Battery Charger Help

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

ezrablu

Battery Charger Help

Post by ezrablu »

I bought a battery trickler charger/maintainer for my two batteries for my bus. I couldn't spend $80 right now before xmas to buy a weatherproof one so this one can't be left outside all winter.

I have a few questions if anyone can please help me. The first question is, the charger says not to put it in the battery compartment WITH the batteries. So, that means I need to put it inside the bus and run the cables out the window, down to the battery compartment BUT the cables aren't long enough to do this. Does anyone have an answer to how I can keep this little charger out of the Wisconsin winter weather and leave it hooked up to my batteries to trickle charge this winter? I thought perhaps put the charger inside a small rubber tub with a lid...up off the ground. Do you think it's ok to keep it inside a container without burning up or something?

The other question is, what battery do I connect it to? I have two large batteries, parallel connected inside my battery compartment on the side of the bus. There is room for a third battery but I only bought two new batteries since it's just to start my bus.
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
tamangel
Roving Reporter

Post by tamangel »

multiple battery charging question:

check here.. http://www.batteryminders.com/batterych ... teries.php

Mike
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

thanks!
ezrablu
360 DT - 6 Speed
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

I am going to put my battery charger under the bus in a plastic bin. It will be covered by the bus underneath. I will have to raise it off the ground to get the cables to reach the batteries. I will charge only one at a time. I do not want to run my engine without a load on it anymore.

The reason the manufacturer of the charger suggests that you NOT put the charger in the battery compartment is because when batteries are being charged, they can let off explosive gases. The spark from the charger could ignite them.
Got love? Give love.
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

Thanks, Rudy! I was thinking if I put it inside a plastic bin (rubber tub...lol..must be the hillbilly in me talking) Anyway, something like this:

I could use a small bungee to attach it under my bus, too. But I wasn't sure if it would be ok to enclose the charger itself like that since it will be pretty much air proof, too. Athough, like I said, it will be cold out so it will be kept very cool.
ezrablu
360 DT - 6 Speed
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

> [air tight]

Rudy gave the good set up far as I know.

Can't think of a problem except heat and right now it's cold out (noticed?). The electrics don't need air and if anything a little heat warmth will be better for them.

If you're concerned, take an ice pick or an awl and poke a few holes on the sides near the top and one in each corner of the bottom - to drip out any water that gets in the holes you poke on top; or just poke holes in the bottom. Good Will, Salvation Army, etc make good sources for tubs if you don't buy food or cat litter or something in the requisite sizes... Buckets upside down work well, too.

Of more concern is making sure the power cord connections stay dry, preferably off the ground. 125 volts into a pile of snow you step into, w/the other foot in a puddle, might prove shocking. <g>

Seriously. You have left much of the fool proof designed-in kid-glove consumer product safety measures behind you; you want to think carefully when dealing with anything that might remotely be "bigger than you". Like live electrical power, heavy objects over body parts, compressed air (got hit in the ankle by an air hose that blew it's end off - not fun), flammables, combustion gases from heating appliances (CO poisoning)... Even icy patches on the ground. Those big signs that start "Hard Hat Area - Safety is Everybody's Business" tell it like it is. You now live in a "hard hat area". Most of it's just common sense and a willingness to take the time and trouble to be careful. Like keeping space blankets in the glove compartment.

Rufus
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

I think when they say not to put the charger in the batery compartment im guessing there worried about the batteries off-gasing but I've had my 2000 watt xantrex inverter/charger right next to 8 gulf cart batteries for about 2 years and a 3000 watt xantrex inverter/charge in the same baggage compartment with 10/318 lb deep cycle batteries for almost 4 years and I haven't blown myself up once 8) It may not be a good idea but it must be pretty safe :wink:
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Yah, What Rudy said 8)
Rudy wrote:I am going to put my battery charger under the bus in a plastic bin. It will be covered by the bus underneath. I will have to raise it off the ground to get the cables to reach the batteries. I will charge only one at a time. I do not want to run my engine without a load on it anymore.

The reason the manufacturer of the charger suggests that you NOT put the charger in the battery compartment is because when batteries are being charged, they can let off explosive gases. The spark from the charger could ignite them.
Peace along the way
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

Rufus...thanks for your input. Great idea about using an empty cat litter container! I just happen to have got one from my sister this summer "in case I could use it for something". It has a snap down lid and a handle like a bucket so I can hang it from the handle. And right on about the safety awareness. I live in farm country and there are some crazy strange accidents I hear about. As for me, I'm no mechanic; I don't know much about batteries or engines and even less about diesels. And I'm not much of an electrician either and have been electrocuted before. It hurts. ALOT :shock:

Dennis :D maybe there's more air circulating into those compartments than you know...I'm glad you haven't blown up yet :lol:
ezrablu
360 DT - 6 Speed
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

Ok, a couple more things....which I hope this isn't too silly of questions.

Do I have to disconnect that battery charger before I start the bus? If so, can I just leave it connected but just unplug the charger?

Is it necessary or better that I still start my bus every so often this winter even though I'll have that charger on it? If so, for what other reasons would it be necessary or good that I run the bus other than keeping the batter charged.
ezrablu
360 DT - 6 Speed
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Ezrablu, It is Mark Obtinario ( our resident diesel guru) who suggests that one should not run the diesel engine without a load on it. For example, taking it for a ride. Apparently, the cylinders don't get warm enough to expand, thereby possibly allowing gas bypass in the cylinder walls, due to the compression rings not seating fully.

I think Mark has some wise advice.
Got love? Give love.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I like to start my diesel often , at least every 2 weeks , but thats only part of my plan.
I also make sure I drive it somewhere , even if its just to the supermarket (14kms).
I like to know that everything is still working, brakes are free , oils are circulated etc .

on the other hand , my old Benz 300D sat for 12 yrs , when it was ready to go , the oil was changed, a fresh battery was bought , car started and driven 500miles , no issues!

So both plans can work 8)
58 Bedford House
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Here's a topic describing why you don't want to let your diesel idle for long periods: http://www.mrsharkey.com/forum/vwtp.php?t=375 The gist of it is that it's a good thing to start your engine once in a while (every month or two) but don't let it sit idling for a long time in order to bring it up to operating temperature. Much better to drive it, applying a load to the engine so it heats up normally and fully.

The reason that it's a bad idea to put electronics in the same compartment with batteries is partly due to the explosive nature of hydrogen, which is given off by batteries when they are charged, but also because one of the by-products of charging is hydrogen sulfide gas, which is very corrosive. The circuit boards inside a battery charger (or an inverter, Dennis) will eventually collect a conductive film caused by this gas and moisture from the air. Once enough of it builds up, the circuit boards will begin to conduct between the traces and components, and bad things will begin to happen, perhaps in a destructive manner.

Putting electronics in a sealed container is protective, but you have to be sure that there is not an excessive heat buildup. Alternately, a sealed container with ventilation to clean air could be provided.
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

Very good info, thanks for the answers and advice. Once I dig myself out (again) of this snow tomorrow, I'll head over to hook up the charger.

I had unplugged the fuel heater the other day because somebody told me I shouldn't leave it plugged in if I'm not going to be running the bus. I don't know if that's true? I thought it would be better for the fuel to stay warmed up instead of gelled up. So I'm not sure if I should keep it plugged in or not?

I'll snap some photos after I get that charger rigged up :shock:
ezrablu
360 DT - 6 Speed
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

I’m not sure about leaving a fuel heater plugged in but theree ar fuel stabilizers the you just add to your fuel tank to keep the fuel him gelling and they ad lubrication to the engine as well
Peace along the way