does anyone know about orion buses

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Dabear

does anyone know about orion buses

Post by Dabear »

Detroit Diesel 6v-92
Allison 3speed transmission
59000 on odometer
Bio-diesel compatible
Reduced to $24 500
Orion is a 3-speed automatic, 35ft. diesel pusher - 1200 miles on a tank and located in Port Townsend, WA

I found an advertisement about this bus and was wondering if anyone knew of their dependability, quality, mpg etc. I know the company is still in existence, but not much else. Owner says 59,000 miles on him (Name is Orion) so anyone got any insight. Thanks, Dabear PS and isn't anything biodiesel compatable if you're willing to take the risk. Don't you just start putting the new fuel in or is there more to this process. I know the animal fats cause increase problems, but are there specific modifcations to make a diesel engine bio-diesel compatable? Thanks folks, it will be forums like this sharing information between people, selflessly in a carrying manner that eventually saves this earth. Love to all from Dabear
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Hey Dabear;

Can't say about the Orion, but here's the skoop on Biodiesel:

ANY diesel engine will run on Biodiesel, but will keep running only so long as the fuel system has no natural rubber products in it. All of the fuel lines must be either metal or a synthetic material such as Viton or Urethane. Biodiesel turns rubber into black goo in no time. The higher the concentration of the blend, the faster it eats away the rubber.

Additionally, the injection system must be compatible. Basically, anything manufactured since 1999 - 2000 is for sure safe. I'm currently rebuilding one of my business partner's 1981 VW Rabbit injection pumps, installing new shaft seals, as it crapped out this week after a year and a half of B100 use. The main seal where the pump is driven from the timing belt gave out and that was the end, no more starting/running. He also had a long term leak where the control shaft exits the pump, I'll be fixing that also. My own Pusher died a couple of weeks ago from similar causes. Here's a thread over at the GTD forum about that. I'll be adding to that thread as I get Thomas' Rabbit put back together and running.

Biodiesel will also eat radiator hoses, timing belts, fan belts, the soles of your shoes and will strip latex gloves right off your hands in about 5 minutes, so it's important to not slop it around. All of this and it's still non-toxic, biodegradable, renewable, non-polluting and carbon neutral. Makes great paint stripper too!
Dabear

Thanks for the replys Sharkey

Post by Dabear »

Thanks Sharkey, the guy wrote in the add as you can see said that the bus was bio-diesel compatable. So maybe he's got it changed over for all the gas lines etc. In any cases between what I've read from your forum and others I would not change anything over to bio-diesel. I mostly was interested in the bus and curious as to how one could be bio-diesel ready. Now that you've explained the caustic nature of the beast I at least have a guess and more knowledge of the bio-diesel scene. The low mileage alone was interesting to me, 59,000 miles ain't many. Trouble is I'm too new at all this to buy anything yet so I'm in the learning phase. I'll probably go take a look anywho and post questions as I go along and see if any answers show up. Thanks for this forum it's both informative and fun. Any thoughts on Larry Plachno's Intercity Buses book. :+)
Dabearf
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

Orion buses are now owned by Diamler-Chrysler.

Supposedly, any parts should be available through your local Freightliner dealer.

I would bet the Orion you are looking at does not have just 59,000 miles unless it was a real garage queen. Most transit buses will put that many miles on in six months. Even in a smaller transit district a transit bus will put on more than 59,000 miles in a year.

Mark O.