible gas mileage...........I mean incredible.............I know for sure over 10 even with my foot in it......Had a Six-speed Allison Tranny, with an electric/hydraulic clutch...........huge torque converter. depress the button on the shifter, shift the pattern, let up on the button and your in gear................nice. Think was heaven to drive..........I'd love to have that tranny in my Crown...........I guarantee That John would notice a vastly enhanced level of performance, as well as efficiency, with a good ol fashioned International Harvester Red Diamond.........remember they had the Blue, Black, Diamonds respectively..............that's my take...........Moki