What's a good high mph mid size desiel bus to convert over

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

heartsong98109

What's a good high mph mid size desiel bus to convert over

Post by heartsong98109 »

Hey gang, Da Bear here. I have been thinking of converting a mid-size diesel bus over to living accomodations. I've survived to 54 but life has left a mark or two and I will probably retire shortly on a modest disability retirement from social security and one way of maintaining independence is to live in an affordable abode. But gas and diesel are going up and being single I don't need the room of a big bus so I was wondering if folks out there have any ideas of what kind of commuter buses or medium size metro type of bus would fit the bill. I'm thinking something between 24 and 30 feet. Blue bird has a diesel pusher in the 30 foot catagory, but I have no knowledge of gas mileage, dependability etc. Is there anyone out there who does. I'm also considering a house truck along the same lines, mid-sized, fair to good gas mileage etc. I'm wondering if there is anything that get's around 15+ mpg. Due to back and other problems I'll have to go automatic transmission which won't help gas mileage, but them's the breaks. Any help appreciated. Dabear.
Dabear
cowlitzcoach

Which bus?

Post by cowlitzcoach »

When it comes to determining which bus is best, so many different variables come into play that it is impossible to choose the most desirable bus.

If you are looking at low cost to purchase, low cost to maintain, and ease of operation it is hard to beat a school bus. Most school buses were designed and built on medium duty truck chassis which means parts and service are available in almost every major city. The newer models have modern diesel engines and automatic transmissions that are able to turn in honest 10-12 MPG in school bus service. Most are able to maintain freeway speeds most of the time. Most have at least 76" of headroom. And most schools are now trading their equipment in long before they are completely worn out.

Regardless of who built the bus you choose the most important things to look for are rust, rust, and more rust. You can fix just about anything but a rust bucket isn't worth the effort.

You will pay more for buses that are not conventionals, even if the power train is identical. It isn't always worth the extra $$$ to have a Type 'D' bus.

From your address I see you live in the greater Seattle area. Currently the state surplus warehouse in Auburn has some buses for sale. Some are great and in super condition. Others are not much more than a chicken coop on wheels. You should be able to find a good rust free, diesel powered bus with an automatic transmission.

I am in the process of getting rid of almost all of my extra equipment: an older Gillig with a new engine and a 5-speed, a 1989 Thomas Saf-T-Liner RE with a new transmission, a IHC/Bluebird with an automatic, and three diesel powered Ford mini-buses (all three have bad transmissions).

If you have any specific questions feel free to contact me.

Good luck.

Mark O.
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Which bus?

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

You can find me in Castle Rock, WA.

Mark R. Obtinario, owner
Cowlitz Coach

Re: Which bus?

Post by Guest »

Mark R. Obtinario wrote:You can find me in Castle Rock, WA.

Mark R. Obtinario, owner
Cowlitz Coach
Thanks for the input Mark it was very helpful. I would have emailed you directly, but my server isn't letting me go through Sharkey's system, soo I'm contacting you here. If you email me I'd like to talk to you, thanks again. Dabear
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

Hi,

I couldn't access your e-mail address from your profile. You can try e-mailing me directly at cowlitzcoach@kalama.com.

Mark O.