Fifth Wheel Trailer From Scratch

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

Banjo!!! They told me that was a saxophone!

Jim
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Exxon just found a few more gazillion barrels in the gulf. What is that, about 3 days worth?

And Saudi has repeatedly said their target for oil is 60 to 70 dollars a barrel. Enough so they get blind rich - even more - but not so much that we get serious about alternative energy sources.

I think we are gonna see oil where the Saudi's want it (+/_ a few dollars) for a long time. They want us hooked and unable to get loose.
Jesper The Dane

Post by Jesper The Dane »

Stealth Camper wrote:Exxon just found a few more gazillion barrels in the gulf. What is that, about 3 days worth?

And Saudi has repeatedly said their target for oil is 60 to 70 dollars a barrel. Enough so they get blind rich - even more - but not so much that we get serious about alternative energy sources.

I think we are gonna see oil where the Saudi's want it (+/_ a few dollars) for a long time. They want us hooked and unable to get loose.

And I think you are dead right spot on, Stealth Camper! 8) We didn't start to exploit the oil in our underground in Scandinavia until the Middle East made the oilcrisis in the 70'ties. But it seems that we keep finding new oil, accept it's getting harder to get to.

And Jim, just yesterday I read about a new japanese invention. A smallsized machine turning plastic into oil. The inventor wants to give his invention to the world for free - if that machine is worth anything on a larger scale, I think his a nice fella!!! :wink: And if it work as good as the pictures shows, it might be we're not running out of fuel in any foreseeable future...

I know from the media that things are pretty bad for common people in the US these days. But take a look back in history, and you'll see that you guys always made it. That's one of the things making your nation great after all... I live in a country with only 5.5 million citizens, and all we can do is trying to cope in the world were other countries makes the rules...

I'm not as pessimistic about the future as some might be. I think that hardship brings up the best in people, and I'm confident that you and your wife will make whatever discission that is best for you - and I wish you all the best of luck in doing it.

On my side, we're looking for a barbone chassis to build a self supporting housetruck on in the next couple of months. We are in a situation were we are having a steady income that provides our living, pays the rent and bills - but doesn't leave much to save. Therefore we need to get out of this house that costs us $2000 a month + transportation + heating and electricity + food. All very expensive here. We have set a goal to be out of here by May 2012!
:wink:
Wish me luck!!! :D

Jesper
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Jim

Your thoughts on fuel expense resonate. I figure $10/gal or so in 2021 with incomes for most people little more than they are now - iow real income for most working people will decline by about 25-30%, mostly due to our paying military and medical expenses.

When looking at living (as opposed to travel for pleasure) I'm not sure homes on wheels make sense. Your situation (lots of sweat but nice place) can be found everywhere with some careful searching - I think. If so, that means that the extra expense of mobility may not have any return at all compared with just packing up into an extended E350 or cube and moving in somewhere new if you need to. Except that in 5-10 years you (or I) may not feel like doing so much work again; and _maybe_ a vehicular home would cost less monthly in rent. Hard to say, though, because you have to figure maintenance, rent, sewer (or something), shopping mobility (you're likely way farther out of town)... Not sure how that all adds up.

But structures for living more or less permanently and structures for moving are kind of at odds design-wise; if you don't have fit them both into the same structure then which ever _one_ (habitat or travel) you build will be a much better system w/out all the compromises. Putting both together in the same vehicle only shines when you must plan on moving frequently and with little prep, probably more than once a year. And per above, movement isn't cheap any longer, although it may not be _too_ expensive for another 5 years or so...

Your semi trailer idea may have serious merit as the best of both worlds. But to make it worth while, you'd have to keep it roadworthy and that means legally as well as mechanically.

Rufus
tamangel
Roving Reporter

Post by tamangel »

found this blog re an older post I put up back a page, dated 4 Feb 2011:

orirginal url in message re: semi trailer conversion:
blog/pics/progress:
http://truckconversion.blogspot.com/200 ... chive.html

Mike
Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

Kramden has left the building!

I had our Flex Metro transit advertised for parts. I was going to scrap the carcass. A fellow called on Monday and made a reasonable offer for the whole shebang. Yesterday he left with Kramden in tow. It's the end of a ten year era.

That means I can focus on the next phase, but I still don't know what that means. I'm looking at both drop-deck semi trailers and MCI C3 busses. I'll probably go with the first available unit that "feels right." Price is a factor. The trailer would be quicker and easier to build in, but a bus would be self-mobile. I'd rather not go through removing bus windows and reskinning, but I will if necessary. One of the things I like about C3 shells is that they have 6'10" ceilings. I'm 6'5", and the extra head room is appreciated. No ceiling height issues in a semi trailer.

I'm convinced we won't be moving much, but I want the mobility option.

Right now I need to put more time and effort into the garden and the shack we live in. Kramden was in the way of both in several senses. I'm grateful for the freed up space in my head and for not having to spend the time dismantling the bus carcass.

Maybe the next step will now become more clear.

Jim
tamangel
Roving Reporter

Post by tamangel »

somewhere........I ran across a group of folks and associated web site that collected/restored Step vans of all types.. Great resource on the web...but can't locate it at the moment..

in the mean time, have fun w/ this group of pics.. search word 'Step Van'

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/show ... p?t=282902

Mike