1948 Gillig

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Rudy

1948 Gillig

Post by Rudy »

Chuck sent me this link to Portland Craigslist.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/rvs/2145654025.html

It is one of the coolest buses I've seen.

Any guesses as to top cruising speed and mpg?

Here are the specs and the pics.

1948 Gillig Bus - $14900 (Portland Or)

Date: 2011-01-05, 2:55PM PST
Reply to: sale-2jsah-2145654025@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Here is a classic blast from the past. This One Family Owned coach has had many upgrades. They include; 1988 Model 328 Caterpillar diesel engine, Allison 4sp automatic transmission, New Refrig, Range and Water heater. Other options include: 10" raised roof, 10kw diesel generator, A&E power leveler, 11R 22.5 Alloy wheels, Sony Xplod AM/FM CD stereo, CB raido, Navigation, Sofa/hide-a-bed, Dish satellite system, Double stainless steel sinks, Atwood triple burner cook top w/hood/light/fan, Gas oven, Dometic Classic 2-way refrigerator/freezer, Panasonic microwave oven, Contained central bathroom, Rear queen bed, Dometic roof air conditioner and more... If you are looking for that unique coach that no one else has, this is it. Not only is it a rare classic, it runs and drives fantastic. Come check it out in person for that nostalgic feeling.

Richard 503-777-4299

Got love? Give love.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Might be OK after a paint job and a complete interior remodel. :P
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

It looks pretty good, all things considered.

I would assume the engine is a Cat 3208 since I have never heard of a Cat 328.

The price isn't all that out of line either, particularly when you consider what a 10KW genset would cost just by itself.
bikevision

Post by bikevision »

i like it. fits right in with with the 74 fifthwheel im living in now. but thats just a bit more modern. of course for me i would have to make a work bench somewhere
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

I kind of like the old interior :roll:
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

Me too, Dennis. My granny had a couch exactly like that one when she lived in Arizona. I'm really liking the layout, too. I was looking for ideas to build for an open table/shelf at the end of my couch...I think this might be it. I want it to feel more open and not full of "boxed" in storage cabinets/shelves. I'd make a drink holder hole on the rounded end of the all the shelves that way it could hold 3 drinks....one for a person on the couch, one for someone who might be standing in the kitchen area and one for a person who might be sitting on a big pillow on the floor.

I don't know who those 3 people would be since it's only me...I must be thinking of having a party in my bus :D

Or better yet, I could cut out holes on the bottom shelf to hold my dog Kitty's food and water dishes. It would keep her dishes in place and out of the way, plus her dishes would be close/convenient to where her food would be stored and water in kitchen. I need to save these photos. Thanks Rudy and Chuck!
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

Forgot to mention I REALLY like all those old style light fixures.
ezrablu
360 DT - 6 Speed
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Funny how tastes vary. I thought that the lights were the worst part, right after the couch, the carpet and the chair!
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

:D
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

lol...I'll agree on the carpet Sharkey....but I even like the gold fridge :roll:
ezrablu
360 DT - 6 Speed
longjohn

Post by longjohn »

harvest gold. advacado green and the brown ( dont remember what it was called). course i dont remember this .just read it somewhere :roll: :wink:
Take a Child Camping and they will have fun
But take a child Campin,
And they will always cherish,
The memory!!!

Campin,Campin,Campin
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

longjohn wrote:brown (dont remember what it was called)
Baby diaper brown. :roll:
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

I think the brown was known as coppertone.
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Can't remember the brown name either, but the coppertone was a little more bronze-ish. My mother still has the old 1958 GE coppertone fridge my grandparents bought new. Works like a charm. I plan to inherit it.

I had an avocado and a harvest gold, vintage 1974, that both ended up breaking beyond reclamation (plastic interior parts) or I would still be using them.

Now have a black two door, side by side with ice through door. Don't like it at all.
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

LOL @Sharkey

longjohn and Mark just gave themselves away...those were colors of waaaay back when :D

Now days appliances in good shape in those colors from back then are selling for BIG bucks. Same for original fabrics from the 60's and 70's. I've seen scraps of fabric from curtains or clothing sell on ebay for close to a hundred bucks. I guess some people are really sentimental :roll: :wink:

A pair of Levi jeans from back then can bring a couple thousand bucks on ebay. Better check your closet!

These are fairly recent but I've seen them sell for over $5000
http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.html?L ... p=16&_sc=1
ezrablu
360 DT - 6 Speed