Tires and wheels

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

There are a couple of IHC websites you may want to visit in order to get some help with your 'binder. www.ihonlynorth.com and www.justih.org

Both sites have some great forums with a lot of people who are willing to help.

Admittedly, the sites are geared more to the Scout folks but the engine stuff is the same.

I know that there are differences between some of the SV engines when it comes to stuff like fuel pumps. But off the top of my head I don't remember all of them.

In regards to tires, stay away from the big names. You will never wear the tires out so why pay the extra $$$ for name brands. A set of good used tires will be more than adequate unless you plan on driving 100K miles per year.

Back in the day, with a lot of massaging and tweaking we were able to get a bus of the same vintage with the same power package to get over 7 MPG on route. You should be able to consistently get over 6 MPG with that power package.

If you currently have bias ply tires you may have tube type wheels. Spend the extra $$$ for a set of tubeless wheels. A good set of wheels should cost about what a new set of tubes will cost. You will have the advantage of tubeless (read that ride smoother) and if you should ever have to replace a tire out on the road you really don't want to have to pay for a tube type tire.
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

Hoarding is in the eyes of the beholder :D

Hey, even if you never get it back on the road, you can still make it awesome inside and a great place to hang out, camp in your yard, an office or for guests....it's just too cool to have the options, isn't it? I've even planned already what I'll do to my bus if it ever becomes dormant...picket fence and all 8)

And then I'll buy another one :D
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Thanks Mark. Am glad you are here (as well as everyone else!!!!!) to pick your brain.

Yes, tube type. I found new wheels at $100 each. Am looking for used now. There are a couple of truck salvage around here and I bet there is gonna be a set of wheels on one of the trucks or buses they have.

IHC sites - good to know. Will be looking there.
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Just got a wild hair... wonder how it would work if converted this bus to 6 wheel drive, made it into offroad machine? Take it to Moab. Wouldn't have to go "up and down" so much in the outback, could just span some of the holes with the long wheelbase!

Would then have to get another bus for conversion... diesel next time.
Headache

Post by Headache »

Stealth Camper wrote:Wouldn't have to go "up and down" so much in the outback, could just span some of the holes with the long wheelbase!
That would be an expensive seesaw if you ever high centered it on something!
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

I have a cautionary tale that happened to me this last week or two. Not looking for sympathy, just letting all know the warnings on labels sometimes are serious. Case in point; Naproxen sodium (Aleve)

Was told a month or so ago it is pretty good for bone, joint, nerve pain, especially with a tylenol. (I have some crushed disks, arthritis on the vertebrae, carpal tunnel, etc) Yep, worked nicely, just taking one a day, about 4 days a week. I don't use much, but am apparently VERY sensitive to the stuff. Last couple weeks have been feeling little out of sorts. Two weeks ago "caught" a flu bug. Typical symptoms.

Got really bad week ago, so was off work for a day. By Friday night - miserable - stopped all meds and food. Same flu symptoms, but add internal bleeding. Sunday night, went to ER. (Wish I had gone Friday!)

Long story short, got some morphine, a few Lortabs, and am permanently off Naproxen. As of today (Thurs) it looks like there is good chance the bleeding has stopped.

Every doctor, nurse, receptionist, and a couple guys on the street told me on the way that Naproxen is rough on the stomach. Yep, they are right.

So I guess the cautionary part of this is to be aware of what the label says and be careful when taking stuff you haven't experienced before. Watch for weird side effects. Am sticking with tylenol from now on, and if that won't cut it, going straight to Lortab. (Unless I can talk the doc into some demerol...)

Have missed getting on the site and have tried to catch up this evening. Greetings everyone!!
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

wow Stealth...scary stuff! Glad they figured it out fast and I hope you're healing up quickly. I've heard that Naproxen has some bad side effects :shock:
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
Bob

Post by Bob »

Have you looked into shark cartilage? Its supposed to do wonders and the only side effect is that it might cure cancer. Besides,,,this IS Sharkeys! I hope you get to feeling better!
Wherever I am...I am home.
Headache

Post by Headache »

That sucks Stealth and you are not alone, something similar happened to me with the flu-like symptoms and bleeding but mine was where the sun doesn't shine.

I've been experimenting going raw and I can say that after one month of experimenting I have reduced symptoms in a lot of things including arthritis and carpal tunnel. I have much less pain because the way I am eating now no longer contributes to the swelling that causes the type of pain we have.

I was hesitant at first because of my personal preferences for food(sweet tooth and a meat tooth) and thought I would be completely miserable eating a raw vegan diet. Someone pointed out to me that I was miserable already and asked me what the difference would be.

So far it's working and I'm less miserable. I no longer take any pain medication except on rare occasions that I actually have pms symptoms, so I'm ingesting less toxins overall now. Food is medicine.
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

You why they named it PMS?
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

I have reread and find no comments, so please forgive me repeating myself.

Tire question; went to my friendly neighborhood tire dude again and while talking about converting to tubeless wheels for the Dayton hubs, a comment was made that seems more odd the more I think about it.

The guy told me that plain old cooking oil (Wesson party type) as a coating on the sidewalls would help preserve the rubber.

Have been afraid of Armorall for a while, 'cause I have been under the impression that petroleum based stuff would hurt rubber (??). But how about cooking oil??? (I use RV type tire covers, too to keep sun off the tire).

Any insights???
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

I can tell you for a fact that the esters in vegetable oil attack and dissolve rubber, so if melting the top layer of a tire's sidewall is some kind of preservative measure, go for it. Otherwise, keep the sun off the tires and avoid climates that include a lot of ozone. Nothing lasts forever.
Dualfuel

Post by Dualfuel »

Whoa!
The esters in biodiesel attack rubber. There aren't any esters in vegtable oil. You make them when you trans estrify the oil.
I bet the mechanic guy was referring to how vegtable oil, like linseed oil, polymerises. Think of the black gunk on the vegtable oil containers behind the restaurants.
I do agree though, I wouldn't want that black polymer gunk on my tires, it would look pretty hideous.
I wonder what would be a good coating. RTV?
DF
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

I am very leery of the idea, and just anything oil related, so will just continue on the way I am for now. The covers help. And yep, nothing lasts forever.

Would that there was such a thing as magic!!

Thanks!
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Dualfuel wrote:The esters in biodiesel attack rubber. There aren't any esters in vegtable oil. You make them when you trans estrify the oil
Oh, there most certianly are esters in vegetable oil! Vegetable oil is made up of esters in the form of fat (80%) and glycerin (20%), plus some fatty acids.

From Wikipedia:
Animal and plant fats and oils are typically made of triglycerides which are esters containing three free fatty acids and the trihydric alcohol, glycerol.
Transesterfication doesn't make anything, it separates the esters from the glycerin. The resulting fuel is known as Methyl Ester (biodiesel).

Being part owner of a 15 million-gallon-per-year commercial biodiesel fuel production facility makes me somewhat of an expert on the subject. :D